Thirsty - water not helping?

Options
Hey
Does anyone else find sometimes they feel really thirsty but water just isn't doing it. I must have drunk 1 1/2 litres of water so far today (6 hours into my day) and it just isn't quenching my thirst.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medications? I'm on one that makes me constantly thirsty, no matter how much water I drink.

If this just suddenly happened, see a doctor.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You may have dry mouth-chew sugarless gum or suck sugerless candy-also there are some remedies at the drug store.

There is a thing called diabetes insipidus that causes extreme thirst or even diabetes I think but you'd have to consult your MD on this if you're concerned.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    This is something you should consult a physician about.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I put it in as being thirsty for a certain thing, like a hunger craving. Try drinking something other than water, maybe black coffee or tea?
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Sometimes. I put it in as being thirsty for a certain thing, like a hunger craving. Try drinking something other than water, maybe black coffee or tea?

You read my mind, just drinking a black tea now.
    Thanks for the tips, no not on any meds. Has happened a few times since I've been watching what I'm eating. I will keep an eye

• helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water throughout the day but I find as well that sometimes water doesn't cut it. A good cup of tea does the trick for me :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Is this isolated or ongoing?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If this continues, i'd talk to your doctor. Are you on any medication?are you diabetic?
    Have you tried sucking candy? Sometimes when i'm feeling parched, a sucking candy helps
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    See a doctor if this is a regular thing. If it's just a one off, water not doing it for you, try something flavoured
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I agree you should talk to a doctor if this is a regular thing. I had this at the end of my last pregnancy and even though I had passed all the diabetes tests turns out I had gestational diabetes for about the last 3 weeks.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Have your doctor check your A1c Immediately, unquenchable thirst is a sign of diabetes, I was diagnosed with type II last September after spending almost all of August, sweating, and chugging about 2 gallons of water/day. caught early enough diabetes can be controlled with diet and exercise. ( with a pill or two to get you under control, and assist until you can manage on your own.)
  • NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. Water doesn't tend to quench my thirst. Only cold cold fizzy drinks do it. But that's probably because of my illness and medications.

I would perhaps see if there's a medical reason for this. Diabetics have thirsts that water doesn't help do they not?
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Some days I just can't drink enough. I think it's the same as having a day where you're hungry no matter what. But yeah, if this is a thing that happens all the time, for sure talk to your doctor.
  • Lola2248
    Options
    thanks everyone, it is occasionally, but I am monitoring it now to see how often I get it. and then I can see my doc and let him know how often it happens. In the meantime, I am having weak squash and that seems to be hitting the mark.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Not getting enough potassium can cause you to be thirstier than normal.
  • Lola2248
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »
    Not getting enough potassium can cause you to be thirstier than normal.

Cool. I will see if I can get multi vitamins with potassium in.

• AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I agree with this! When I stopped drinking soda, water just didn't seem to quench my thirst. I felt like my body was saying "give me soda!". I started drinking unsweetened cold brew* iced tea, and it seems to be the best alternative to soda I've found.

*I do cold brew because its much milder that hot brewed tea. It doesn't have the bitterness, and its much safer than sun tea