Confused by projected weight loss

Options
MFP allocates me 1200 calories a day which I have been strictly sticking to (sometimes slightly under) and after I complete my daily entry it says I will approximately weigh 12st 10 in 5 weeks. Yesterday I gave in and had chocolate cake which took my calories up to 1500. When I completed the entry it said I would weigh 12st 2 in 5 weeks - confused!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Easiest just to ignore that.

It's meant, I suppose, to be a motivator but I think people's days are insufficiently uniform for it to have much meaning.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Clearly, you need to eat more chocolate cake.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Your profile is not open for public viewing, so a general MFP user would not be able to give you an accurate response. Did you log exercise for the day so your net Calories are lower? Have you recorded a different weight in Check-in or Progress since the last time you completed your diary?
    I would suggest that you open a Case with Customer Support on the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Clearly, you need to eat more chocolate cake.

This :smiley:
  • MrDisk
    MrDisk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that if you complete your diary on mobile it occasionally gives a lower number than on the webpage even when the content of calories consumed remains the same. I have no idea why though.
  • RachelGalashan
    RachelGalashan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ha yes maybe chocolate cake is the answer, however I have a feeling that less calories means more weight loss regardless of the app prediction!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    The "end of day" response that MFP gives is a very simple calculation. It takes the deficit or surplus of your current day's log (based on what your setup says your NEAT calorie requirements are), and projects that across the next five weeks. So if you had a deficit of 500 calories, it would estimate a 5 lb loss over that time. (500 * 7 * 5)/3500.

That's why it says "If every day was like today..."

It's not the most useful of calculations, since one day's activity is not what gives you results over time.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I don't ever complete my day so I don't have to be badgered about how much weight I will or will not lose in 5 weeke.