Portion control and estimation

Options
kaassiia
kaassiia Posts: 51 Member
I recently purchased a digital scale and had a bit of an eye opener this morning.
I thought I would switch up my lunch from the usual salad with a protein and have Special K with almond milk.

I poured it into my bowl like I normally would and then something told me to measure on grams how much I was getting ready to consume for lunch.

76g. That's right, 76 grams of cereal. Annddddd.... 31g is one serving size. So basically I was consuming 2.5 serving sizes. Here I was thinking I was going to do something good for myself and eat something light calorie.

Portion control and correct serving sizes are SO important in our journeys!

I used to "snack" on this cereal late at night. That's basically an extra 300 calories I was blind to.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Amazing, isn't it?

Everything adds up.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The serving sizes are crazy small on cereal packages just so they can say XXX calories per serving. I always eat several 'servings'. I don't kid myself about how many calories it is, though.
  • JessicasGold
    JessicasGold Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is such an eye-opener!!!!
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Portions are EVERYTHING!!! Without it, you can't accurately calculate your numbers. I think most people think they're eating less than they are and working out harder than they do...which results in them spinning their wheels and ultimately giving up. Way to learn early on!
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I thought I was doing good using measuring cups ~ nope! once I starting weighing EVERYTHING it was super eye opening!!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Yep. When I portion out a "serving" of chips I just laugh (and sometimes cry). More times than not, if I don't have a whole bunch of calories to spare, I don't even bother with just a serving.... about 7 chips - lol

Makes me wonder how I wasn't as big as a house cause I would easily polish of half a bag or more of chips or candy or other high calorie foods in front of the TV almost every evening.