8 months in, 40 pounds down, GOAL MET!

Options
segacs
segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
edited June 2015 in Success Stories
I started back here at MFP (for the umpteenth time) almost eight months ago. Today, when I stepped on the scale, I saw the initial goal weight I'd set for myself.

In this time, I've lost:
  • 40 pounds
  • 7.6 points on the BMI index
  • 17 percentage points of body fat
  • 4 clothing sizes
  • 7 inches from my waist and 8 from my hips
  • 2 band sizes and a cup size
  • A lifetime of bad habits around stress eating, emotional eating, and food shaming

I've also gained:
  • The knowledge to stay within my calories, pretty much regardless of what life throws at me. CICO works, folks!
  • The strength to eat my favourite foods in moderation -- one square of delicious chocolate at a time
  • A bunch of new exercise habits, including running -- yep, I went from a couch potato to someone who just signed up for my first 5k coming up this fall!
  • A bunch of cute new clothes in smaller sizes
  • Healthy habits for life!

It's just the first time my goal weight has shown up on the scale, so I expect it'll take another couple of weeks of fluctuation before it stays put. Also, this is just the top end of my target 5lb goal range, so I am planning to slowly transition into maintenance. I'm not going anywhere: I plan to keep logging and tracking as I look to find maintenance, and set new fitness and other goals for myself.

For what it's worth, here are some of the things that have worked for me:
  • Using this site! Not just logging and tracking food, but also participating in the communities, forums, groups and adding other like-minded friends for support.
  • Using my geek tendencies to turn weight loss into nothing more than a math problem. By creating spreadsheets and crunching the numbers, I was able to stay on track by gaining a sense of control.
  • Eating all my favourite foods, only in moderation. I had chocolate almost every day while losing weight. I drank craft beer. I ate rich home cooking. I didn't deprive myself of anything I liked. If I wanted it, I worked it into my calories and I simply ate it in smaller portions.
  • Setting realistic goals. 40 pounds over 8 months may not seem very fast to people. It's just over a pound a week, more in the initial weeks, less since then, averaging about 0.75lbs/week in the past couple of months. But it was the right pace for me. Going any faster would have meant depriving myself.
  • Using a food scale at home. Not only did it help me stay accurate with logging food I eat at home, but it also helped me vastly improve my visual estimation skills for when I eat at restaurants or other places.
  • Using the TDEE method. No fiddling with trying to work out how many exercise calories to eat back. I just picked a number that was roughly 20% lower than my observed average TDEE (from my spreadsheet) and stuck to that.
  • Pre-logging my week. On Sundays, I take a few minutes to sit down and pre-log what I expect to eat during the upcoming week. I then use that to make my grocery list. Cuts down on food waste, and makes my life a zillion times easier. Sure, sometimes things change, and I just roll with it. But pre-logging helps me stay on track.
  • Working up to the exercise gradually. I've never been athletic, and I always viewed exercise as a chore. So I didn't put pressure on myself at first to exercise, telling myself that 90% of weight loss is in the kitchen, not the gym. As I started losing the weight and feeling better, I found myself actually *wanting* to move more and be more active, so I added things in.
  • Not sweating the small stuff. Went over 'cause it was a special occasion? Whatever. Saw a gain this week? Fluctuations happen; weight loss isn't linear. I learned to trust the process, and ultimately, it worked.

For the record, my stats are: 5'1", 35 years old, SW 155, GW 115

Here's a sort of before-and-after photo. I say sort of, because the "before" was about six weeks into my weight loss -- I failed to take a proper before photo when I started in October, maybe because I didn't really believe that this time would be the time I'd actually stick with it...? Who knows. Anyway, I never wore the cycling jeans in the photo, because I bought them last fall and by the time the cycling season came around in the spring, they were way too big on me. (Anyone want to buy a pair of cycling jeans, ticket still attached, size 10? PM me.)

apjmi2mnv2xp.jpg

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    FABULOUS!
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! 40 pounds in 8 months is a perfect rate... you were able to lose without screwing with your metabolism! That means better long-term success! *applause*
  • brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well done! Kudos to you! Your hard, methodical work paid off big time. You look wonderful and its obvious that you learned a lot along the way. Stay strong!
  • ded82570
    ded82570 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great and thank you for your advice. I just hit my goal and need all the help I can get.
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Outstanding transformation! Your hard work and dedication is very inspiring!!
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Woo! So exciting, especially the waist inches. I am impressed :)
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Wow, very inspiring :)
  • SophyBlue
    SophyBlue Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. <3
  • eshnna
    eshnna Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great job! You look fabulous
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Amazing, amazing results. You truly had the desire and discipline to reach your goals. You look fab'-Congratulations!
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    That is awesome and just what I needed as I sit here tonight ready to get committed again. Thanks for sharing!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! It feels pretty good, I have to admit.

This is just the top end of my goal range. I still want to lose another few pounds as I settle into a maintenance range. And I'm thinking up new fitness goals even as we speak.
  • slimbf7
    slimbf7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm inspired
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    you look amazing! everything in moderation ~ slow and steady wins the race!!
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Wow, super great. I recognize a lot of what you're describing, I learned the same things during my process. It sounds like you did it in a healthy way by allowing yourself to enjoy the food you like (in smaller portions) and not forcing yourself to exercise, but learning to enjoy it. Watch out, you may eventually enjoy it a lot and find yourself exercising almost every day (like me)!

You look great! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • tmove2015
    tmove2015 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Thank you for sharing!
  • mamma_adventure
    mamma_adventure Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. ..you look amazing :)
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    WAHOO in only 8 months? YOU FTW!!!!! I agree completely with the slow and reasonable goals! Granted, I started out heavier and have a bit more to lose, but I too am going at less than 1 pound a week. CICO. Nothing crazy. Nothing off limits. Just conscious mindful eating, and only when I am hungry.

Way to go.....Congratulations on your success!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that's wonderful. I am still working on it, I need to learn the one small piece of chocolate a day thing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!