I've developed an unhealthy mindset while dieting?

Options
So I've been calorie counting for almost a year now, and as I've gotten closer to my goal weight, I've realised that I've developed a really unhealthy mindset towards dieting, calorie counting and eating in general.

I spend a lot of time thinking about food; both about eating in general and about how many calories are in things, how much of it I can eat, whether it'll put me over my calorie limit, etc. While I stay within my limits most of the time, I still eat a lot even when I'm not hungry...boredom eating and binge eating are habits I've never been able to lose. Even if I don't go over my limit, I feel super guilty eating things I know aren't the best nutrition-wise, to the point where I spend hours thinking about it and trying to compensate through extra exercise, etc.

I'm not sure what to do to fix this, since this definitely can't be good for me psychologically, and I feel like I might end up breaking and ruining all the hard work I've done for the past year. Can anyone help? I'd be really grateful.

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    This is when counseling and/or finding a support group can be helpful. MFP can provide you with information on what you physically need to do to lose, and to a point, the forums can help with support. However, a licensed councilor may be able to help you get down to the root of your overeating and help you deal with your obsessive tracking. If you feel that this isn't good for you psychologically, it probably isn't.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'd talk to a professional about this.

eta: apparently I can't spell today...
  • inkstained97
    inkstained97 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your quick replies! I do feel like talking to a professional might be a good idea... however, it'll be hard for me to do so considering I'm still a high school student. I might try the school counsellor but I'm not sure how much help that would be.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    That way of thinking isn't uncommon in the beginning of counting, because there's a learning curve, but after a year, I think you're right to question its value in serving your overall health.

Member Sidesteel recently did a post with some guidelines for eating without counting, I wonder if that would help:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10180601/non-tracking-methods-and-behaviors-that-may-help-while-tracking/p1
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    That way of thinking isn't uncommon in the beginning of counting, because there's a learning curve

I agree. There's a lot of novelty value to trying new systems. Once they become routine, they become boring and don't take up much mental time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a diet break?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your quick replies! I do feel like talking to a professional might be a good idea... however, it'll be hard for me to do so considering I'm still a high school student. I might try the school counsellor but I'm not sure how much help that would be.

How many more years of high school?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I would see the school counselor. There might be a program for teens already about this issue. You never know.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Can you speak with your parents at all? What about your physician?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing after about a year. I just couldn't do it any more. I ended up gaining 1/2 of the weight that I had lost back.

I have started over now but found out quickly that calorie counting wasn't healthy for me. I am working my way toward trying the portion/estimating method. I still weigh calorie dense things such as peanut butter. I also still figure the calories in recipes that I fix.

You would think that after a year of weighing and logging that there wouldn't be a problem but it did.

I too recommend reading the link that Tomatoey posted for you.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

The high school I teach at has counselors available during the school day to assist students with rough patches they might encounter. They also can refer a student to a community-counseling service. Talk to your guidance counselor or crisis counselor at school and see what suggestions you can get. Be strong

• Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There is an eating disorder (though I don't believe it has yet been recognized in the DSM-V) called Orthorexia Nervosa, which is basically an unhealthy obsession with healthy eating, or "perfect" eating. Is there anyone you can talk to you can trust who can give you some help? Trust me, I have a background with eating disorders. Don't wait until you're older.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    So I've been calorie counting for almost a year now, and as I've gotten closer to my goal weight, I've realised that I've developed a really unhealthy mindset towards dieting, calorie counting and eating in general.

I spend a lot of time thinking about food; both about eating in general and about how many calories are in things, how much of it I can eat, whether it'll put me over my calorie limit, etc. While I stay within my limits most of the time, I still eat a lot even when I'm not hungry...boredom eating and binge eating are habits I've never been able to lose. Even if I don't go over my limit, I feel super guilty eating things I know aren't the best nutrition-wise, to the point where I spend hours thinking about it and trying to compensate through extra exercise, etc.

I'm not sure what to do to fix this, since this definitely can't be good for me psychologically, and I feel like I might end up breaking and ruining all the hard work I've done for the past year. Can anyone help? I'd be really grateful.

Try yoga?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating

...To find out more about how yoga might have helped the women make peace with food, themselves, and their bodies, I talked to Maggie Juliano, director of Sprout Yoga (link is external), a non-profit organization that provides yoga to people with disordered eating.

According to Juliano, yoga gives people the skills to stay with what they are feeling, rather than turning to food to escape. People who are obese or suffering from eating disorders have a tendency to dissociate from their bodies -- to choose not to feel what they are feeling when they are angry, anxious, or sad. Often, they turn to food to numb themselves. "There's this sense that I have to feel better right now, " Juliano says. "There is a complete intolerance of what is happening right now." This need to escape unpleasant feelings triggers a binge.

When you eat to escape what you are feeling, you lose touch with the experience of eating, as well. This is one reason binges can spiral out of control. "You have no understanding that you are full, way past full, into uncomfortable, because you're so out of it," Juliano explains. "You have no connection to what you're eating. You're eating a pint of ice cream and can't even taste it. Or you go to make yourself some toast and before you know it, half the loaf is gone."

Mindful yoga directly challenges the habit of dissociating from your body and your present-moment experience. "The whole point of yoga is to stay connected to your body. You learn it through practice, through breathing, and through breathing through the sensations."
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

As a Mom of a teenager, I do commend you for getting closer to your goal weight. I think the main thing, if I understand you correctly, is if all your thoughts and your mindset is a normal thing. I personally think it is normal for young girls to be aware of their eating habits, but when it becomes all about the numbers, the thoughts can generate a life of their own, and that is alot of stress I would imagine. Take a vacation from the numbers, the tracking, and see how you feel. You will be surprised at how strong you feel when you get thru the day. Think of your food intake as fuel, and energy. Your self-esteem isn't made up of journals, tracking, and numbers, its made up of how you relate to the world, and the effect you have within it. Enjoy the summer :smiley:
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    There is a group called overeaters anonymous on this site that you could join. It helps people with all kinds of unhealthy eating patterns. Not just for overeaters. You might want to check it out. It's free and very supportive. There are probably actual meetings in your area, which you could find online. Hope this helps.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Talk to a professional

But what you said doesn't sound that bad.

You had a weight issue, food is something you have to have everyday. Of coarse your going to think about it.

Make sure your not going back to the way you were.

For me a bit of hand wringing over food and exercise is a small price to pay to stay on the wagon and not be back here in 3 years trying to lose it all again.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    when it gets to much i take a break for a month of counting

Still eat healthy but don't fuss over numbers to much
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Take a 2 week break
  • Amber012014
    Amber012014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ackowledging your mental focus, and what's going on is a very good thing. Knowing it can help you take a step in the right direction. I do think a counselor is a good idea. There is, in my opinion, often, a reason that people can put on a lot of weight. And I am not one to judge in that area. Food can become a comfort that, while it does comfort, it can also cause further problems. I went through some times where I started to feel somewhat like you did, and I decided to take a break. It was the best thing to do. And if you are going to do that, set a goal, like a few days, or a week, and stick to it. If you need more time, like two weeks, do it. And stop letting yourself get beat up over eating some things you like. If you don't do it constantly, to where what you are eating will pack on weight, you can balance your eating and still enjoy things you like. You are young, and wise to ask for advice. Don't make yourself miserable. Enjoy life :smile: I have found that I am still learning the healthy balance with food. It's still a learning process, sometimes.
  • inkstained97
    inkstained97 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How many more years of high school?

I'm in my last year of high school... I wonder if that might be a contributor to my stress about eating? It's only really become a huge issue in the past month or two (I reduced my calories to 1100, which in hindsight was probably a huge mistake psychologically), and considering what I've read about overeating being a way of trying to cope with emotions, it might also have something to do with all my important exams coming up?
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I went through the same thing after about a year. I just couldn't do it any more. I ended up gaining 1/2 of the weight that I had lost back.

I have started over now but found out quickly that calorie counting wasn't healthy for me. I am working my way toward trying the portion/estimating method. I still weigh calorie dense things such as peanut butter. I also still figure the calories in recipes that I fix.

It's really comforting to know I'm not the only one going through this :/ I don't think I could stop calorie counting though because it's honestly one of the only things which keeps what self control I do have in check, as well as being the only thing I've been able to stick to for such a long period.

I'm going to try and see if I can overcome this on my own first before I see a counsellor I think. I'll definitely try taking a break from counting during a period where I'm less stressed from exams so that I'm less likely to overeat.

Thank you all so much for your help! I really, really appreciate it. :)