Weight loss motivation

Options
hey guys, I need help with stopping myself from eating junk.
It sucks because I eat well, then night time comes and I scoff down all the food
Help?

Replies

• tdecel
    tdecel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you want to stop eating junk, the STOP eating junk. Simple.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    If possible don't keep the junk in the house- that is what helps me. That and I now work in a new office and I don't have access to the basket of mini candy bars I did before. I used to tell myself that one or two didn't really matter- but doing that 3-4 times per day did make a big difference. I also used to work in an elementary and 3-4 times per week a couple of students would make their rounds to the office with a plate of cupcakes because they were leftover from someone's birthday party and I found it hard to say no to that. Now at a jr/sr high school there is none of that. Just not being around it has helped.
  • cazvenger
    cazvenger Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    tdecel wrote: »

That's completely unhelpful, it's not just that easy for everyone.

I've always had issues with this, OP. No matter how many times I just "decided" I was going to stop eating junk, it just never stuck. It's a combination of motivation and logistics, I think. You don't necessarily have to cut out all junk immediately, just cut back and start to work around it.

I'm by no means an expert (still pretty new at this myself), but here are a few things that have helped me-
    • Buy less junk. I've started limiting myself to one junk item per trip to the grocery store (this time it was mint chocolate chip Klondike bars, amazing decision), and that alone has really helped. If I find myself desperate for junk food late at night, I don't have the options to binge on and go for a piece of fruit or string cheese instead.
    • Track everything. I know everyone says it, but really it helps me see my progress and just how many calories everything is. Even though I'm sure no one looks at my diary, I'm super embarrassed when I have to log that I ate a whole bag of chips or something similarly bad. On the other hand, I feel way better when I know that I have 300 calories left in the day and I can have a Klondike bar guilt free.
    • Let your progress be your motivation. Focus on how well you're doing and keeping on the right track. If you eat 500 calories of junk food over your daily allowance, that's either more exercise you'll either have to do to work it off or less progress the next time you weigh/measure.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    cazvenger wrote: »
    tdecel wrote: »

That's completely unhelpful, it's not just that easy for everyone.

I've always had issues with this, OP. No matter how many times I just "decided" I was going to stop eating junk, it just never stuck. It's a combination of motivation and logistics, I think. You don't necessarily have to cut out all junk immediately, just cut back and start to work around it.

I'm by no means an expert (still pretty new at this myself), but here are a few things that have helped me-
    • Buy less junk. I've started limiting myself to one junk item per trip to the grocery store (this time it was mint chocolate chip Klondike bars, amazing decision), and that alone has really helped. If I find myself desperate for junk food late at night, I don't have the options to binge on and go for a piece of fruit or string cheese instead.
    • Track everything. I know everyone says it, but really it helps me see my progress and just how many calories everything is. Even though I'm sure no one looks at my diary, I'm super embarrassed when I have to log that I ate a whole bag of chips or something similarly bad. On the other hand, I feel way better when I know that I have 300 calories left in the day and I can have a Klondike bar guilt free.
    • Let your progress be your motivation. Focus on how well you're doing and keeping on the right track. If you eat 500 calories of junk food over your daily allowance, that's either more exercise you'll either have to do to work it off or less progress the next time you weigh/measure.

There's a difference between simple and easy. You guys are both right.

I don't buy junk food - if it's not near me I can't eat it. (Also, $$$!) During times where I have it around me (friend's house, workplace, etc.) I try to pre-log it and either I find way to fit it into my daily calories or I resist. If I'm really craving it, substituting something else helps - a fruit bar, yogurt with cinnamon, etc. I find that working out and eating food that makes my body feel good helps curb my craving for junk food.

An sometimes you'll mess up. Look at why you messed up, figure out what to do differently next time, and move on.