Q: how can I stop snacking between meals?

Options
any tips would help. I find myself mindlessly snacking between meals when I'm not even really hungry or wanting a sweet dessert after a perfectly filling dinner. Help!

Replies

• annamontalvo920
    annamontalvo920 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There's really no easy way out of this! You just have to re-program yourself to stop it. I would drink a cup of water every time I felt the urge to eat. I would eat something just because I walked in the kitchen. It wasn't easy at first but after a while you don't even notice it.
  • macksboyer
    macksboyer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Months ago I found a pretty effective way to curb my sweet/chocolate tooth. I buy fat free/sugar free pudding mix...put it in 1% milk...only a bit more pudding that you'd use if you were letting it set up. I really enjoy the taste and texture of the mix before it hardens. It took some time to adjust to the sugar free taste...but it helps me.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, drink a cup of tea or water. Do something you have been putting off.
  • markscho
    markscho Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Set goals...Allow yourself snacks between meals, but factor them into your day's calorie intake. Set a time for the snack and look forward to it as a reward. Then as the poster above says...drink something if you think you feel hungry before snack time. Water is good but sometimes making a cup of tea or a hot drink will take your mind off food.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat them? Strengthen your willpower by using it...

If I have planned meals and meal times I can get through no issue.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Snack if you want. Just eat less at mealtimes.

Whatever fits your daily calorie limit.
  • goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I found that eating more at mealtimes solved the problem. It is just a matter of eating at times of day when you are hungry, not when habit dictates you should have a certain size of meal.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your food for the day and allow a few calories for a sweet dessert even if it is only a couple of squares of chocolate or a fruit yogurt. I usually work in a couple of Oreos a day or some dried fruit, nuts and choc chips!!
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I found eating sugarfree mints/gums a good way to avoid snacking between meals. Also try drinking water whenever you feel like grabbing a snack.
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    From a budgeting perspective I know that it's going to rob me of a proper meal if I snack a lot. If I do need to snack I make it healthy like fruit or veggies to keep me on track. How bad do you want it?
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    all,ways have a healthy snack available.
  • DanielleLawson2
    DanielleLawson2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've learned that eating snacks help. But only healthy snacks. I eat lettuce for my 2 snacks a day, 3 hours after breakfast and lunch - that's only 14 calories a serving. It stabilizes your blood sugar and helps keep your portion sizes small.
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Replace Your Snacks With Heatlhy Snacks And As Long As Your Staying Within Your Macros And Calories.. You'll Be Fine!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    What worked for me is eating bigger, more filling meals less frequently. Not to the point where I am stuffed and can't move, but I'm satisfied and stay satiated until the next meal. There's no need for snacking because I don't get hungry in between meal times.

Not going by the clock also helped me. Once I got familiar with my hunger cues and not eating just because it's breakfast time etc., made things so much easier for me.

However, if you want a sweet dessert save some calories for it after dinner. There's nothing wrong with that. :)

Good luck!
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    For me, it's having a good amount of fat, protein and fiber for each meal. For example, I'll make up a huge salad, put on my dressing (I like balsamic vinaigrette), and then top it with 2 eggs over easy cooked in bacon grease. It's surprisingly filling and probably one my favourite meals to have.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Cchioles wrote: »
    Replace Your Snacks With Heatlhy Snacks And As Long As Your Staying Within Your Macros And Calories.. You'll Be Fine!

yup, this.
    also ask yourself why are you wanting to eat. if it's not hunger, i'll have something to drink or go do something. I think a lot of 'grazing' is due to boredom.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Plan your snacks ahead of time. Mindless eating has to stop if you are going to maintain a weight loss.

If you are sitting in front of the TV .....do something with your hands. Learn to knit, crochet, or cross stich, play solitaire, a simple video game....anything to keep you somewhat occupied. I always have a big glass of ice water available when I watch TV.

I plan an afternoon snack BEFORE I get home from work. If I wait until I get home there are just too many options to "graze" on.

I do have sweet snacks (and desert) from time to time. If I temporarily cut out sugar when I'm "on a diet" how does that teach me to deal with sugar when I am maintaining?
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should go as far away from the kitchen as possible with a glass of water and read, or other hobby until bedtime.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Up your fat and protein intake at meal times. These will keep you fuller longer. One of my favorite meals is a fatty serving of steak, like NY strip. Generally around 240 calories per 4oz serving, and keeps me full until dinner when I have it for lunch, or full throughout the night.

Another trick would be to preportion out sweets/snacks into ziploc bags, so you know what a serving is before you grab it. Write down the nutritional information on it if it will help you visualize how many calories you're eating. A lot of it comes down to trial and error through practicing moderation, and learning to tell yourself "no" and mean it.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have planned snacks for myself between meals, which help keep me from getting hangry. As for boredom/mindless snacking, I swear by sugar free gum.