Hey! Anyone else doing strength training? Got any tips?

Options
abennajem
abennajem Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Just starting my strength training. Doing it all from home. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for a newbie?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Follow a program, don't try to make your own up.
    Form is king, don't let your ego sway you. Form over weight.
  • abennajem
    abennajem Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lishie. I've started a program today. There are 1 or 2 exercises that i have trouble doing, like lunges! Can't seem to get the balance right.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    lunges suck lol
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im new here. I am doing strength training on weight machines at my gym. I don't lift more than 30lbs per arm right now, and no more than 80lbs for legs, but im hoping as I gain strength and lose fat I will be able to get stronger and leaner!

I do upper body days, lower body days and midsection/core days. 3-4 days a week and I run 5 days a week.
  • wscottkent
    wscottkent Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Intensity is required for muscles to grow and strengthen. Intensity is also the inverse of duration...so any weight lifting program of necessary intensity can not be of great duration. I'm paraphrasing the great Mike Mentzer there and I recommend his books to anyone interested in weight lifting or strength training. Also remember that in all cases, gains (muscle strength, size, or aerobic conditioning) do not occur during exercise but rather during the rest and recovery from exercise...don't neglect your rest.
  • FPool
    FPool Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Core strength is key. Grab yourself a balance board. Start by simply standing on it. Then try squats, one footed and two footed, add small weights to make it harder. Plank on it, press ups on it lunge on to it, jump on it, hop on it. Pretty much any Pilates type move on it. It's progressive, so funny and VERY good for your core.
    Oh and if you want to make things really hard, try balancing with your eyes closed.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    There are some great resources and info as well as people willing to lend a hand in one of the groups here in case it's any help to you :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/771-women-strength-training
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Hi. Im new here. I am doing strength training on weight machines at my gym. I don't lift more than 30lbs per arm right now, and no more than 80lbs for legs, but im hoping as I gain strength and lose fat I will be able to get stronger and leaner!

I do upper body days, lower body days and midsection/core days. 3-4 days a week and I run 5 days a week.

You will benefit better from free weights over the machines.
    What you lift on a machine will not translate over to real life.
    You will not be able to lift the same amount of weight.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I am moving from machines to free weights. The power cage scares me a bit but I'm happily lifting away when there is nobody else in the gym. Time to grow some balls and lift every time I'm in there!
  • MrKbailey
    MrKbailey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use calisthenics and dumbells for strength training at home, along with running this keeps me fit :)
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options

You will benefit better from free weights over the machines.
    What you lift on a machine will not translate over to real life.
    You will not be able to lift the same amount of weight.

I figured that since I haven't been working out for more than 3 weeks, ANY exercise is probably good as long as I'm going to do it / stay committed. I don't think I'll switch to free weights if I'm unsure it's an exercise I'll commit to at this point in my journey. Right now, I have been working out 5-6 days a week for 3 weeks and that's like a record for me!

Maybe once I start losing some weight and get this calorie counting thing down (only been doing it a week) I'll venture out to free weights & other strength training programs :)