Mere's Thread: 244 lbs and doing an 8K / 22 obstacle course in 188 days!

Options
DH and I signed up for an ***8K / 22 obstacle course on Oct 3rd!!!!*** That's 188 days from now! Why?!?!?!?

Because it's a solid 6 month goal to set and we are committed to making the last three months of changes into a long term lifestyle.

Because we've always wanted to do it and there is no time like the present to make that happen. 6 months is gonna tick by no matter what!

Because it looks like a LOT of fun! Rope ladders, mud pits and sandbag runs :D

My three goals are to work hard to get there, do my best and have a great time!

That's it!

Here's where I am 6 months out:

SW: 270 Jan 2015
CW: 244 Mar 2015
GW: Healthy

Current activity regiment: Solid 26 minutes of HIIT on the bike and 3.5 miles on the treadmill walk/jogging at 5.5mph 5 days a week and intermittent resistance band training. When I started in Jan it was difficult to do 10 minutes of casual pedaling on the bike.

Gonna have to ramp up the intensity to have the stamina to do this! :-) We live in the country and have a 2 mile cross country path we can walk/jog too.

We have wellness checkups on 4/20 with our Dr. who is all about fitness instead of "take this pill" so we'll get his guidance. Hubby is in much better shape than me at this point- but not for long! ;)

I'm going to count down the days to the race and update progress in this thread for my own motivation.

Thanks for reading!
M.

Replies

• nettam3re3
    nettam3re3 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We worked on putting up fences today - quite an upper body workout and a lot of general physical labor. It feels great to be more active. We've been doing more outside over the last few months but today we figured out that it's also great training too. Bonus! We're talking to our friends about joining us for the race. They are very interested :D the more the merrier!
  • nettam3re3
    Options
    Butt busting weekend! Lots of physical labor and sore muscles for building fences and fast walking the trail. Already 50 minutes of cardio today (monday) and feeling great!
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good plan in place :smile: I've just signed up for a 5k obstacle race in 10 weeks. I can do the running part it's everything else I'm not sure about lol. It looks like you are well on your way to getting the stamina for running up. What is your plan for the obstables?
  • nettam3re3
    Options
    Congratulations! Signing up is a great motivation :) I'm going to try to do every obsticle but I've also started doing the penalty exercises because I know I'm not going to be able to do many of them this time. I've also started working on my grip strength so that will help ensure I can do some. The more weight I drop the easier it will be. I have easy access to various plaves to literally hang and swing. No false expectations about being a super athlete just out to have a great challenge and a lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to the event! I'm doing to Battlefrog race in Austin in October. Where are you racing at?
  • silverarcheress
    Options
    Thanks :smile: I wish I had a list of obstacles to work from or knew if there were penalties. However the course I'm doing has lots of inflatables, so I think it's more about climbing cargo nets, going down inflatable slides, going through bouncy castle, balance beams, crawling under nets I think. I don't know if they have monkey bars which is the bit I would be dreading lol :smiley: Great idea on focusing on grip, mine is pathetic! Hopefully I can lose another 5-10lb before the race which will make that easier. What are the typical penalty exercises? Burpees and pushups are ones I've heard of. I'm doing the color obstable rush in the UK. I'm very excited for it!

Do you know what obstacles you'll be facing?
  • nettam3re3
    Options
    It sounds like it e I'll be a great time! Here's the link to the one I'm doing. It's a Navy seal inspired course so no inflatables- lots of terrain obstacles, walls and ropes. They have an 8 point bodybuilder penalty exercise and you can do 10 of those instead of the obstacle. But it looks like it will be a lot of fun to try! http://battlefrogseries.com/battlefrograce/
  • silverarcheress
    Options
    Wow that looks incredible. I think I could do the ladder and climbing bits, the rope traverse though?...not a chance lol. I am going to give the 8 point bodybuilders a go as a part of my training I think.

I decided today I wanted to work on my running speed so I was doing sprint intervals over the course of a mile. I got as fast as 14kph (around 8.5mph) so I'm really pleased. I figure that the speed work will help in strengthening my legs too :smile:
  • nettam3re3
    Options
    166 days to go! I started the C25k program in the mornings and it's been kicking my butt. I'm getting there though! Logged a total of 33 lbs lost since mid January- that's 33 less to lug around, over around and under stuff :) Been watching instagram pics roll in from battlefrog and spartin events. Very motivating! Can't wait to post my first pic from the race.

This week: C25k, HIIT bike and resistance bands all x 5 days. Oh and I'm looking at joining a local Crossfit place and have and wellness checkup :) Got to be ready for October!
  • silverarcheress
    Options
    That's really great. I did C25k when I first started and it is amazing. I now rely on my other activities to keep me fit enough to run a few times a month as I have so many things I like to do :smile: How are you enjoying waking up that early!?

I'm looking forward to the post-race photos too! Mine will be of me covered in bright bright paint :smiley:
  • nettam3re3
    Options
    Waking up early is working out very well for me. There is something so satisfying about stepping out into the calm morning and working my butt off... literally! Can't wait to see your pics! I've seen those color runs- they look like a lot of fun :) maybe that will be the next one for me!
  • silverarcheress
    Options
    One day maybe I can switch to a morning person mentality :smile: ! Heehee to working your butt off, I get it :wink: I like coming home from work and instead of crashing I change and get my feet and body moving. I have realised that a big issue I'm going to have is that my hands aren't rough enough and they don't grip onto anything. I need to start practicing my grip until they don't slip off of everything metal! Haha mud vs colours will be some amazing photos between us I think! How are your 8 count body builders practice going? I can currently do 2, but only drop to half the height for the full pushup or I have to drop to my knees for the pushup. I am working on it! I shall be strong!
  • silverarcheress
    Options
    I managed to run 8km non stop last night:) I've decided I am going to train as if I'm doing your race rather than my one (which is shorter and significantly easier). That way I can be confident of kicking butt. Still need to nail a whole 8 count bodybuilder though!
  • nettam3re3
    Options
    That is awesome! A whole 8k! You'll be race ready in no time :) I'm averaging about 6 but I'm still working to incorporate C25K into it. It's getting easier as I drop weight - down 40 lbs since mid Feb. I start at the local Crossfit on Monday to help build up strength for the obstacles :) Congrats to good progress for us both!
  • silverarcheress
    Options
    Your progression is brilliant :smile: You'll definitely be fighting fit by October if you continue at that rate! 40lb dropped is incredible! I bow down to you. I started Mid Feb 2014 and have lost around 60lb. In that time I've gone from a 15min mile to a 10 min mile which just shows what a difference the weight and practice makes! Let me know how Crossfit goes. That always looks scary and fun! I'm going to Metafit which is HIIT training but should help with my core and upper body strength.

Cheers to us!
  • silverarcheress
    Options
    How is your challenge going? My race is this weekend! I'm really excited. I'm already considering what to sign up to next :smile: I still haven't mastered burpees but we don't have to do penalties so that doesn't worry me. I'm going to go on a run around the local obstacle course later this eve and see how I do on each of the elements....if my dog doesn't try and trip me up!
  • nettam3re3
    Options
    Good luck in your last few days of prep! You got this :) Let me know how scouting out the obstacle course goes. Is it the same one you'll do this weekend? I'm doing well with my prep. Stronger every day!
  • tiarajj08
    tiarajj08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That's so weird!! I started 270 in April & in June I'm now 244!!! That's awesome. I signed up for a 3k/5k run for the end of the month to keep me motivated. You can do this girl!! You came this far!!! I pray you meet your goal and kill that obstacle course!
  • silverarcheress
    Options
    Thank you both :smile: My local obstacle course is a permanent feature in our woods. It's brilliant and has stages for chin ups (which I can't do), tricep dips (which I can't do) and then a balance beam, hurdles, sit ups station, push ups station and a few others. It's so much fun! Good for strengthening up my whole body! The one this weekend is all random inflatables and slides are random bits like that. Shouldn't be too killer on my body this way!

Sounds like it's going really strongly Netta :smiley:

Tiara welcome to the thread! Best of luck on your race at the end of the month, how is your training going?
  • silverarcheress
    Options
    Obstacle course is tomorrow! I'm so excited, I'll try and post a photo when I'm done :smiley:
  • silverarcheress
    Options