Breast feeding

Options
anyone know how to adjust myfitnesspal to accommodate breast feeding while losing weight without affecting milk supply?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    there's a breast feeding food item with -300 calories or similar (negative, so increases your food intake).

No idea if that achieves your aim though :-)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sudhamd79 wrote: »
    anyone know how to adjust myfitnesspal to accommodate breast feeding while losing weight without affecting milk supply?

One way is to add 300-500 calories, assumign you are exclusively breastfeeding on demand. Around 300 for a young baby, increasing gradually as baby gets older, assuming you still are nursing on demand.
    What I would consider simpler and have done myself with 3 kids, would be to eat at maintenance, as you would pre-baby to maintain weight, not taking into account breastfeeding at all, but also not tryint to create a greater deficit either. Breastfeeding will then create the 300-500 deficit, so you will lose.
    With either method, experiment for a few weeks, and if you are losing too fast or not losing, adjust calories accordingly.
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Same as above - I set MFP to maintenance and just let breastfeeding take the deficient during that time as I wanted to make sure I was eating enough not to impact supply. I managed to lose around 35 lbs doing it this way and had no issues with supply (ebf) however once I moved onto combi-feeding and introduced bottles I put MFP back to a 1 lb a week loss......however I'll be honest and say I rarely used MFP during that time!!

Good luck and just remember not to put too much pressure on yourself. Those little ones don't stay little for long so my advice would be to take 6 months and just enjoy him / her while trying to naturally watch what to each and limit the naughty days. Vx
  • sudhamd79
    sudhamd79 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank u everyone! Great advise!!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I actually log breastfeeding as a cardio exercise (it's there) it gives me an extra 464 calories, this has worked well for me