Cooking Healthy Food

Options
aml7128
aml7128 Posts: 2 Member
Trying to eat healthier at home, but my husband and I have no idea how to cook healthy. Sounds sad, and cooking healthy sure sounds like it would be easy, but what kind of foods are the best for home-cooking and whatnot? I need some guidance here! Thanks!
-Alisha

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find what you are looking for on cookinglight.com
  • aml7128
    aml7128 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you! Guess I coulda just googled! Haha.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com is another good site. Most of my recipes come from there. They are easy to modify depending on what you have in stock.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Check out 101cookbooks too.

Also, although I know it's kind of retro, consider checking out some good basic cookbooks. I like Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything as a good starter resource, his Fish for, well, cooking fish, and Greene on Greens and Barbara Kafka's Vegetable Love as nice books about cooking veggies.

I don't cook special diet recipes at all (although I do enjoy Cooking Light from time to time and find it has good ideas). I just think in terms of creating a meal based around a protein (often a leaner protein, like fish, chicken/turkey, leaner beef, lamb, or pork cuts, but not always), lots of vegetables (I usually try to have multiple kinds, or at least a veggie and a salad), and then usually a starchy vegetable/grain, fruit, or dairy to round out the meal, but I am quite careful about my serving sizes, especially of the starches.

(This template fits something like a pasta too--the pasta is the starch, and I'll make a sauce by combining veggies and protein and then maybe add a little cheese.)
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If following a recipe seems intimidating, sometimes the more simple the meal, the better!

During the summer, my husband and I grill out a ton. He'll put some chicken breasts in an Italian dressing marinade and grill them, and we'll serve it with corn on the cob or a big salad with a whole grain roll as a side.

Also good is a turkey burger served on lettuce with some homemade bruschetta (diced tomatoes, red onion, basil, a little bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar) and melted mozzarella on top.

Pork chops in a little bit of olive oil, dried (or fresh!) rosemary, and salt and pepper grilled with a sweet potato and side salad is another easy meal.

Good luck!!
  • gurlofgod
    gurlofgod Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I grill TONS of chicken and then cut it up and freeze it. Then I thaw and put it on salads, or mix with veggies and some kind of sauce (marinara, alfredo, teriyaki....) something like that. I try to base my meals around the protein and veggies instead of around the carb (pasta, rice, etc.) Though I wouldn't say I'm "low carb", the truth it you can get a lot more full on protein and veggies. So I usually add my carbs in the form of fruit or starchy veggies.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Tons of recipes/cooking tutorials online. Just do a healthy cooking search. Good luck!
  • ercaface
    ercaface Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try www.eatingwell.com too! Cooking is simple. Don't get stressed to overcomplicate things. Just follow the steps in a recipe and find out what works for you!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Cooking at home is almost automatically healthier, unless you plan on deep frying everything. Try roasting a chicken with baked potatoes on the side. Start with bag salad if that is easier. Simple recipes, great eating.