pescatarians? where are you

Options
i went to the BOM today and really could not find any recipes books so point me in the right direction and be nice to have some friends that are.

Replies

• taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Me, technically. I rarely eat fish though. I basically occasionally eat tuna sandwiches at work, or have a fishcake from the chip shop. They're the only fishy stuff I likes!
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    fish cake.....................is that like a tuna melt.......................are there really not that many of us out there?
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Jerzeeblondie Posts: 236
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian, but I don't have too many recipes... I eat salmon, tuna, and I'm going to try swordfish tonight. I use a lot of soy products cause I'm not a fan of tofu. I use a lot of morningstar farms and boca burger products.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    never tried swordfish lol let me know how that tastes?? not a fan of tofu really either love boca burgers as well
  • SparkleKittie
    SparkleKittie Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian who, aside from fish and the occasional dairy treat, eats mostly vegan style. Fish is awesome. :) Btw, you're on my friends list. I'll have to post some fish recipes. :P AND do you have a Costco out there? They do a truly amazing stuffed salmon that you can pick up in a three-pack (separate and freeze the other pieces) and bake in olive oil. Absolutely delicious!
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    please do and yes we have one have to stop in i have to go shopping tomorrow i do still eat a small bit of dairy mostly egg whites and cottage cheese. i use unsweetened almond milk for everything
  • SparkleKittie
    SparkleKittie Posts: 127
    Options
    Yeah, I gotta get some almond milk. I've been told that too much soy milk can be harmful to my hormone levels. Gonna switch to almond. :)
  • leahnassar
    leahnassar Posts: 9
    Options
    hi.. I'm a pescatarian also and just joined MFP. I usually just say I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, but I am at risk for diabetes so it's easier to get lower-carb, lower-fat protein in my diet by including fish.
  • jannapurna
    jannapurna Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the Moosewood Restaurant recipe book series? They're vegetarian/pescatarian (sp?) and the recipes are easy and delicious! Also, they list all of the calories, fat, carbs, protein, sodium, etc. for a serving of each recipe, which is soooo helpful for me as I'm terrible at guessing those numbers.
    Here's a recipe for you and anyone interested. It's from Moosewood and it's one of my favourites. Enjoy!
    Festive Black Bean Chili

2C chopped onions
    2 garlic cloves (I always put more!)
    1/2 cup water
    1TBSP cumin
    1TBSP coriander
    1C prepared Mexican-style salsa
    2 red and/or green bell peppers, chopped
    3C cooked black beans (two 15oz cans, drained and rinsed)
    3C canned whole tomatoes, with juice (28oz can)
    2C fresh or frozen corn kernels (11oz package or can)
    hot sauce to taste
    fresh cilantro (optional)

In a covered soup pot, cook the onions and garlic in the water on high heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Add the cumin and coriander and stir on high heat for a minute. Stir in the salsa and bell peppers, lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the black beans and tomatoes; simmer for 10 minutes. Add the corn and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Add hot sauce to taste. Stir in the cilantro, if desired.

11oz (1 1/4 cup) per serving
  • MeaggyTheGreaty
    MeaggyTheGreaty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Swordfish is great! One of my favorites, you can really do just about anything with it. The mercury is pretty high in it though so I only have it once or twice a month.

Usually when I make fish I put it in some foil with a tiny bit of olive oil or butter and some garlic then put it in the oven at 350. Cooking time can vary by the type of fish but usually about 20 minutes. When it's done I squeeze a little bit of lemon on it and it goes well with pretty much any side you want.

I have other recipes as well but that's what I do when I'm not feeling very creative.
  • leahnassar
    leahnassar Posts: 9
    Options
    fresh cilantro is NEVER optional!! it usually totally makes a recipe :)
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    thanks guys will check that book out and thanks for the heads up on swordfish
  • littleone101701
    Options
    Another pescatarian here! I LOVE my Moosewood cookbooks.
  • veggiepug
    Options
    I'm pescatarian :) (although only temporarily, I plan to go back to lacto-ovo veg in a few months).

I made Skinny Taste spicy shrimp fried rice for dinner tonight (google for the recipe). SOOOO good and filling!

I make a tuna sandwich a couple times a week for lunch.

I also recently started making salmon. I tried this recipe last week and it was phenomenal: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grilled-Salmon-I/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=63803030&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2011-07-25&prop28=DailyRecipe&prop29=FullRecipe&me=1
  • amanda_danielle18
    amanda_danielle18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just recently became a pescatarian last week or so, and it's a little tricky trying not to eat red meat. I sneaked some bacon today.. oops!
    I absolutely love seafood.. but I'm running out of ideas! I basically just eat trout or salmon everyday, and it's getting a little tiring! help me out here! haha, also I'd love to have some friends who are pescatarian so i can pick your brain a lil bit ! :)
  • gottorow
    gottorow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've started eating a 4oz serving of wild salmon or tilapia recently 2-3 times a week. I bake it under foil for 7-8 minutes with lemon and black pepper or crushed red pepper and then broil it 2-3 minutes. It's such a mild favor it helps to spice up the veggie sides. Experiment with seasonings.
  • Vicki685
    Vicki685 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm pescatarian. I tend to just grill or cook my fish in a lightly oiled pan - salmon, tuna and calamari mostly - but I did recently try this chilli and lime dressing for prawns and it was delicious - http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/513244. I think it would work with squid rings and maybe unsmoked salmon too.
  • cwb2478
    cwb2478 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Another pesca here. I normally eat tuna, but I'll eat anything fishy. A great app for you is the seafood watch app from the monterey bay aquarium. It tells you which fish is harvested sustainably and which is not. The app figures it out by the region you are in. I try and eat one new fish a month. My favorite is
    Wild salmon
    very little honey drizzled over the fish
    mandarine orange juice over the fish
    jalapeno's sliced on the fish
    cilantro
    bell peppers
    onions
    a little salt
    a little pepper
    sealed in tin foil and baked at 400 for 20 minutes
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Add md to the list! I mostly eat salmon, tilapia, and shrimp. Wish I had some recipes to offer.