My old habits

Options
2»

Replies

• astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    <
    long long ago used to go to the Rally's drive thru and get a giant cheese burger, curly fries, and a strawberry milk shake.

and that's just one example...

I don't even go through drive thus anymore...gave them up years ago...makes it too easy to get fat
  • ales1979
    ales1979 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Yep! A lot of my old habits have gone out of the window! I too was eating enormous amounts of fast food (I live in street where everything I could want - fish&chips, pizza, indian food, chinese food) is within 5 doors of my street door! One of my favouties was a half pound burger with cheese, topped with donner kebab meat and all the sauces, with a large side of fries and a 2 litre bottle of full sugar pepsi!! Or I'd get a large box of a mixture of donner meat, pakoras, tandoori chicken, chips/ fries, chicken wings and all the sauces, which was served in a 14'' pizza box and I'd eat from it for about 2 or 3 days (obviously I would put the leftovers in the fridge between 'pickings') I would eat whole multipacks of chocolate bars in one day, or perhaps they'd last two at the most!!!Admittedly I was quite poorly over the winter, but I wonder how much I could have avoided feeling so ghastly, if I had been eating better!!

My BF came to visit me about 3 weeks ago, he was very late getting here and I'd already had my dinner!! He got himself a chinese take-away, I was able to have one piece of pepper squid, and leave it at that!

I've made large changes to my eating habits everyday, can't even rememebr when I last had a takeaway, and am trying to eat as cleanly and as 'paleo' as possible! The clean and paleo is still a very new thing to me, so I've had some blips over the last few days, just purposefully trying out what foods suit me and what don't anymore! however, now I know that grains and dairy definitely don't!

I woudl never have found this out if it wasn't for the wealth of information and fantastic friends who are ALWAYS there to support me (which I think is whats made this so amazing!) on MFP. Usually by now I would be getting bored of the change and looking for the next 'big thing' to sink my teeth into, but not this time!!

I really love it here and I know its going to be for life this time, not just some faddy quick fix that I get bored of quickly, then end up being even heavier/ more unhealthy than I was to start with!!

xx
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. When I see someone eating donuts or cake or something, I almost feel sorry for them. But then I remember, I used to eat that stuff too! I certainly would never tell someone what they should be eating, or how many calories are in their food. I might still indulge in something like that every once in a while, but it's not something I would eat every day.

Happy to be here, losing weight the healthy way!
  • Mojave69
    Mojave69 Posts: 40
    Options
    In my 41 years I've never knew the calorie content of any food or drink! MFP has definitely opened my eyes to what goes into my mouth these last few months! I always wondered how gained weight and kept it on even though I've always been a regular gym goer and always played football (soccer) & squash... NOW I KNOW!! One of these days I'll get around to entering a diary of what I used to eat during a regular day before MFP! I bet I'd be utterly mortified!. For instance, I've never been a 'salad dodger'.... but little did I know how many grams of fat & calories were in the old Caesar & Ranch dressings I used to drown the lettuce in!!!

Thanks for opening my eyes MFP! Reading these fantastic Success Stories are absolutely one of my favourite things on these quiet night shifts now.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP religiously for 10 days! I know it's not very long but my husband made a comment to me today and it really made me think.... I was telling him how I have had 800 calories today and MFP is telling me that I still need to eat over 1000 (it's after 5pm already) according to MFP. He said something along the lines of since I started tracking my calories I am aware of what I eat and am eating a lot less than I use to. There were times that I would eat 3000 - 4000 calories and not even realize it!

I agree. Keeping track of my food for the day helps me keep myself in reality and know what I can and can't eat. Now I cringe when I add something to my food diary that is 300/400 calories in just one serving.
  • JeanHaynes
    JeanHaynes Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Practically every meal I ate before starting this lifestyle change was fast food. I never considered calories. I would have a 400-500 calorie breakfast sandwich from Panera w/ a 600 calorie coffee drink, then grab Wendys for lunch w/ a frappucino, and lastly a double quarter pounder from McDonalds for dinner w/ a coke. I never drank water. I would easily drink a 2 liter of Mountain Dew in a day. I was so unhealthy it was absolutely ridiculous. I never worked out.

Now, I make healthy choices on my meals out. I cook so much more at home. I am always conscience of my calorie intake and I drink my water. I never drink regular sodas, rarely diet sodas, and when I get Starbucks I choose non-fat or low-fat options w/ sugar free flavors. I work out and I am a happier person.

I think back to how I ate before and it disgusts me. This is definitely a lifestyle change that I plan to keep forever! :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you have all posted. I too cringe when I have to add something over 300 calories to my food diary. But at least now I know I can work out and burn off some of those calories where as before I wouldn't have cared.

I loved on Biggest Loser last night when one of the "home" contestants said, "i promise you can do it, anyone can!" and she was so right. It didn't take very long to see the old habits go and the news one's stick. Now that I've stuck with it for a couple months, I realize how easy it really is!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!