How to eat healthy on a budget... HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A single whole chicken can make several meals including a roast, a crock pot, and a soup.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,010 Member
    Options
    I have a big garden these days, but when I was limited to a balcony, I grew herbs in containers. When I buy bunches of herbs, they tend to go bad before I can use them all.

Frozen strawberries aren't as good as fresh, but they are fine for smoothies and you don't have to worry about waste.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    btw by meal prepping ( because that is what you start doing when you cook in batches) you learn a lot too and get some good habits.

I still cook all my beans, rice in batches and freeze the portions. There is no fruit going to waste here. I freeze what is too much or get to ripe. I make jam out of them or smoothies or (like with apples) apple-pie smudge for over yogurt etc etc
    The rice i make different dishes with. Beans for in dishes and wraps. And yes i freeze tortillas too. And bread. Cheese and milk Only milk i dont use to drink like that anymore but for cooking and in smoothies
    There is so much you can freeze and saves you money that way.

I still like buying frozen Talapia instead of fresh lol. And when i buy fresh salmon now, i buy a big hunk for sale and cut it up and freeze.
    So even do it was a long time ago for me that i lived on a tight budget, i learned some good habits that saves me money and time.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Oh another thing when you have a garden/patio/balcony or any room...grow food yourself too. Herbs can grow in pots in your kitchen too.

I had a lot of herb/spices in the house...and i started a garden..first everything in pots. Radishes pack of seeds in that time only 76 cents or so...had bunches of them.
    Strawberry plants doing very well and tomatoes
    Green beans are so good and you get to much of them very quickly... i sold them to the neighbors per pound lol or swapped them for jam or potatoes.

There is a lot you can do with a little bit of space and every veggie and fruit grows inside too in pots :) Some take time, others ( like spinach) only 45 days!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Eat what you always do, only less, in a deficit.
  • threehoursfromsundown
    Options
    msty112 wrote: »
    Also on a tight budget here. I shop at Aldi and feed a family of 3 for average of $80 a week. I agree with a lot of the above. Rice, beans, pasta, frozen vegetables, eggs, plain rolled oats, potatoes, bananas, apples. Chicken thighs are a inexpensive protein, just remove the skin and trim the fat. I buy a big carton of plain yogurt and flavor it with thawed berries. It's very doable to eat healthy on a budget.

Aldi is great. I didn't realise it was around in the US.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Family of 5 here on a grocery budget of $90 a week. I third Aldi if you have one around you-that store is seriously awesome :) Also look into bread outlets, dollar stores that carry food (I can get frozen fruit and veggies at my local Dollar Tree, along with tea, spices etc etc). Also Upick farms are great (flash freeze things like blueberries and strawberries), along with hobby gardeners who sell at stands in front of their houses etc.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Aldi is great....i bought brown rice, dried beans, whole chickens, tougher cuts of meat for the crock pot, frozen veggies, oatmeal, potatoes...there are a lot of good suggestions above me. I'm not quite as hard-up as i once was, but i also made everything from scratch, including bread, taco seasoning, muffins and pancakes, spaghetti sauce, croutons from the leftover bread.

I did splurge on olive oil because it was worth it to add some healthy fat.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    jlehorton wrote: »
    I'm new to calorie counting... It's been 6 days & boy has logging my foods been an eye opener... So what's a woman to do when she needs to loose 100 pounds but is on a fixed budget? I am a mom of 2 (we are a family of 4) on a budget of 60 a week...

How do I eat healthy with such little funds?

Help & ideas greatly appreciated.

I eat lots of beans. Dried beans. Healthy? Arguable but I'd say yeah ... plus a dollar buys about 10 meals worth.

• happygolucky721
    happygolucky721 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I follow all of these. Meat, fish, produce.. only buy whats on sale. I go to 2-3 grocery stores and buy only the sale stuff.

Have a list of staples that you stock up on anytime they are on sale (oatmeal, lentils, rice, evoo). And learn over time what the lowest sale price of those times are..

Also, are you eating out? I spend a lot at the grocery store but i hardly ever eat out, i bring with me all my meals and snacks which is MUCH cheaper and healthier
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    The closer it is to scratch, the less it will cost you to prepare per serving. Even things like taco seasoning or soups. The initial up front cost to get all the ingredients the first time around will be higher, so you need to plan carefully. But, once you've paid that initial cost, you'll get multiple meals out of the ingredients instead of just one, and it will end up costing you half or less in the long run.

It's a hard state of mind to get used to, but try to build up a supply of staples so that when you cook you're "shopping" from your kitchen, not the store. Plan your meals around what's already in the house and what's on sale, don't shop to a meal plan. If this week it's pork on sale, plan on only having pork or whatever meat is already in the freezer. Buy a little more than you need, so you have some for next week when chicken is on sale. Slowly, over time, you can begin to build up a base set of ingredients to cook with, shopping only to replace them when they're on sale, and the combinations are endless.

I want a like button!
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A single whole chicken can make several meals including a roast, a crock pot, and a soup.

Yes, I always throw the carcass into a pot with water and scraps of veggies (peels, ends of onions, celery etc.) to make the broth, strain the broth and toss the bones/scraps. You can use the broth right away for a soup or freeze it in 1-cup sizes or another convenient size to use in recipes.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    A friend sold me a pressure cooker cheap when he was moving. I use it to cook dried beans fast. I also use it to make mashed potatoes in about 10 - 15 minutes. It is super useful for cooking dried garbanzo beans, those always seem to take forever the "regular" way.

I make brown rice, various beans, I love potatoes and stock up on carrots, celery, potatoes and onions as they can be used in many things. Canned tomato products when on sale I stock up on too, used in many sauces.

Soups, split pea (with carrot/potato and a little ham or no ham), lentil soup (many variations, I like a little tomato and onion in it at minimum), hamburger vegetable soup is cheap and makes a pound of hamburger go several meals. Brown the hamburger, put hamburger, onions, corn, carrots, celery, potato and whatever other veggies you like (sometimes I put hominy, a bit of left over rice, spinach (a pack of frozen spinach) or other veggies in. I usually use broth and water (50/50) and toss in a can of tomato sauce or paste. This never tastes the same twice but is always good. Add spices and salt/pepper to your taste. I don't use much if any salt, but most people like some, rosemary, basil, a bay leaf, oregano - whatever herbs you like and again, I change all the time. Google a recipe for ideas / amounts. I cook "by feel" especially with soups.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    Trader Joe's is surprising affordable for some of the "specialty" items. Also, Aldi is your best friend for staples, dairy, frozen fruits/veggies/meats, etc.

We also like to plan our recipes for the week. We frequently use recipes from Skinnytaste, we plan to use recipes where we can share ingredients and minimize waste (i.e. two recipes that use chicken broth which I get at Aldi for a GREAT price, and I don't waste half the container.

Also, I have found that a lot of Asian or Mexican dishes are very cheap to make once you get the sauces/spices. It can be expensive the first time you make something, but then you have enough to make it many more times (just add meat, veggies, rice). Cheap sauces like sriracha give a lot of flavor for super cheap!

I have been on a tight budget many years. Trader Joe's is a good place for dried fruit/nuts. I can go cheap and buy the sunflower seeds, raisins, banana chips, etc. They are also good for non-dairy milks (if that is something you need), peanut butter and some other things.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    rbiss wrote: »
    I would buy rice, beans, and frozen veggies in bulk for main meals.

Are you able to grow any food? That really offsets the budget. When I lived in an apartment, I grew tomatoes and peppers in pots because I eat them the most but you can grow just about anything in a pot.

Those. Plus eggs and potatoes. Not sure where you live but definitely shop the circulars (if you don't get them mailed to you, you can try online or spring for a Sunday newspaper). We have a grocery store that is not as near to us as the others and caters to the local Mexican and Mexican-American population, and the deals on produce, meat, and dry rice and beans are INSANE. Can't get a tub of greek yogurt if you beg, so we didn't think of it for a long time, but now we go there first and then just fill out the rest at the regular store. I'm talking deals like three pounds of dry beans for a dollar, ten pounds of chicken leg quarters for 4.70, ten cucumbers for a dollar, five avocados for a dollar, ten pounds of potatoes for 88 cents, and a 72-count pack of tortillas for two dollars. (This is Food City, for anyone who lives in the Phoenix area, and just random examples I pulled from this week's circular).

So there could be something like that in your area, or an Asian market, an Aldi, WinCo, or a Grocery Outlet. Start looking around and be willing to go more than one place to shop. It's a pain, but it could really make your budget stretch.

If you are in Phoenix or in Tucson check this out.
    http://www.borderlandfoodbank.org/POWWOW.html I love that it saves food from landfill and nourishes people. I go, share with neighbors and take some to work.
  • aztec707
    aztec707 Posts: 21 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Ground beef, frozen fish (easy to fry), roasts.

Potatoes are definitely more filling than rice or bread.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    aztec707 wrote: »
    It may not be popular - but CUT out the veggies/greens. They have low nutrients per cost. I'm the King of low budget... #1 Costco or warehouse club is ur best friend; buy in bulk. #2 Stick to milk, eggs, bread & potatoes (the basics) - they're all rich foods at low cost.

This might be the most ignorant thing I've heard.

Go FF. Agreed. This is absurd.