Exercise and Nutrition Plan Critiques/Suggestions Welcome!

Options
rdraper2015
rdraper2015 Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys,

I am not necessarily new to MFP, but I am new to the discussion aspect of it! At any rate, to be honest, I am one of the obsessive types when it comes to weight loss. I started my journey April 24, 2015 at 279lbs. When I weighed in May 30, 2015, I discovered that I was 250, nearly 30lbs lost in one month. Of course I am not silly enough to expect this kind of drop to continue. Yet, I have some natural curiosities:

-My current fat loss plan is primarily cardio, 6 days per week, fasted cardio for 30min in the morning on the treadmill. Then, I am going to the gym in the evenings to use the bike (15mins HIIT) and elliptical (30 mins HIIT). With all of this, I still intend to attend my RPM group exercise class 2 times per week. I am wondering about suggestions from everyone, I am concerned about this being a bit excessive. After all, I don't want to run the risk of over-training.
-My TDEE is 1837 calories, set to sedentary, BMR is 1530 calories. The calories I decided on for intake were 1,400 per day. Although, I have an EXTREMELY tough time just making it to 1,000, which I know is really unhealthy in the long run. As well, I've decided to go the Ketogenic route and have set my macros as follows: 45-50g of carbs per day (15%), 140g of protein (40%), 70g (45%) of fat. Any suggestions, particularly regarding meeting your caloric requirements on a low-carb diet? I find myself even cutting out many fruits and other healthy options because they happen to be carb-loaded. So, because I use portion control and my nutrition plan consists mainly of whole eggs, turkey bacon, salads, chicken breast and veggies, I find that even after eating a full day of meals, I end up with about 800-900 calories consumed. Low carb advocates, how did you find the balance of staying within your macros and actually meeting your caloric requirement?
-I love strength training but, I decided that I was uncomfortable with my weight/the scale staying the same or increasing at my current weight, even if I am building muscle, because I am obese and really want much of the weight to come off before I begin incorporating it into my exercise regimen. With that said, what would you all say is a "good weight" for me to start doing so?

Some info about myself:
Starting Weight: 279lbs
Current Weight: 254lbs (+4lbs from menstrual cycle water weight :neutral: )
Goal Weight: 140lbs
Height: 5'6

My apologies for being so long-winded. These have been really pressing concerns of mine and I would love guidance!

Replies

• greekyogurtandpuppies
    greekyogurtandpuppies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The amount of exercise you're doing is fine as long as you're eating and resting enough and not in pain. I'm not sure about your pain and rest but I'm concerned you're not eating enough unless you're underestimating your calories. Are you weighing your food? If you are, add more foods like avocado, nut and nut butters, potatoes, and full fat dairy products to reach your calorie needs. If you keep up the low calorie intake with the exercise you will probably burn out very quickly.

Good luck with your weight loss and feel free to add me if you need support!
  • rdraper2015
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the reply! Yes, I do weigh my foods with a food scale and liquids (although I drink mostly water) with measuring spoons and the like. I definitely agree with your comment about burn out. I've been feeling down and somewhat crappy and am certain that it's due to my low calories. Lately, I've been adding full fat Caesar dressings to my salad, in my protein shakes I add plain Greek Yogurt, almond butter, and almond milk just to make them more caloric. Thanks a lot!
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    greekyogurtandpuppies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the reply! Yes, I do weigh my foods with a food scale and liquids (although I drink mostly water) with measuring spoons and the like. I definitely agree with your comment about burn out. I've been feeling down and somewhat crappy and am certain that it's due to my low calories. Lately, I've been adding full fat Caesar dressings to my salad, in my protein shakes I add plain Greek Yogurt, almond butter, and almond milk just to make them more caloric. Thanks a lot!

I'm happy I could help and I'm glad you're upping your calories!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I agree w/greekyogurtandpuppies; you need to increase your calories. One question I have are you doing any weight lifting? If not you should, building muscle will help w/your metabolism and increase your bone and muscle mass.
  • rdraper2015
    Options
    I started off doing strength training very sporadically. However, I stopped because I wanted to focus on getting under 200lbs first. I know that strength training is excellent; I enjoy it. However, I've learned that it may cause the scale to stall at a certain number or sometimes people tend to gain a few pounds because muscle weighs more than fat. I feel more comfortable with this happening at, say, 190lbs versus 254.
  • mryjane778
    mryjane778 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started off doing strength training very sporadically. However, I stopped because I wanted to focus on getting under 200lbs first. I know that strength training is excellent; I enjoy it. However, I've learned that it may cause the scale to stall at a certain number or sometimes people tend to gain a few pounds because muscle weighs more than fat. I feel more comfortable with this happening at, say, 190lbs versus 254.

No. Muscle is more dense (takes up less room), but a pound is a pound is a pound. You're a woman eating at a deficit. The best you can hope for is keeping some of your precious muscle. Weightlifting may cause some water retention after a really hard workout, but it's not real weight. I suggest incorporating some weight training a few times a week asap.