anyone else on levothyroxine? finding it harder to shift weight?

Options

Replies

• brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have been for 25 years. If your medication is at the correct dose you should have no trouble losing. I'm currently losing at my MFP projected rate, have 7 pounds to go.
  • hallashleymichelle
    hallashleymichelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It makes it more difficult, but not impossible. You'll just lose weight at a slower rate then others. I've had the same problem.
  • notfbam
    notfbam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    been on it for 20 years- when I finally got serious about this, I lost 30+pounds in the past 5 months because I changed my intake and my output. At the proper dose there should be no difference in your ability to lose weight---we do all lose a little differently but the INTAKE has to be a lot less than the OUTPUT to see those weight loss numbers. Here's to your success!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No, levothyroxine does not make weight loss harder, the opposite. If you are concerned you are severely hypothyroid despite the levothyroxin, then you need to talk to your dr about adjusting your meds. Otherwise, go over your calories and see where you might be underestimating.
  • Jille0
    Jille0 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You may want to get your T3 levels checked. Some of us have a hard time converting T4 to T3. I take Synthroid and Cytomel (along with a lot of other meds for panhypopituitarism). Taking T3 gives me a lot more energy (increase in metabolism). Without it I am bound to bed. If your hormone levels are off, I it does make weight loss incredibly difficult.
  • Lilac11883
    Lilac11883 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently went back to armour thyroid after being on synthetics for 10 years. It has helped me personally to start dropping some weight. I have more energy and feel like I can control cravings better. My Dr is really helpful on finding the right dose and testing T3, T4, TSH, and thyroid antibodies. You might check out Stop the Thryoid Madness group on Facebook too. Lots of great info and support.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It's a very common drug that has been around for a long time. I've been on it for many years and it has not kept me from losing weight.

If you feel like something is still off, you may need to adjust your dosage or consider other endocrine issues. My experience is that generalists are often not a very good resource. Sometimes it is worthwhile to see an endocrinologist

Many people with metabolic diseases find it necessary to eat lower-to-moderate carb diets. That could be something else to consider.