What are you taking in your lunch box??

Options
lisamac62
lisamac62 Posts: 305 Member
Hi,
I'm up for some new ideas on lunch for work. I bring a salad everyday and I'm getting a little tired of them. I have access to a refrigerator, microwave and toaster oven at work. I don't buy the packaged frozen meals because my Dr. has me on a salt restricted diet and I usually give the leftovers to my husband for his lunches.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and have a great day
Lisa

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Lunch:
    Thin bagel
    Veggie burger patty (store-bought)
    Slice of cheese
    Serving of pretzels/chips/something like that

That rounds out to about 400 calories.

Snacks:
    Cottage cheese
    Baby carrots with low cal dressing
    Low cal cheese wedges
    Low fat crackers

(Obviously several things I listed are higher in sodium so they may not be good choices)
  • daynes23
    daynes23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Today I packed:
    -a 80cal strawberry banana yogurt
    -handful of grapes and blueberries
    -a shiny apple
    -100 cal pack of cocoa roasted almonds
    -cookie dough luna bar
    -arnold sandwich thin, one slice of thin sargento cheddar, 1/4 avocado, splash of thousand island dressing, and a grilled chicken breast
    -roasted asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower (roased with a splash of evoo and salt/pepper)

I haven't eaten all of this yet, just the yogurt, sandwich, veggies (had to pick out the asparagus as it was gritty! :'( ), and the grapes (blueberries started to shrivel :'(). The specific weights/amounts are all in my diary.

I teach so I know I have to fill myself up in between classes or else even the kids in the back row will hear my grumbling tumbly.

I love sandwiches so I'm trying some new things out (I end up at subway way too often). Trying to "grow up" and experiment with things that aren't peanut butter and wheat bread.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    2ibnpc5.jpg

Chicken and veggies. I make a large batch of food at the beginning of the week and have food ready all week for work. I also have a cucumber and tomato salad.

There's also another thread here where people share what they are eating... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823358/what-do-your-meals-look-like-show-me-pictures
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Had chili con carne.

Maybe make more food and take leftovers yourself as well. I love leftovers.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    My typical lunch is either chicken salad (as opposed to a salad with chicken on top), tuna salad, or leftovers.

Feel free to check out my diary, I pack my lunch Monday-Friday every week (except when I'm traveling for work).
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This week I'm having buffalo chicken cobb salad :) They are soo good and ~355 calories

Romaine lettuce, chopped
    1/2 cup baked shredded chicken tossed with 1 tbs. franks red hot
    1 hard boiled egg, sliced
    a few thin slices of red onion
    1/2 cup diced roma tomato
    2 tbs. bleu cheese
    2 tbs. light ranch

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Most days I bring whatever is leftover from last's night dinner.

Today, that happens to be a salad topped with leftover grilled salmon because there weren't any leftover sides.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I eat about the same food each day at work Monday through Friday for lunch. My diary is open.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    lisamac62 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm up for some new ideas on lunch for work. I bring a salad everyday and I'm getting a little tired of them. I have access to a refrigerator, microwave and toaster oven at work. I don't buy the packaged frozen meals because my Dr. has me on a salt restricted diet and I usually give the leftovers to my husband for his lunches.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks and have a great day
    Lisa

Big bag of simply smart lemon and herb chicken from Purdue - 270 calories
    greek yogurt - 80 calories
    oatmeal cookie - 170

520 all together
    P 70
    C 34
    F 13
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I try to bring lunch with me every day. LEFTOVERS are your friend!!
    I always keep salad fixins in the fridge at work just in case I need something extra but here are some ideas:

sauteed veggies with chicken/sausage
    sandwich fixins (you can leave off the bread and use wraps or lettuce)
    pot roast with potatoes, onions, celery and carrots
    black bean soup
    crock pot bbq chicken with steamed broccoli
    pork tenderloin on top of rice or quinoa (make a big batch and use it for everything during the week)
    cereal and milk
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Make your own frozen packaged meals!! I've constantly got a stock of frozen homemade soups in my freezer; that way I don't stress when there's no leftovers. Today's Soup:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/tortilla_soup.html
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I like a variety of different things for lunches. On any given day I'm eating soup, salad, leftovers, bean burgers, turkey burgers, burritos, casseroles, breakfast foods, you get the idea.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The next three days will be leftover spaghetti from tonight's dinner and some fresh pineapple.

Today was leftover Suddenly Salad great grains salad from yesterday's lunch and fresh pineapple. And I bought a giant cookie at the coffee shop. I am still recovering from a very active weekend and had plenty of calories available.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The next three days will be leftover spaghetti from tonight's dinner and some fresh pineapple.

Today was leftover Suddenly Salad great grains salad from yesterday's lunch and fresh pineapple. And I bought a giant cookie at the coffee shop. I am still recovering from a very active weekend and had plenty of calories available.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Today for lunch I have:
    4 x Jacobs multi-grain crispbread topped with
    50 g jalapeno hummus and 2 x salad tomatoes

100 g mixed grapes

It takes me a while to eat because I put it together at work and is surprisingly filling.

I do also have snacks of a weight watchers layered fruit fromage frais and 2 Nature Valley oats and honey granola bars.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My packed lunch usually consists of healthy sandwiches with lots of veggies and protein, lowfat yogurt, pretzels, fruit, veggies and low cal dip or salads. I'm a huge fan of mason jar salads. Sometimes, if I'm in a time crunch (or need to grocery shop), I will pack a Lean Cuisine for the main part of my meal.
  • NextRightThing2015
    NextRightThing2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Low-fat deli meat and low-fat cheese slice wrapped in lettuce or Flat Out carb wraps
    Fresh fruit and non-starchy vegetables
    Frozen mixed vegetables or edamame (steamable in microwave)
    Previously cooked turkey or chicken burgers (93% lean)
    Fresh salad (I use a variety of lettuces, spinach and kale to mix things up) with chicken breast, tuna or beans on top
    Greek yogurt with fresh fruit
    Leftovers
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I bring snacks and breakfast in mine so today I had-
    Breakfast - blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, kiwi, and mango fruit bowl
    Snacks - String cheese, jell-o temptations lemon merainge pie
    Lunch - Roast beef sandwich with thin provalone cheese on village hearth light bread (80 cals for 2 slices) and garlic herb pita wheat thins with Tribe Medeterranian style hummus
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My lunch today is some deli ham, a couple of hard boiled eggs, string cheese and a dill pickle. Sad desk lunch is sad.
  • coolfry
    coolfry Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For breakfast i had cottage cheese with canned fruit. For lunch I have salad with boiled eggs and oil based dressing with a low sodium taco beef in a high fiber tortilla. Snacks are a plout, a bell pepper, and smoked Gouda.