Do you prefer to be anonymous here?

Options
jaga13
jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
I recently read a post in this community and realized I know the person in real, actual life. Which made me wonder....how do you all feel about mixing MFP with the rest of your community? Are you "friends" here with people you actually know? Or do you prefer some level of anonymity?

Replies

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I'm friends with family and friends on here but I don't know if any of them read the forums. Either way doesn't bother me, my handle gives me away to anyone who knows me or my family anyhow :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Well, my face is in my avi so I can't really claim to want anonymity. I started out being more concerned and actually changed my username because of it but then kind of said forget it.

One of the people on my friends list is somebody who sent me a FR after seeing my before/after face pic on a thread in the Success forum. When I looked at her profile I realized I knew her from a previous job. I sent her a message and she hadn't realized that she knew me IRL because neither my before or after picture were similar to what I looked like when we worked together (different hair and weight.)

I have several other people on my FL who I know IRL but I am not sure if any of them are active on the forums.
  • jaga13
    Options
    Interesting feedback, thank you!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Nah. I don't post anything here I wouldn't want people IRL to see and I've posted the occasional photo with my face in it, so the jig is pretty much up.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me if people know me on here. Shrug. They all know I'm losing weight so it's a moot point for me. If I was on a dodgy forum... I'd perhaps be more cautious :lol:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If someone I knew read my posts, they'd know it was me. I wouldn't especially care.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Yes, even tho my face is on my avi.

Do you know me?
  • jaga13
    Options
    I think in the past I've heard people who CONSTANTLY talked about weight loss and healthy eating, and it was a real turnoff, so it makes me want to limit this conversation in my real life (unless asked). But maybe that will change.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Anonymity isn't something that has ever really been a concern for me. If someone I know IRL happens upon my profile, or stuff that I post, so be it. I'm as close to the exact same here as I am in the real world, so nothing should surprise anyone. If it did, and they mentioned it, I'd tell them to stuff it into the closest nether region in relative proximity to their dominant hand.
  • jaga13
    Options
    Yes, even tho my face is on my avi.

Do you know me?

lol, I don't know you! oddly enough, the person I noticed here doesn't even have a picture of themself, but information in the profile gives it away. And that person has NOTHING to be embarrassed about. I was just wondering if they would feel weird if they realized that I know. Trying to put myself in that person's shoes. I don't plan on saying anything.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Not so much on here. I do try to keep places like Twitter a bit more anonymous in case RL people find me on there (easy, as my Twitter and Instagram have the same name and coworkers/family follow me on the latter). But I've had long-time internet friends of my mom and me friend me on here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I have a couple friends and family members that use MFP...I don't care if they know I use MFP...not sure why I would care?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I prefer to be anonymous because I don't really want to make a big public deal out of losing weight. I'd rather keep this seperate from my real life friends or family.
    I haven't been that devious about it. I just haven't told anyone I use MFP. I use a different username than I do most places. I don't post pictures. Someone might be able to figure out that they know me though.
    I found my cousin on another site and that was a bit weird. I don't know how long she had been a member because she didn't post much. I didn't feel as comfortable there after that.
  • trying4real
    trying4real Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have ranted a couple times on here about my co-worker and her pushing advocare on everyone everyday that I maybe would not want her to see to keep peace at work lol other then that it does not matter
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Most of my FL are my family and friends, but most of them don't use the site any more. (All in red for last days logged) I have a couple of people who I "met" here.
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I prefer to be anonymous to some extent. I keep my weight loss out of general everyday conversation - there are a couple of people i know who can really lash out at people slimmer than them trying to lose weight, but unwilling to do anything about their own and I find it easier to keep it separate. But when someone mentions I look slimmer and asks how I'm doing it, I will happily tell them I use mfp and if they wanted to sign up I'd be happy to add them.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm sure if someone found me because my face is in my profile pic, then that would be okay. However, if a co-worker or someone outside of my support system sent a FR, I'd probably decline it. MFP is the only place I can be 100% open about everything. My "inner circle" knows about my issues, goals, struggles, etc., but not everyone knows everything. That's how I want to keep it.

I can say anything to my MFP friends and not worry about any of them judging me or treating me like I'm made of glass.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it's connected to my FB...people know I am here...odds the dif to me. also note my profile pic is me and my husband.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Guess why I use a sheep as avatar :) I'm sure though there are people I know on here.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with who I know irl, and everything to do with the complete strangers who may or may not be mentally stable. I have dealt with a cyberstalking incident before, severe enough that law enforcement was involved, and it started with someone who wasn't taking meds they should've been taking. IMO the safety of myself and my family > showing my face.