hand cycle - Calories burned vigorus 5 mile?

Options
I am switching over to my Hand cycle for the summer from lap swimming (as long as it's not raining). Any idea on how to figure calories on that? It's all upper shoulder/arm rotation. Mostly flat 12-16 mph.

I'm guessing 500 calories for 5 miles, but I am twice as tired compared to swimming so it's probably off.

any ideas?

DG

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    At 12 mph, multiply body weight in kg by 7 and that will give you gross cal per hour. Multiply that by the hour fraction it takes to pedal 5 miles. It's going to be substantially less than 500 calories.

Here is a study that measured the metabolic response to a handcycle and a row cycle. There's a lot of raw data, but at least you'll know I didn't make it up.

http://www.rehab.research.va.gov/jour/95/32/2/pdf/maki.pdf
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    people dont get 500 cal for running 5 miles. you'll be lucky to half that for hand cycling
  • dg98adam
    dg98adam Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I actually had a "rowcycle" years ago that was pictured in that article (too heavy and can't climb hills). My latest hand cycle is more like a low recumbent (3 wheels) that is arm cranked (16 speed)... Most of my rides should be in the 8 mile+ range.....