Sugar Intake

Options
Hey Everyone,

I am so confused by this. My diet plan that was created by MFP says I should only have 24g of sugar a day. My apple alone had 25g. How am I supposed to keep this under 24g? I would have to completely not eat fruit-but it's good for you!! I know in moderation, but only one fruit a day?! That seems absurd to me.

Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    MPF's sugaar intake is really low.

Try to get under 40 grams of sugar including fruits and veggies. The 24 grams should be just for added sugars.

At least that's what I do! Hope this helps :smile:
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I would check out some other apples listed on the site. A 4.4 oz (125 gram) apple only has approximately 65 calories and 13 grams sugar. That would mean you ate about a 1/2 pound apple for 25 grams of sugar. Unfortunately, not all foods are listed correctly on the site.

If I go over on sugar due to fruit consumption I don't take it so bad. If I went over on sugar due to processed foods I ate, I would be upset and cutting back.
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    I wouldn't think it's necessary to eat more than one piece of fruit a day. Way too much sugar.
  • willowrw
    willowrw Posts: 5
    Options
    I wouldn't think it's necessary to eat more than one piece of fruit a day. Way too much sugar.

Nutritionally, you should be eating about three servings of fruit a day. The sugar in them is the good, low glycemic index kind.
  • YvetteBabich
    Options
    I wish people would quit bashing fruit, because I eat a ridiculous amount of fruit every day. I love it and don't want to have to consider stopping, haha.

Can someone tell us what exactly is so bad about fruit sugar? I've lost 30 pounds January 1st-end of March on a diet that included 2 oranges, a pear, two kiwis, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries or blackberries every single day. Granted, I'm in a plateau right now but I still don't want to believe tons of fruit is a bad thing unless I really have to!
  • emae13
    emae13 Posts: 6
    Options
    fruit sugar is not bad. It's totally different sugar from say, table sugar or high fructose corn syrup. (fruits have fructose, table sugar (sucrose) is glucose and fructose, etc)
    the daily recommendation of sugar should be for added sugar, and I don't think fruit sugar should be included...
  • mlconway
    mlconway Posts: 23
    Options
    I wish people would quit bashing fruit, because I eat a ridiculous amount of fruit every day. I love it and don't want to have to consider stopping, haha.

Can someone tell us what exactly is so bad about fruit sugar? I've lost 30 pounds January 1st-end of March on a diet that included 2 oranges, a pear, two kiwis, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries or blackberries every single day. Granted, I'm in a plateau right now but I still don't want to believe tons of fruit is a bad thing unless I really have to!

I'm with you. I love fruit and eat a ton of it. I'm going to go with the limit being for added sugars, not the kind that's in fruit. It makes way more sense. That I agree with, you should have very little refined sugar a day!