Running buddies

Options
DaenerysCarbaryen
DaenerysCarbaryen Posts: 9 Member
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
I don't like running, but if I can suffer alongside some friends or at least have people holding me accountable that would make it slightly better. Also if you have any tips or wisdom I would love to hear it.

Replies

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Question -. If u don't like running, why do it? Do u have a specific challenge / goal?
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I hated running too but I've not missed a run for more than a year except injury/physically unable to.

It was actually due to convenience (and laziness) that led me to go running to lose weight and get fit. Its easy to get into (just walk out with your iPod/iPhone and start running), you don't need to 'drive' to a gym - too many steps (lol). The secret for me was just to find a way to get over that hardest hump - getting up from bed, dragging yourself up. Once you get OUT you're already out, you're already 'committed' to it, so you will do it. I also run in the early mornings because I can get it out of the way and feel like I can enjoy the rest of the day "free" without dragging myself out after a day's work to work my bum off only to rinse and repeat. Exercising in the morning leaves you brighter, more energetic and just sets you up for the day, like breakfast does.

So I try to make it easy for myself to automate this. I sleep at a certain time during weekdays when my running is due so I can wake up early, I keep my running clothes folded on the dresser so I can jump out, throw on the running gear and head out.

Some tips is to treat it as an automated thing - willpower is like a muscle. Like the first time you smoke, or the first time you drink, you have to do it a bit more than once to sort of get 'hooked' onto it, then it becomes muscle memory and psychological.

Try to focus on doing running as a 'tick off a box' and the feel good feeling of the endorphins you get after running and the fact you have accomplished a run. Whenever you feel 'lazy' just don't think it, don't overanalyse how you feel. Just blank out.

And allow yourself a buffer because you WILL find excuses to skip an exercise day due to whatever reason (i.e. 'its too cold, its too hot, i've got a headache, etc). Give yourself a flexi-day during your exercise routine where you can forego a workout and replace it with another day in the SAME WEEK.

I allow myself a one day buffer by exercising 4 days a week. I've not replaced a day for more than 6 months now because its become fairly easy for me to keep to a routine and I've developed an impulse to run every morning else I get jittery or anxious, like my day hasn't been complete.

Keep it slow, but most important in this is to be consistent. Even if you are getting out there and NOT running but walking, skipping, walking out of the door two steps in exercise gear and going back to bed, etc , the most important part is actually getting into the motions of waking up, dressing in your gear and heading out to build that habit.
  • DaenerysCarbaryen
    DaenerysCarbaryen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    samthepanda, I run because its free, I don't need to go anywhere, and I want to lose weight/get in better shape.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I sleep in my running clothes so I have no excuse not to get my tail moving. Marathons don't run themselves!
  • xJennyfromtheBlockx
    xJennyfromtheBlockx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    T25 is an addicting program as any Shaun T workouts are. Im here to support you all. Doing t25 for 2nd round with dramatic results