I can't get my protein up

Options
2»

Replies

• millsrobm
    millsrobm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Too much protein will still be stored as fat, btw. Full fat cheese has zero -1 carb usually (it's the low fat versions that have added carbs). Quest bars have a high protein to carb ratio since there is a lot of fibre in the bars which equates to a lower net carb count. Choose vegetable that have higher fibre counts like avocados (technically a fruit), zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, green onions, etc. Remember that a lot of the measurements for the meats are raw weights which cook down, so 6 oz of chicken or beef isn't quite as big as you think it might be. I am on a low carb ketogenic style diet for maintenance and it works fine this past year, but I do eat a fair bit of healthy fats in my meals.

Only if you're in a caloric surplus. You could get 100% of your calories from protein but not gain fat unless you ate more than your calorie requirements.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I do it by the week, but yeah, never hit it. We have dropped cheese from our daily diet because my son can't eat it, but tuna and fish could definitely get added in more. I have LOTS of eggs - we raise chickens - and have been snacking on boiled eggs. But I hate to throw out the yolks (waste of food!). So I add protein, but relatively more fat so it doesn't help my percentages.

I should get back to more beans. Another favorite food son can't eat. But he can eat quinoa - and I love it.

Protein was one of my big surprises when I started logging. So filling for so few calories.

Even cottage cheese?

My breakfast was 30 grams of protein (1 cup of cottage cheese and a tablespoon of hemp hearts).
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my carbs under 40%, because that is important for my maintenance. Easiest way to do that is to up my protein and to some extent fat. But I'm having an awful time. I've been trying for 3 weeks.

I have eggs and fruit or plain yogurt and granola with fruit for breakfast.
    I usually have some kind of meat with a salad for lunch. I use a teaspoon of dressing or straight vinegar.
    I have your basic lean meat (chicken/fish/pork tenderloin) and two veggies for dinner
    I'll have a 1/4 cup of ice cream and maybe some plain whole milk kefir for a snack. Sometimes I have a boiled egg or some cashews.

Not even close on protein - 20% maybe. My son is on a very strict low tyramine/histamine diet so I can't add tofu or cold cuts - two of my old staples. The only thing I have with straight sugar in it is coffee once a day and the ice cream. I feel perplexed. Just eating large amounts of meat and skimping on vegetables doesn't seem to be the healthy option. Anything with eggs or dairy adds more carbs relative to protein.

I've been maintaining for 3 years and I know my net calories are around 1780. I can do that easily, but I'm having a really hard time with macros.

I have around 1500 calories and hit around 220-250 grams of protein a day ... I don't really get what you're asking but if you want more protein get a low calorie protein like ISO whey protein powder.

Also ...eat more meat? have more eggs? You have 1 boiled egg... have 1 boiled egg + 5 egg whites ? there aren't allot of carbs in egg whites at all lol.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I've been making my own turkey jerky in a food dehydrator (so salty, but I drink tons of water) - Plenty of protein for not many calories and easy enough to make. Plus, I get roughly 5 ounces of jerky for $2 (it's around $6 for 3.5 ounces if you buy it already prepared). Just a thought, if a dehydrator is something that you could invest in. :)
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Canned fish (I like tuna, but also salmon, mackerel fillets, etc.) is a good source. I also like to snack on edamame. But I agree that it's your serving sizes that are an issue. You can't get that much protein from even high-protein foods if you're eating a small amount of them. 1/4 cup of yogurt is a generous spoonful!
  • ldashburn
    ldashburn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been able to get my protein up with a black bean burger for lunch and hummus as a snack.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Since your primary target is to reduce carbs, do you have anything against swapping in fats for some of those carbs you want to reduce? You might find it less stressful to balance protein and fats than just protein, and fats are also very filling (like protein).

Just a thought.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my carbs under 40%, because that is important for my maintenance. Easiest way to do that is to up my protein and to some extent fat. But I'm having an awful time. I've been trying for 3 weeks.

I usually have some kind of meat with a salad for lunch. I use a teaspoon of dressing or straight vinegar.
    I have your basic lean meat (chicken/fish/pork tenderloin) and two veggies for dinner
    I'll have a 1/4 cup of ice cream and maybe some plain whole milk kefir for a snack. Sometimes I have a boiled egg or some cashews.

Not even close on protein - 20% maybe. My son is on a very strict low tyramine/histamine diet so I can't add tofu or cold cuts - two of my old staples. The only thing I have with straight sugar in it is coffee once a day and the ice cream. I feel perplexed. Just eating large amounts of meat and skimping on vegetables doesn't seem to be the healthy option. Anything with eggs or dairy adds more carbs relative to protein.

I've been maintaining for 3 years and I know my net calories are around 1780. I can do that easily, but I'm having a really hard time with macros.

First i have to say "phrasing" in regard to the title

Protein in take easy fix: Chicken and protein powder. Don't waste time with nuts too many calories for a little bit of protein IMO. Tuna and Greek yogurt are wonderful as well.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm perplexed about your egg comment . . . eggs have very close to ZERO carbs, and even that minute amount is in the yolk. If you're eating an egg, you are getting only fat and protein. And if you eat only the white, you are getting very nearly PURE protein.

So . . . more eggs = less carbs. (That's part of my trick, BTW)

If I were you (and I'm not), I would cut the ice cream, and perhaps the granola.

I see that protein shakes were recommended, and I might second that, if you would be satisfied by getting some of your nutrition from a liquid, but be careful . . . there are a lot of protein enhancers (shakes, bars, etc) that have a LOT of carbs, too. If you go that route, make sure you find some that are low carb.

Eating tuna straight out of the can is another good option I saw above. (Also, please take the advice to throw out the metal. The paper label, too, unless you want the fiber.)

Finally . . . people keep asking why you want to do this, and I see you say that you are nervous about diabetes. A very good reason. However, please take a good look at diabetic diet resources . . . for diabetics, all carbs are not created equal. Perhaps you should be focusing on SUGAR, and not all carbs.

Good luck!