shin splints

Options
MyReinvention55
MyReinvention55 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I get shin splints everytime I run. I'm trying to work on my sprinting. Maybe I'm not stretching enough?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If you're getting shin splints, the best and only thing you can do is rest them.

I had them for about 3-4 months and I was continually running on them, which inevitably made them worse and prolonged the recovery time.

Definitely follow the PRICE procedure. Protect. Rest. Ice. Compress and Elevation (might not be necessary).

It is also definitely worth analysing your feet landing while running, i.e. are you landing on the balls of your foot, or on the heels?

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You probably have a weird gait. The only thing to get rid of them is rest like isaack said. If you are not already a runner, I would advise against sprinting as you are more likely to injure yourself. Build a solid foundation, and then work on speed.
  • WildHeart25
    WildHeart25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have terrible shin splints when I run too

1. Do NOT run when you have shin splints, you will absolutely make it worse

2. There are great strengthening exercises you can look up to help strengthen certain muscles in your lower legs that will absolutely prevent shin splints when you run

3. Make sure you have great proper running shoes according to your gait and foot strike

4. Ice your shins after runs

Suffered for a long time, thought I would never be able to run, but I did my homework and it's no longer a problem! Good luck to you!
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had similar pains, read and read and read on this topic, and my personal conclusion was that I was NOT actually suffering from shin splints. I think only a fraction of shin pain is actually 'shin splints'. I play 2-4 games of indoor soccer every week on *kitten* surfaces with outdoor cleats. I was worried that I'd have to sit out like many people say for 3-4 months. What has finally worked for me has simply been stretching them ALL the time and when it's bad ice and elevate. However, if I stay serious about my stretching I almost never need the latter. Note I didn't take a single week off when going from thinking I was crippled to no problem at all, just by stretching.

===YMMV===

Point is, check out some videos on shin stretches. Do them. Ice and elevate (as in sleep with them elevated overnight, hard for me to do but worth it).

Past WildHeart's 3rd point is one I believe in absolutely. Do not skimp on proper shoes!

Last thing, and I say this with all the love in the world (been there bro), if you've got 80lbs you're looking to lose DON'T RUN. That's a lot of extra weight on joints, tendons, muscles, bones. Think about (or try) picking up something even 50lbs and run for 20 yards and you get a good idea of just how much extra strain that's putting on everything. Plus, running is actually a bad way to lose weight. Walking just fast enough to get into your target heart range is ideal for fat loss and will be way easier on your body. Then once you've lost a good deal of the weight running will come much easier and actually be enjoyable!

My $0.04

• ImmortalFire
    ImmortalFire Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hiya,
    I agree with everyone else, rest and ice is probably the best thing to. I used to run track at highschool, and shin splints are the worst when you're 800m into a 1500m run and especially common when sprinting 100m

I do agree with elothen, in terms of running technique, it would be more beneficial to add running to your program once you've come closer to your goal weight (and I too mean that in the nicest way possible). Looking after your joints is important and can lead to issues like arthiritus which is hell to live through (my mom has it pretty bad).

In terms of sprinting though, I would agree with ribbs, to work on stamina, and endurance first before going into sprints - your heart goes into a lot of pressure with sprints which is great to really improve your heart health but not all that great if your technique is off or if your muscles haven't gotten into the motion of long distance

Hope I've helped :)
  • MyReinvention55
    MyReinvention55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm not sure if my shoes are for my gait (I'll have to look up what that means) but they are running shoes. I am trying to lose weight but the sprinting is for a physical abilities test for a job. I have to run it in 47 seconds. I got 49. So I need to be able to sprint for longer. I stop running when my shin splints hurt. Today has been day 3 of waiting and I believe tomorrow will be ok to run. I normally just jog but on a tennis court so I think I will try grass. Softer should help I think.
  • MOMOEATER
    MOMOEATER Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You might want to google, how to lace up running shoes to avoid shin splints... it might help.