Pulled pork vs. beef brisket?

Options
lobita44
lobita44 Posts: 66 Member
My work is having a catered lunch, and those are my meat choices. Any idea which is better for me? Also, there will be baked beans, potato salad and cole slaw. I know I won't touch the potato salad, but what about the other two? Any help is appreciated!!

Replies

• mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    you should compare the meats by entering them into the food sections and seeing how much fat and calories each one has. I would have a half cup of the beans and maybe a quarter cup of the cole slaw....
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It just depends on how it's cooked. I made pulled pork the other day and for a 4oz (raw) it was 230 calories/ 240mg sodium. I forgot what the fat was.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I want to go!... beef brisket is better if its a lean cut at around 175 calories per serving, pulled pork runs about 310 per serving, the baked beans are the better of all three sides as they offer some protein but baked beans contain molasses and brown sugar, cole slaw also is made with white granulated sugar.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Is this from Famous Daves?

I would eat the brisket, about the size of a deck of cards. I'm not sure about the beans and slaw. It all depends, are the beans made with bacon fat, honey, brown sugar? Is the slaw loaded with mayo?

In general, I tend to choose slaw over other types of sides, but you can never be too sure.

The beans will have fiber and protein, so not a bad choice even if they are made with bacon.

Probably half a cup of each.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I choose the brisket most every time. Generally the pulled pork has a sugary BBQ sauce added - most smoked, chopped brisket is just the meat flavored with a dry seasoning rub.

Both will be salty. Not many ways around that.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a small serving of beans, but leave the potato salad and cole slaw alone. They are both LOADED with calories. Might want to bring some raw veggies to round out your lunch!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    the pork will be fattier because it is pulled and the fat gets mixed in with the meat. the beef is probably sliced so it will be leaner and you can cut the top layer of fat off. if the beef is pulled or chopped as well, then it is more of a crap shoot and I would just pick what you like best and enjoy it. the ps and slaw will be filled with mayo, so the beans are probably safer even if they have a bunch of sugar or corn syrup.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    find the leaner cuts of brisket and go for 1/2 cup of beans no coleslaw or potato salad.
  • Rklane
    Rklane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I went to City Barbeque a couple weeks back and they said their brisket has less calories and fat than the pulled pork. Go for brisket and baked beans.
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Pulled pork and Brisket are typically meats prepared in a smoker. the process is to have a layer of fat on the meat on the top so the slow cooking process melts the fat and infuses the meat. Sounds gross when you look at it that way but it is very tasty and keeps the meat tender and juicy well beyond the internal temperature you might expect.

The beef brisket is done the same way but after smoking the top layer with the fat is trimmed away and the brisket is sliced. Both meats use the same principle of slow cooking at low temperatures to tenderize the usually tough cuts of meat.

Sauce is another matter. The meats by themselves are bursting with flavor and can be enjoyed without a heavy sweet bar-b-que sauce. If you can manage to get the meat served to you with the sauce on the side, you can control the extra calories and use the sauce gingerly or not at all.

By the way, if you order ribs, this is a good way to go as well or get them St Louis style which is a dry rub.

I hope I have not made everyone hungry now. Just remember to enjoy the foods you crave in moderation.
  • lobita44
    lobita44 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks you everyone for the wonderful advice! I think I'm going to try the brisket, sauce on the side, with baked beans. I might bring some carrot slices with me to round out my meal! BBQ, here I come!

(It's from Hog Wild Pit BBQ in Wichita, Kansas, BTW.)