Advice about setting weight loss goal

Options
Hi friends,

I'm in need of advice. At the beginning of my weight loss journey, I told myself that I wanted to lose 15 pounds as my ultimate goal. Now that I'm beginning to lose the weight, I notice that I feel pressured to lose more. Hmmm...pressure doesn't fully capture it...I think I get excited about my weight loss and want to push for more. Especially when I see people who are my height and aiming to lose more weight than I am. This makes me think that I should be pushing for more, even though I know that people carry weight differently so you shouldn't compare.

I guess I want to hear thoughts on how to go about setting a healthy and reasonable goal that works for you. Is it a good idea to play it by ear, setting a tentative weight loss goal and deciding whether to try to lose more once you hit that goal? Or could this possibly damage your weight loss as hard goals tend to be better than tentative ones? I'd love to hear thoughts on this.

Thanks!!!

Ae:smile:

Replies

• ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    my advice. dont! let me tell you though my journey i set sooooooooo many so now i do and tell people just push it tll you hit your best. it what i did and is still doing!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Meet your first goal and look in the mirror. Let your reflection/photos be your deciding factor :)
  • m2purple
    m2purple Posts: 38
    Options
    I found I do better by setting smaller goals and then re-evaluating when I get there. I feel good about accomplishing my mini goals, and I am not discouraged when i don't get to my final goal as quickly. Just my 2 cents!
  • jmcharles52
    jmcharles52 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wait till you reach your goal. Then set a new one if you feel you want to.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have a goal weight I want to reach but if I am going to look sickly then I won't do it. I want to look fit, healthy and strong. Same goes if I get to my goal weight and still look a little chunky I will lose more.
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    For me, I look at the weight range for my height, and within that range what number would I be comfortable with. I'm 5'8, and my range is 120-170lbs, which is a huge range, but I know if I was anywhere under 140lbs i would look rediculous for my body type. Just go with what you feel comfortable with.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    For me, I look at the weight range for my height, and within that range what number would I be comfortable with. I'm 5'8, and my range is 120-170lbs, which is a huge range, but I know if I was anywhere under 140lbs i would look rediculous for my body type. Just go with what you feel comfortable with.

im 5'8 and 134 is looking really good on me im shooting for 125 as my last goal
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I would say stick to your original goal - and when you get there, go to a trainer or doctor and have them measure your body fat percentage. After learning that number, then I would assess where to go after. Perhaps you need to lose more, perhaps you need to just tone up! Whatever you do, don't base your goals on the goals of those around you.

Personally, that sort of thinking would never work for me, hahaha! Most people my height (5'4") would be aiming for much lower numbers than I would be. My goal weight is between 165-175, and that is what some people on here START at! But, I have a lot of muscle so I'm never going to be super skinny.

Just my $.02. =) Good luck!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I played it by ear. First I set a goal to get to a healthy BMI. But after that point, I let my body and how I looked and felt be my guide.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. As you find your balance between eating and excercise, you'll know what to do.

If at any time you feel deprived, tired, moody, depressed, etc. then you know you need to make adjustments.
  • Bourgeoisqueen
    Bourgeoisqueen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You look great pinkmoon!
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    oh thanks queen!