Skipping

Options
wintersyve
wintersyve Posts: 29 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
hello all,
I've been a bit of a lurker on MFP but bit the bullet 2 weeks ago and am calorie counting. That side is going fine so far.
However I'm not really one for the gym or classes. But I do have a heavyweight skipping rope. Is skipping a good exercise to do 2-3 times a week? And how long would you suggest?
I do the running kind of skip, or the single fast jump. Not like how I used to at school but skipping at a faster rate would mean I can't skip for that long

Replies

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I would think anything that causes your body to move is a good thing. Exercise of any kind will aid you in creating a wider calorie deficit. And then there's the host of other reasons why exercise is a good thing.

Skipping sounds fine to me. And fun. I recently added jump rope to my regimen. I say go for it :)
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Skipping is a lot of fun, I tend to use it as a general warmup tool. I also show up at the gym at least once a week and do some rope work as a conditioning tool.

When I go all out with the rope, I can usually "sprint" for about 100 swings, rest and repeat several times. By the time I hit 1000 to 1200 swings I'm pretty much spent. Takes me about 20 minutes to get that far. If I go much beyond 20 minutes I notice it starts to interfere with recovery from my weight lifting sessions. You can probably push beyond 20 minutes to 30 / 40 minutes a session if the only thing your doing is skipping and you pace yourself.

Be sure to spend time working on technique and trying out different swings to keep it interesting. Try to reverse the direction of the rope every so often. Also try high knees, one legged skipping, jump forward and back, side to side (ski style), etc. If you really want to push hard try working on double-unders.

I'm working on slowly getting better. I use the video below as a eventual goal to strive for. :)

• csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Skipping = awesome workout!
  • wintersyve
    Options
    Thank you! I'll see how long I can last and build up time and techniques
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    All boxers skip. Why? Builds up cardio, stamina, rhythm. It works everything!! Best fitness investment you can make is a decent rope. Packs away into any small bag, costs peanuts, and burns as many calories as anything else!
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Honestly, skipping rope at a fast pace can be one of the best cardio workouts ever! Anything to keep your calorie burn up will work wonders girl!
  • wintersyve
    Options
    Yay!!! That is great news as I don't have much room for any equipment at home so my skipping rope is perfect! Just need to get over feeling the fat wobble ha ha!!
  • mmmoniqueee
    mmmoniqueee Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    hi, anything that gets your body moving is great! I know someone who started out skipping rope and she lost a lot of weight! it's a fantastic cardio exercise AND also works your leg muscles which is a big plus. The most important part of your journey will always be your diet. you can exercise all you want but if your diet isn't at least 80% healthy/clean then you can't really go anywhere. "you can't outexercise a bad diet" Exercise is not essential to weight loss and actually a lot of people lose weight just by fixing their diet, however, exercising definitely increases your weight loss. Have a good day!! :smile:
  • wintersyve
    Options
    Thanks yes, I started calorie counting 2 weeks ago. Started off at MFP suggested 1200 cals only to learn that was too low. So am now eating at a deficit of 20% of tdee.
    It's been ok and have lost 5lb in 2 weeks. Learning to try to make sensible decisions on my food, learning but I'll get there. Thanks to everyone for your time to reply
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Skipping is an excellent way to burn calories. I box two days a week and we always warm up with skipping. You can try speed skipping, skipping on one foot at a time. doubles, back and forth, side to side, and even try doing high knees which is tricky and takes practice, or just whatever is comfortable for you. Even after 10 minutes of skipping, you should start sweating already. great exercise.
  • wintersyve
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cool - might work my way up to the single leg thing less I find myself flat on my face!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    If you want, you can also buy a rope with weights in the handles :) And you could make "dance" routines.
  • wintersyve
    Options
    My husband bought me a rope that feels like it's made out of leather. I might work my way up to wrist weights