Dizzy

Options
ugh the dizziness is starting again. This always happens to me. I swear I am eating a lot 1400-1800 depending on the day. Even more some days. Probably about twice a week. I'm only down like 3 pounds in a month. Why do I always get dizzy when dieting? I also drink plenty of water about 4-7 bottles a day. Any thoughts?

Replies

• greekyogurtandpuppies
    greekyogurtandpuppies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How much are you working out if you're active?
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 60 minute zumba class 2-4 days a week. I also do some strength training when I'm at the gym.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What are you eating? Can you open your diary?

How tall are you? What's your weight?
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    How's your protein intake? I used to literally black out while working out and my doctor told me I wasn't consuming nearly enough protein. I doubled my intake (I used to pretty much live on carbs) and suddenly stopped getting dizzy at the gym.
  • discretekim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So I'm 5'7.5" and 164 now. I'm not totally comfortable opening my diary. Plus it's not all filled in anyway. The days I go over I would rather not see the entries.

Edit: opened for a little bit for some insight.
  • discretekim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    And I think my protein is pretty good too. I got 105 grams yesterday and 109 the day before.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Are you just reducing portions, or a particular macro?
  • discretekim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Portions and mostly aiming to eat healthier. I used to see a nutritionist and a lot of my meals are based off of the dietary exchanges. So like 3 protein 2 starch 2 vegetable 2 fat. That kind of thing. But then trying to record on here.
    My biggest focuses are fiber dairy and vegetables.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    also consider low sugar. that's mostly when I have the issue. and of course, see your dr because it could be blood pressure, low sugar, low protein, inner ear infection, vertigo. and only your dr can really tell you
  • discretekim
    Options
    Yeah it happens mostly before I eat. Or during my workouts. So sugar is possible.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yeah it happens mostly before I eat. Or during my workouts. So sugar is possible.

Have you had recent lab work drawn? It sounds like maybe it could be low blood sugar. I would call your MD office and ask them to have some lab work done.
  • discretekim
    Options
    Well my last blood work was in March. Everything was normal then. I just checked. I wasn't fasting it was about an hour after lunch and my glucose was 86. My blood work in August 2014 when I was fasting had glucose of 81. Would you think it should be checked again since I'm getting dizzy?

Also does anyone think it's possible that dieting could be increasing side effects of my medication? And that's why I'm dizzy because it's a possible side effect listed on the bottle.
  • Azexas
    Options
    Well my last blood work was in March. Everything was normal then. I just checked. I wasn't fasting it was about an hour after lunch and my glucose was 86. My blood work in August 2014 when I was fasting had glucose of 81. Would you think it should be checked again since I'm getting dizzy?

Also does anyone think it's possible that dieting could be increasing side effects of my medication? And that's why I'm dizzy because it's a possible side effect listed on the bottle.

It wouldn't hurt to phone your doctor office and let them know what has been going on. May I ask what medication you are on and if there was a recent increase?

My friend was diagnosed hypoglycemic and her MD had her invest in a blood glucose monitor and had her test her blood sugar whenever she was feeling dizzy or light headed. That was how they caught it with her.
  • try4better128
    try4better128 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    7 bottles of water a day... 14 cups? Maybe it's too much for you?
  • discretekim
    Options
    No recent changes I've been on it for about four years I think. it is ritalin. I'm on a low dose. 5 mg 3 x day. I might see a doctor. It seems the consensus is being dizzy like this isn't normal especially for the diet I have. I really want to lose some weight, but I don't want to hurt my health.
  • Azexas
    Options
    No recent changes I've been on it for about four years I think. it is ritalin. I'm on a low dose. 5 mg 3 x day. I might see a doctor. It seems the consensus is being dizzy like this isn't normal especially for the diet I have. I really want to lose some weight, but I don't want to hurt my health.

Sounds like a good plan calling your MD.

Just out of curiosity, do you notice getting dizzy around the time you take your Ritalin? Just trying to rule out the med.
  • TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Use preworkout energy sources ( bananas or whey 1 scoops) 30min before training.
    Most likely your initial sources of energy to the body is not enough which is making you dizzy.
    Try change that by adding some carbs or protein to your present diet.
    If you are taking fat burner or thermogenic then stop using those.
    Good luck.
  • discretekim
    Options
    Well sometimes the dizziness coincide with the ritalin and sometimes it doesn't. Like in the morning I usually take it with my coffee then eat breakfast once my raspberries have thawed. That's when I felt it earlier. But I ate my breakfast and still feel dizzy. Oh and then I usually don't take it close to my workout but I often feel dizzy then. I will look into finding a doctor in my city. Recently moved.
    Also I don't think it's too much water. I usually only reach 7 on workout days where I drink 2 bottles during my class.

Anyway thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm going to close my diary now. :)
  • Azexas
    Options
    Good luck to you OP. :)
  • discretekim
    Options
    Update: I may be getting sick. I feel kind of clammy and nauseated.