New to myfitness pal,I have a few questions.

Options
Shyloh1
Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
Do you think 1380 calories a day is enough?

I work out 5 days a week. I do cardio 3-4 days and weights 2-3.

I work 3-4 days/weeks on a surgical floor as a physio assist. I have to lift patients and exercise machines for knees. I'm usually on my feet for an 8 hour day.

Any advice is appreciated.:smile:

Replies

• NancyCatherineWalker
    Options
    It's based on your weight now and the weight you want to be. Did you list your activity levels for work when you signed in?
  • timeforachange2011
    Options
    did you set your settings at the suggest activity level for your job? I am an RN and I had to adjust my settings to including my 12 hr days on my feet! :)
  • bex22mcn
    bex22mcn Posts: 90
    Options
    As long as you eat back your exercise calories I'm sure you will be fine! Try it for a while and see how you go - remembering that aiming for a pound a week weightloss is recommended!

Good luck with your journey! x
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It is enough but (me personally) I suggest making sure you NET that many calories. That means that when you subtract your exercise calories you eat back that number of calories. For example: Start at 1200, exercise and burn 300, that leaves a net of 900, eat back 300 to net 1200. Many on here disagree about eating back your exercise calories. When I didn't and was only netting 700 calories or so my weight loss stopped I started having symptoms like headaches and dizziness. I hope this makes sense. It confused me at first, I hope you understand what I mean. As far as what you do at work. I have been told that exercise is anything you do above and beyond a normal day. If you do those things everyday, then your body is used to that...even if it seems like exercise. I may be wrong...I don't like to suggest something to someone and have them think "that is the way to do it". This is just what I have been told.
  • mehlen
    mehlen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Like she said...it's based on height and current weight...and level of motion. At 5'9" seditary lifestyle, and well heavy...it recommended 1220 for me. At first I was nervous about that...but when I cut out a lot of the breads and desserts...I found I'm often struggling to make those calories...then my body wants to store everything...which makes it harder to lose.

One of the decisions I made when I started this was that I would observe what I did and what I ate. After all...what I was doing is what got me in this shape. From those observations, I could then make educated choices about what I wanted to change or not. This mentality has taken the "dieting" out of the diet thing and into a "What am I doing" thing. I get to find yummy treats that I can add in that are useful calories...and often they are more fun then the junk. It's about choices now...not "dieting"

I'd say give it a chance and be extremely honest about what goes in. In doing this...you can see ways to add food while cutting calories...and really have more fun with it.
    Good luck and *hugs* Feel free to add me if you want.
    Mary
  • AniSlim
    AniSlim Posts: 8
    Options
    Congratulations first on your new journey. You have to sign up first so you can keep up with your weight loss and it will tell you how much to eat each day, calories I mean. Good Luck !! We can all do it together !!! :smile:
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for answering so fast ladies! You girls are great!:flowerforyou:

I have it set to this

;Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

I know once I started entering my calories,it was amazing how many calories everything was!:ohwell:

I'm really hoping that I can achieve my goal or even pass it a bit!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Calculating your BMR is very important. Its the amount of calories you burn at rest. You may not be eating enough depending on your type of workout and your weight/age/height...
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for answering so fast ladies! You girls are great!:flowerforyou:

I have it set to this

;Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

I know once I started entering my calories,it was amazing how many calories everything was!:ohwell:

I'm really hoping that I can achieve my goal or even pass it a bit!

This is like learning anything else...like how to walk or ride a bike. It is going to take time to learn what to eat. Be easy on yourself. You will make mistakes, just learn by them. As you log in all your food and see where you need to improve you will learn to make changes. Best of luck on your journey.