Sugar addict in need of help!

Options
Hi! I'm Megan, 22 years old, 5'6". For the past five years I have been trying to lose weight and I am struggling a lot. Five years ago I was 140 pounds and my goal was 125lbs, I'm 160 now, as you can tell it did not work. I've been active, not as much as I should be, I would exercise five days in one week and the next week I will only exercise one or two days so I'm not consistent. My biggest issue is food! I am addicted to sugar, I want it all the time, I've tried not having dessert but I'll go two days without eating it and then just stuff my face the third day, if I have one bite of sugar I need more. I love the way I feel the days I don't eat sugar, I can tell a difference but its just too hard to stay away, sugar is everywhere I go. Any thoughts on what has helped anyone else who has suffered from sugar addiction, or just any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated! I have done a lot of research on sugar addiction, I know how bad it is for me and I've seen diets but I think it would be best for me to get some insight from you all! Thank you!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Actually, sugar isn't everywhere. Or it doesn't have to be. I don't buy very many things that contain a lot of sugar because I don't want to be tempted by having it in the house. I portion out my treats in snack baggies or buy single serve containers of things that are hard for me to portion control. I walk out of the faculty lounge at school if there is a box of donuts on the table. That said, at some point you have to decide what you want more: 10 seconds of mouth feel of sugar and then it's gone or a lifetime of being at your goal weight. Mostly, I am very dedicated to not going over my calories and that pretty much keeps my sugar consumption to a minimum.
  • stay_rad_xx
    stay_rad_xx Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I can completely relate to your situation! I used to be a sugar addict too. The most important rule, however, is not to be militant about it. Don't stop sugar completely. I will allow myself cheat days once a month and it really helps. And don't count the natural sugars like the ones found in fruits. Added sugar is what you have to look out for. Fruit is an amazing alternative for when you have a craving, because of its sweetness. Flaxseed is also a good food to eat that cuts cravings. But remember that it takes time to stop eating sugar. Even if a cheat day turns into a cheat weekend, 28/31 days were clean. Good luck!! :)
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    greekyogurtandpuppies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Cut all the added sugar out for two weeks and I bet your cravings will be reduced significantly. Good luck on your weight loss!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Check out the LCD group on mfp! People over there breaking their sugar addiction! Good luck!