PMS binge, help!

Options
Hey guys so I'm new to this app but my weightloss and fitness regime started at Easter after getting dumped! I've already lost 20 pounds! Anyway, I have a problem: I eat clean every single day (no cheat days) and work out for an hour about 4-5 times a week but around my period I get crazy cravings and eat loads of crap! It's so frustrating! I know it's hormonal but I was wondering if one binge a month will really jeopardise my weight and fitness? I had an "episode" last night, I must've eaten around 1,000 calories of sweet stuff (I never ever do it otherwise), but today I've eaten very little and healthy and went to the gym for an hour. Any help or advice appreciated!

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Nah. Weight loss is math. If you ate 1000 over your maintenance, you slowed yourself down by 1000. That's like 2 days if you're aiming for a 500 deficit per day. Less if you only ate 1000 over target and not maintenance. So if you were a perfect robot person, you'd lose 1 lb 2 days sooner. But no one is perfect, and whether you're doing it on a date or at a party or on your period or just because, sometimes we eat over our targets. Thin, fit, healthy people eat extra sometimes too. You'll be fine.

I mean, by all means, try to find strategies that work for you to limit it a bit. But don't nurture guilt or try to double your planned workouts.

Also, I'm sure you've heard this, but just in case: You can eat whatever you want (including sweets or "dirty" foods) and lose weight. Clean eating is a way of eating that some people enjoy because they like the way it makes them feel... but it is not going to get you weight loss by itself. Your calorie deficit does that. So you could work in some treats throughout the month if you'd like to.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    No, one day will not jeopardize your weight loss as long as you get right back on track which you have. Just make sure you track the binge to get an idea of how many calories you went over and maybe work out a bit harder and eat at the lower end of your calorie goal for a few days.
  • alizeepa
    alizeepa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies ❤️
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    One binge will not immediately sabotage or ruin your progress. If it happens on a regular basis it will start to slow you down or stall your weight loss, but overall for me it's better when a setback happens to just back back on my regular plan, maybe try to fit in some extra exercise or cut out a couple hundred calories over the course of the week. 'Punishing' myself with very severe restriction to make up for the binge just makes me miserable and more prone to slip and binge again because I'm hangry.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I always keep a candy bar in my desk drawer for that reason, lol. I just let it happen.