Q: how can I stop snacking between meals?

Options
2»

Replies

• blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have found that eating smaller meals and eating 5-6x per day helps me from snacking. Its when I go 4 hours between meals I find myself wanting to snack mindlessly especially when cooking. I also crave sweets after a filling meal. I have started using a meal replacement shake in the mornings for breakfast and I have the chocolate one and that seems to help me with my cravings and its surprisingly good and affordable.

I also prepare all my food for the week and portion it out so I am not tempted to grab more it takes time to do it but I am thankful for it on days I am running late and all I have to do is grab the container out of the refrigerator and go.

My day today:

5am - workout
    730am - drink shake on my way to work
    1030am - plain greek yogurt with fresh strawberries
    12 - 1pm - leftover skinny baked chicken nuggets, garden salad and onion vinegarette
    230 - 330pm- 3/4 cup of celery and 2tbs peanut butter
    630pm - skinny pesto brown rice over swiss chard
    8-9pm - I may have a snack I usually don't need it but in case I will have 1oz of low fat cheese

I usually have a harder time in the morning than the afternoon sometimes I forget my afternoon snack and that's ok but I do have it and I am not reaching for a vending machine or drive thru.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Don't pack snacks?

I only eat what I pack. Problem solved.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Add in more filling foods to your meals so that you aren't hungry between meals. What are you eating for your meals?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    for one thing, you could just plan those snacks into your day if you know you like to snack...I have to have my afternoon snacks, so I plan for them rather than mindlessly eating them.

beyond that, these kinds of things are just habits...nobody can really help you with breaking a habit, it's simply a matter of willpower and not doing it.

I just started a cut to finish off a cut I started back in March but never finished...I don't log so I have to come up with ways to get myself into a calorie deficit. I've chosen to reduce my consumption of desert and curb some of my drinking. I'm in the habit of having desert pretty much every night...usually some kind of dark chocolate, ice cream, or candy...it's a habit and it's annoying as hell to finish my dinner and not have desert...but within a couple of weeks, I will hardly even think about it. If I really need something, I grab a handful of blueberries or something.

Same for the booze...I am in the habit of coming home and having a few cocktails or beers most nights...I've established that I will allow myself a couple glasses of wine mid week and good times on Saturday nights...again, PITA because it's habit...and my ice tea just isn't cutting it....but it will be fine within a week or two.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    any tips would help. I find myself mindlessly snacking between meals when I'm not even really hungry or wanting a sweet dessert after a perfectly filling dinner. Help!

try making a protein shake. and having that between breakfast and lunch and if you want an after dinner sweets, try making a frozen protein fruit bars. i would throw in a cup of berries with a scoop of protein, blend it and freeze it. they are pretty good. :)
  • shawna771
    shawna771 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions from many people. I have found it effective to eat approx. 5 times/day, and keep each "meal" under 250 calories. Then I get to eat regularly and stick w healthy but enjoyable food. I like smoothies a lot, especially since I discovered low cal / high protein recipes that are dessert substitutes (using cottage cheese (no flavor once blended whatsoever), Stevia, and xantham gum (key ingredient) to make them thick and creamy). If you don't eat much, a chocolate smoothie becomes as satisfying as a milkshake.

Also, drinking water or flavored water, or snacking on low calorie fruit (any berries) will fill you up.

Some professionals recommend brushing your teeth when you get a food craving. It is ok option if mild toothpaste - nothing sharp or burning.

Last idea, sometimes replacing craving w even a few minutes exercise will do the trick for me. Makes me feel good all around bc I achieved something positive. Plus, that energy of a craving goes into that five minutes on bike. Between satisfaction, and change of thought process, or even desire not to waste that effort put in, craving goes away.