Does Anybody Know What This Is?

Options
2»

Replies

• Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I am not a doctor, and have no idea what is causing this ...but as soon as i read it, it instantly reminded me of a talk i had with a coworker. He would go to the gym before work each morning and he noticed that he would develop a red itchy rash every time he worked out. I said, are you allergic to something at the gym?? He said no, it happens at home too!!
    So anyway he described many of the feelings that you also described. Hes 65yrs old and has no known allergies. Hes actually in the process of speaking to his doctor about this so i will update this post as soon as he gets a diagnosis to see if that might help you out alao.
    But in the mean time i would definitely see a doctor about it for sure

You know, when I did see my doc, it didn't come up because I wasn't exercising. I'm going to see her here in a couple of weeks. So, I'll remember to bring it up.

In the meantime, thorsmom, please do update what he is told. Thank you!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I get that in the winter when I'm very cold and start to exercise. I think it's something to do with the nerves...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Do your muscles kind of twitch during the tingling? I get a feeling like what you described in my legs (back only), without any redness that also goes away after I've cooled down and it doesn't matter what I wear. It also only happens when I've worked particularly hard and I've gotten really hot.
    I always thought it was kinda weird but figured it was normal because it's not painful for me and goes away fairly quickly.
    Interesting...
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    Do your muscles kind of twitch during the tingling? I get a feeling like what you described in my legs (back only), without any redness that also goes away after I've cooled down and it doesn't matter what I wear. It also only happens when I've worked particularly hard and I've gotten really hot.
    I always thought it was kinda weird but figured it was normal because it's not painful for me and goes away fairly quickly. Interesting...

Hi, Sunny_Bunny, nope no twitching at all. Just that horrible feeling. Thank you so much for your input. It's good to know that this is not some isolated occurrence.
  • julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have suffered with similar issues in the past. Intense itching especially on my thighs mainly when getting warm exercising in cold weather and also a nasty itchy rash up my arms in the summer. I am not usually a big believer in homeopathy but I have had some success controlling these issues with Urtica Urens pillules and anti-histamines (loratidine). I also have a homepathic cream which I use when rashes start to appear. Last year I managed to get through a very hot weeks holiday in Crete without any symptoms starting to show up until the last 2 days. I am also told that Apis Mellifica is good for conditions involving itching.
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    Wow, thank you julielh! That is very informative and I will most certainly look into getting these and having them on hand.
  • daniellee_xo
    daniellee_xo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    This happened to me about a year ago. I wear tight leggings when I work out and when I was sweating, my knee was getting extremely itchy. I went to get it checked out, and my doctor told me that I had eczema. I had to use a cream to get rid of it and I have been fine ever since. You should definitely go get it checked out!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Indigoblu1 wrote: »
    the areas that are affected are my rear end, back and lower legs - all in the back, nothing on the front side of me is affected.

That's a pretty unusual pattern. Where's Dr. House when you need him. B) Mention it to your doctor next time you're there. If you can choose doctors, i'd see an internist, as they tend to be better at diagnosing uncommon conditions.

Have you tried an antihistamine?

I miss that show so much :(

OP, sounds like you may want to bring it up to your doctor as others have said. I'm sorry that's happening to you as it sound awful and I hope you get it figured out.

• chazza55
    chazza55 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    no guarantees this is what you are talking about but my brother used to get something called "prickly heat" when he went to the gym: http://www.webmd.boots.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/prickly-heat-rash

• Indigoblu1
    Options
    That's a pretty unusual pattern. Where's Dr. House when you need him.
    Have you tried an antihistamine?

Ha ha, I missed this the first time around, Cherimoose. Dr. House would have four words to say, "Well, it isn't lupus."

I have not tried antihistamine.
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    chazza55 wrote: »
    no guarantees this is what you are talking about but my brother used to get something called "prickly heat" when he went to the gym: http://www.webmd.boots.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/prickly-heat-rash

Hi, chazza, no, I'm certain it isn't prickly heat because it goes away just as soon as I cool off. The minute it's exposed to a fan or A/C, it's gone.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I think I know exactly what you're talking about, and it doesn't sound like anything anyone has suggested so far. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is, but I am affected by it also. It typically happens to me on the back of my neck, or on the scalp.

Is it like the pins/needles sensation you get when your foot falls asleep, but combined with an itch more intense than you've ever felt any other time in your life?

I get this when I overheat outdoors in the summer, and it makes me immediately stop whatever I'm doing in order to scratch the ever loving crap out of myself until it goes away, or I cool down enough. It sounds closest to prickly heat rash, but I don't personally get any raised bumps, or anything like that. I only get the sensation of a thousand pins jabbing into my skin with the itch.
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    I think I know exactly what you're talking about, and it doesn't sound like anything anyone has suggested so far. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is, but I am affected by it also. It typically happens to me on the back of my neck, or on the scalp.

Is it like the pins/needles sensation you get when your foot falls asleep, but combined with an itch more intense than you've ever felt any other time in your life?

I get this when I overheat outdoors in the summer, and it makes me immediately stop whatever I'm doing in order to scratch the ever loving crap out of myself until it goes away, or I cool down enough. It sounds closest to prickly heat rash, but I don't personally get any raised bumps, or anything like that. I only get the sensation of a thousand pins jabbing into my skin with the itch.

peachfuzzle, Yesssss! Exactly like those pins and needles, extreme, intense itchiness - it hurts like hell! And itching it in the heat does nothing but make it worse, but you can't help but itch it. I don't get raised bumps at all, either. Yes, thousands of pins jabbing in my skin - perfect way to describe it.
  • julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I once had it so badly that I felt like I wanted to rip the skin off my thighs....it's torture!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

peachfuzzle, Yesssss! Exactly like those pins and needles, extreme, intense itchiness - it hurts like hell! And itching it in the heat does nothing but make it worse, but you can't help but itch it. I don't get raised bumps at all, either. Yes, thousands of pins jabbing in my skin - perfect way to describe it.

Well, I might not know what it is, but at least you're not alone. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something called cholinergic urticaria - basically allergic to exercise.
    Do you take aspirin? That can make it worse.
    Holy crap, Cherimoose! That sounds just like it, only mine ends as soon as I get cooled off. So, when it happens, if I'm in a place to pull off the clothes and stand by a fan or in AC for a few minutes, it goes away immediately. The areas are red like a rash, but there are no welts, etc. at all.

I get like that- but it's usually when I haven't worked out in a while- my doctor actually told me to start taking zurtec before working out- but I think mine was more of a circulation issue- mine also starts in the large muscle groups- if it gets really bad it creeps into my quads and into my stomach- I sat down one time and almost cried it itched so bad. It's really uncomfortable.

My best solution has been to continue to work out- sometimes I can push through- sometimes I can't. But - across the board- the more I work out- the less it bothers me (to the point where it's a rarity.)

Good luck- I'd definitely see your doctor if you aren't getting any relief!
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    julielh72 wrote: »
    I once had it so badly that I felt like I wanted to rip the skin off my thighs....it's torture!

julielh, I can't help but laugh, because I was going to say that it makes me want to rip the skin on my rear end off, but I held back!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Try loose cotton instead of tight spandex.

Try a quick shower before working out to remove lotions, perfumes, etc. from your skin.
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    Try loose cotton instead of tight spandex.

Try a quick shower before working out to remove lotions, perfumes, etc. from your skin.

Yes, socalkay, I am thinking that a large majority of this comes from the spandex that I was wearing and the tight jeans walking in the heat.