Calorie requirements for a thin person vs someone who lost weight to become thin.

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a study on this done with identical twins? That way genetics will at least be consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    There are some interesting studies on twins and weight matters. Really, twins studies can't show something is genetic, just that it isn't. Most twins, even those separated at birth and adopted out, share remarkably similar environments.
    Caletara wrote: »
    I think this is the study showing how certain bacteria in overweight individuals extract more caloric value from food than others in thin people. But without the full text I'm not sure. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16033867

And again...mice.

Edit: nope. it's this one. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17183312
    Sometimes I'm worried that people are putting way too much into these gut microbiome studies. The conclusions people tend to write are overly simplistic in comparison to what is actually going on in these.
    That last link looks interesting, but that abstract is more like a press blurb than anything that can be analysed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's not just women. Formerly obese people burn fewer calories than otherwise physically similar people who were never obese. Apparently, the effect lasts for years, perhaps forever.

I believe there is some evidence that more relatively strenuous exercise can offset this, since it seems to be caused by more efficient low level/effort muscle use. I may be misstating that bit, though.

What I've read is that it relates to leptin. Basically, when you lose fat leptin levels go down and the body's response to that is to become more efficient to try to regain fat to where it seems to think it should be (obviously stated in lay terms). I think--but am not certain--this is basically also what metabolic adaptation is.

If you regain the fat, the leptin levels go back up, so it's not a situation of consistently lowering leptin (and maintenance) levels more and more if you lose weight multiple times or having a lower maintenance even if you get fat again, as is sometimes claimed (that would have to relate to reduced muscle mass).

Apparently exercise increases leptin sensitivity, so you can deal with lowered leptin by including exercise in your lifestyle. I wonder if this is why the lowered metabolism often isn't observed among maintainers at MFP (who tend to exercise).

I so far don't see any significant difference between my metabolic rate and where the calculators say I should be (and I lost roughly consistent with the same calculators, so they seem to be accurate for me), and I also do exercise a good amount.

I will try to track down a source for what I recall reading here.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
  • meezed
    meezed Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've read many different reasons for this and convinced that for me, my metabolism has gotten so out of whack from dieting over 20 years that I will never conform to what 'normal' people eat.

I've lost various amounts over that time, the most being 120lb at one point. Some of us are just going to realize micromanaging our food and energy for the rest of our lives. It sucks, but so be it.

Actually if I had to pick a physical reason why this phenomenon occurs, I read somewhere that when fat is lost, the cells aren't destroyed but just shrink. When you regain weight, all those cells just need to simply grow again along with whatever new ones you've created, which is why such large regains can happen so fast.

I wish I had the link to that study, sorry I don't.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's not just women. Formerly obese people burn fewer calories than otherwise physically similar people who were never obese. Apparently, the effect lasts for years, perhaps forever.

I believe there is some evidence that more relatively strenuous exercise can offset this, since it seems to be caused by more efficient low level/effort muscle use. I may be misstating that bit, though.

What I've read is that it relates to leptin. Basically, when you lose fat leptin levels go down and the body's response to that is to become more efficient to try to regain fat to where it seems to think it should be (obviously stated in lay terms). I think--but am not certain--this is basically also what metabolic adaptation is.

If you regain the fat, the leptin levels go back up, so it's not a situation of consistently lowering leptin (and maintenance) levels more and more if you lose weight multiple times or having a lower maintenance even if you get fat again, as is sometimes claimed (that would have to relate to reduced muscle mass).

Apparently exercise increases leptin sensitivity, so you can deal with lowered leptin by including exercise in your lifestyle. I wonder if this is why the lowered metabolism often isn't observed among maintainers at MFP (who tend to exercise).

I so far don't see any significant difference between my metabolic rate and where the calculators say I should be (and I lost roughly consistent with the same calculators, so they seem to be accurate for me), and I also do exercise a good amount.

For me, at this point, the issue is uncertainty in burns above BMR/RMR, whether purposeful exercise or just living life. I'm losing more than my calorie deficit would suggest, which is good. Now, am I losing what I "should" with a "normal" metabolic rate? Am I losing less than I "should" because my metabolism is slower and I'm ascribing the difference to overstated exercise burns?

I guess, realistically, it doesn't affect what I need to do, but it does seem like my TDEE is lower than I was hoping.

ETA: My UP24 calculates my TDEE at a little over 3300, consistently. The TDEE from my spreadsheet uses my intake and my weight and it varies pretty substantially from week to week, but averages a shade under 3000.

• senecarr
    edited June 2015
    Options
    meezed wrote: »
    Actually if I had to pick a physical reason why this phenomenon occurs, I read somewhere that when fat is lost, the cells aren't destroyed but just shrink. When you regain weight, all those cells just need to simply grow again along with whatever new ones you've created, which is why such large regains can happen so fast.

I wish I had the link to that study, sorry I don't.

This was originally a hypothesis that has proven false.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/health/research/05fat.html?_r=0
    Fat cells die and are completely replaced about every ten years.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,542 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Please do!

I only lost about 17kg, but my maintenance calories are currently nearly 400kcal higher than what calculators say they should. I do train strength though.

With regards to leptin: I know it's only anecdotal but for me I can say that my appetite goes down after any kind of workout: a brisk walk, running, weight training, bodyweight circuits, swimming, a long relaxed cycle ride.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    We recently hashed this out in another thread. There are a couple of problems with a lot of the research on this topic relating to the methods of weight loss in the subjects.

The science of it got over my head, but if I followed things correctly enough, exercise and protein consumption while losing weight slowly mitigated the differential to a very large extent.

Paging @EvgeniZyntx

@senecarr, weren't you there too? Or am I remembering incorrectly?
    Yeah, the guy with the picture in armor posted a study that showed that ONLY for low grade exercise (pedaling at 25 watts or less), there was a difference in calories used between a an overweight person of 15% between when they were overweight, and after they lost.
    However, the same study found that a thin person gaining weight also had their energy use GO up when they were made to gain weight, if I recall correctly.
    They also found that subjects that had almost ANY level of resistance training activity didn't have these effects.

So the advice to lose weight at a sensible rate, do resistance training, and eat adequate protein will counter these effects to a very significant extent...

AND EVERYONE IN THE THREAD IS IGNORING THIS.

Because some studies designed around people who lost weight on 800 calorie diets or diets with extremely low protein intakes showed the effect.

I want to cry sometimes.
    I lost my weight over the course of several years. The last 70 or over a period of 6 months while lifting. Why do I exhibit the effect then?

I can't even with you. People have been round and round with you on your issues before. You won't take sound advice.

• senecarr
    Options
    We recently hashed this out in another thread. There are a couple of problems with a lot of the research on this topic relating to the methods of weight loss in the subjects.

The science of it got over my head, but if I followed things correctly enough, exercise and protein consumption while losing weight slowly mitigated the differential to a very large extent.

Paging @EvgeniZyntx

Yeah, the guy with the picture in armor posted a study that showed that ONLY for low grade exercise (pedaling at 25 watts or less), there was a difference in calories used between a an overweight person of 15% between when they were overweight, and after they lost.
    However, the same study found that a thin person gaining weight also had their energy use GO up when they were made to gain weight, if I recall correctly.
    They also found that subjects that had almost ANY level of resistance training activity didn't have these effects.

So the advice to lose weight at a sensible rate, do resistance training, and eat adequate protein will counter these effects to a very significant extent...

Because some studies designed around people who lost weight on 800 calorie diets or diets with extremely low protein intakes showed the effect.

I want to cry sometimes.
    I lost my weight over the course of several years. The last 70 or over a period of 6 months while lifting. Why do I exhibit the effect then?

I can't even with you. People have been round and round with you on your issues before. You won't take sound advice.

This the guy that won't see a doctor about possible hormone imbalance?
  • PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options

Paging @EvgeniZyntx

I want to cry sometimes.

This the guy that won't see a doctor about possible hormone imbalance?

The last big go around with him that really hashed out everything was while I was still lurking. There's a lot that he's not willing to do. Most of the people who know anything don't even bother anymore.

I have a terrible habit of not remembering details sometimes, and just remembering the bottom line.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Paging @EvgeniZyntx

I want to cry sometimes.

Thanks you.

Potential outliers excepted for the sake of politeness, this was my thought too. In these studies, as far as I can tell, VLCDs and rapid weight loss are employed. This makes sense from a clinical perspective -- you don't have to follow the participants for as long and weight loss is guaranteed. But it makes generalizing the results much more difficult.

From what I can tell I maintain above the nominal calorie level for a man my age and weight. I lost my initial weight pretty rapidly -- 50 lbs over about 6 months - and have been maintaining/slightly gaining and losing for the last 3 years or so.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    eclenden01 wrote: »
    You're underestimating the role of genetics. This study found that obese people burn 60 percent less calories than non obese people in response to exercise after taking into consideration body composition, just as an example. I think I remember seeing that some people burn 3 times as much per pound of resting lean muscle than others.

http://rnd.edpsciences.org/articles/rnd/abs/2005/02/r5205/r5205.html

That's not what the study says.

It says that obese burn less exercise-ish calories because they're much less active.

Making X pounds run Y miles is going to take about the same amount of energy, regardless of body composition, and regardless of whether someone got to their current weight through dieting or were always at that weight.

On the other side, an obese out of shape individual is going to burn a LOT less than a fit person doing something like 30DS.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have not tracked down anything conclusive on the leptin/metabolism thing. Thinking about it, I think I got it from an interview with Lyle McDonald, and here he is on the topic (among other things) with some links: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-hormones-of-bodyweight-regulation-leptin-part-3.html/ and http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-hormones-of-bodyweight-regulation-leptin-part-4.html/.

Precision Nutrition has a little piece on it where they say that the hypothesis about effect on metabolism is so far uncertain (but which is quite interesting overall): http://www.precisionnutrition.com/leptin-ghrelin-weight-loss.

Some studies/reviews (some in full, some I couldn't get but someone else may be able to access) on the topic that look interesting:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2006.00270.x/full

ftp://trf.education.gouv.fr/pub/edutel/siac/siac2/jury/2005/agreg_ext/bio5.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19176740

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12614978

I also found some articles discussing the leptin/metabolism effect I mentioned as a fact, in publications like Slate, but they did not cite sources and were from the POV that weight loss is largely impossible to maintain, etc. (Which IMO is not the correct take away even if it is true. Instead I'd say that exercise is more important than often portrayed, contra the latest from Lustig et al., if one is able to do it.)
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any validity to this premise across the board, but I guess it could arise in different situations.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting article on this subject...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?_r=0

Whether I agree with all of it not it certainly gives you something to think about.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    jak1958 wrote: »
    eclenden01 wrote: »
    It is based on a study that found that weight loss stimulates changes in hormones regulating hunger and metabolism, and that these changes are still seen at least a year later. Your body is constantly bringing you back to a set point, and scientists are unsure when or if your set point can be adjusted downwards.

HBO had a 4 part documentary called The Weight of the Nation where this is discussed. You should be able to find the video on youtube.

Yes, that documentary was where I first learned about this. It was well worth the time to watch this series.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Whether I agree with all of it not it certainly gives you something to think about.

Thanks for posting this. This might as well be my biography LOL. It at least makes me feel better I'm not the only one. It's something people who've only lost small amounts of weight will never really understand.
    Do you consider 112 pounds a small amount of weight to lose?

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Thanks for posting this. This might as well be my biography LOL. It at least makes me feel better I'm not the only one. It's something people who've only lost small amounts of weight will never really understand.
    Do you consider 112 pounds a small amount of weight to lose?

Trust me. Save yourself the pain.