Partial Tear In Rotor Cuff, Exercises ?

Options
TNoire
TNoire Posts: 642 Member
I've had a partial tear in my rotor cuff for over a year now, I been trying to get back on the wagon with losing weight, Ive been walking but I want to up my game to lose weight at a more steady pace then a lb here one there and one a few months down the road, does anyone know if there is any kind of stuff I could do without turning the partial into a full and get a better workout to lose more weight then waiting months to lose so little?

Thanks!

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If its kept you out for a year then what does your physio say> i ve had problems twice and my mindset became I am injured do not make it worse and let it get better. If rest hasnt worked for over e year then you need to consult with your Dr and physio as mine just got better from rest.

As for the weight, then its more importnat to focus on the accuracy of your logging and that will be more effective in helping you lose weight.

In terms of cardio, then I cna see why it affects running, eliptical, stairmaster or bike?
    In terms of weights then you cna use machines or exercises which only use the unaffected muscles. or use a dumblee just for the unaffected side. Its just a workaround and be carful not to aggravate the injurty intil you feel its stable and then you should either get confirmation from your PT or I just carefully trued it and you can sense whether its ok or not.

So that means you are giving exercise more credit than it deserves in the weight loss area. theres plenty you cna do without exericse to continue losing. Theres also plenty of exercise you cna do without having to use the affected arm, jsut workaround and be careful.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but from my own experience with a minor rotator cuff tear, I found that I had more pain when I DIDN'T exercise. Doctor was going to send me to PT (first he said surgery, but I said slow down, activity seems to help, so can't we try therapy?), but an insurance snafu delayed things, and in the meantime I continued to exercise, but didn't do anything that caused any sort of shoulder pain. And it got better. That was several years ago. Now I do all the exercises, but just have to make sure I'm keeping proper form.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for an operation to repair mine. .its agony just to move. .can't wait to get back to exercise. ..walking is starting to become boring! ! :wink:
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Going on my 2nd month of rotary cuff problems; I continue to exercise and have incorporated a shoulder routine (10 lb weight max) all other exercise I've kept at 50%. I find exercise actually helps.

Here's a couple of routines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfyN1F0HCBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2tNBOmvGs
  • TNoire
    Options
    I talked with my PT and they said I can do whatever just low weights and take it easy and listen to my body and when it says enough to stop. I went to PT though last year for a couple months but I had to stop cause I didn't want to hit my limit on my medical benefits and start paying X outta pocket to keep going. So they gave me a stack of pages of stretches i could do and keep up on.

I have felt better since I started working out but I wanted to step up the pace, thanks all for the vids and advice :)
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    dawniemate wrote: »
    I'm waiting for an operation to repair mine. .its agony just to move. .can't wait to get back to exercise. ..walking is starting to become boring! ! :wink:

Same here. I have another 30 days until my operation and then 4-6 weeks recovery. It even hurts just laying in bed at night, let alone doing anything. <sigh> Some day, I'll be back on track and able to do something.

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    having had one last year my first question is, is it still torn or are the muscles just inflamed? Two different issues. When I tore mine the tear healed but the muscle remained inflamed for some time. Got a cortisone shot and now all is good. Just have to watch the over the head work.
    The picture above with the guy in the blue shirt is one of the best moves. But instead of one arm, get a theraband and hold it in both hands, wrists in same position as above and move them both out, keeping elbows completely tucked. that will help strengthen both sides
  • Cindymop
    Cindymop Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am 8 weeks out from my surgery. I suffered with a partial tear for 2 1/2 years. I went thru 3 rounds of physical therapy (6 to 8 weeks each time). I got a little (and I do mean little) bit better but that was all. My doctor said it was just going to take time. I was very dilagent with the home exercises given to me by the PT. The doctor finally ordered a 2nd MRI, and because I had gone so long with the tear, holding my body differently, protecting my shoulder, I had developed bone spurs on the bone holding the socket in place and damage to surrounding muscles caused by this spur.

At this point I am going to physical therapy 3 times a week (very expensive long term like this), and not even allowed to lift any weight with this arm therefore not allowed to work -- 8 weeks so far. I still have a lot of pain when using this arm and can only raise it to the front close to shoulder height and too the side not even as high as my waist. But this is tons better than 1 week after surgery.

My advice to those who have "partial tears", is to be very dilagent with your care. Some doctors say "a tear can not repair itself" and others say it can. I was advised that it could take up to 6 months to heal with PT, but I was also told that recovery from surgery could be 6 weeks to 6 months. Don't wait too long.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    REHAB. The worse thing you can do is to not use it and hope it gets better on its own. Go to a physio therapist and get a rehab routine! Slow and steady wins this race.
  • mitch22098
    mitch22098 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. 6 or 7 years ago I tore my cuffs so badly falling out of an attic that I couldn't lift my arms overhead or throw an overhand ball properly for two years. I couldn't go to the doctor(no insurance). Even now exercises like push ups and pull ups are excruciating. I still work out, I just modify some exercises( push ups on knees) to keep the bad pain at bay.
  • TNoire
    Options
    Mine is just a partial tear but I also have tendonitis in my shoulder also but now they think its going though my left arm, sucks!