43rd day on Paleo, but gaining weight after losing?

Options
Hello.

I am on my 43rd day of Paleo. I absolutely love it and loved the first month with losing 24lbs, but the past week I noticed I am gaining weight slowly. It went from .2 to .4 then officially a 1.5 today.

I haven't changed my eating habits except my caloric intake when I had lost that 24lbs. I track my macros and make sure I hit my protein, carbs, etc that I need to and I work out 3-4x a week while doing weight training 3x a week.

I haven't been logging my foods on MFP, but do it in a notebook (i don't have my phone with me all of the time), but I did log my foods today so far (it's only 1pm) so if anyone wants to take a look.

Could the weight gain come from the weight training?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Due on
    Change in exercise
    Ovulating
    Sodium

Water weight
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Over how long of a time have you seen a 1.5Lb increase?
    Are you ovulating?
    Is it ToM time?
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    No, you're not gaining from "weight training".

Lots of people gain weight on paleo. Because so many of the foods are so calorie-rich, it's very easy to do. It sounds like you need to start logging, properly and consistently.

Either that, or find another way to eat less.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Although I never understood what paleo means tbh as long as you are aware of calorie intake against burn
  • MamaOfThree88
    MamaOfThree88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Are you ovulating?
    Is it ToM time?

It's been about a week.
    Yes, I might be. But even still, because I have adjusted things due to losing the first 20 lbs, shouldn't I still be losing gradually?
    and Yes, by golly I drink about 140oz at work alone!
  • MamaOfThree88
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Although I never understood what paleo means tbh as long as you are aware of calorie intake against burn

Paleo is more of a philosophical way of eating. Lean protein and veggies with some fruit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Are you ovulating?
    Is it ToM time?

It's been about a week.
    Yes, I might be. But even still, because I have adjusted things due to losing the first 20 lbs, shouldn't I still be losing gradually?
    and Yes, by golly I drink about 140oz at work alone!

When I was losing weight I'd consistently see a 2-4Lb increase when I ovulated (for a few days) and again with my period. So for ME around day 12-15 I was always 2-4Lbs "heavier". Then it would drop, I'd see a loss. Then just before my period, it would go UP 2-4Lbs again.
    Give it a few more days, check your calories, check your sodium...see what happens.

Fluctuations are normal, but keep an eye on things.
    If you've traveled, had booze, anything that can lead to "water weight". Even bread, if your paleo has been grain free and low carb, can lead to water weight.

Good luck
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Paleo is more of a philosophical way of eating. Lean protein and veggies with some fruit.

That's one conception. Another version has people dropping sticks of butter into coffee. :worried:

It doesn't really matter, it's just useful to be aware that "paleo" can mean a lot of different things, depending on who is using the term.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

That's one conception. Another version has people dropping sticks of butter into coffee. :worried:

It doesn't really matter, it's just useful to be aware that "paleo" can mean a lot of different things, depending on who is using the term.
    Like most approaches. cheers

ps:love the avatar
  • MamaOfThree88
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Yeah, I never understood why people enjoyed butter in their coffee. I have been caffeine free, for other reasons, since I started Paleo. But to each their own.

Paleo is a great way to see if you have any hidden allergies. My goal is to complete six months, then once I reach that goal, I will start implementing dairy back into my diet slowly to see if I have any adverse reactions. Having an autoimmune disease, it is recommended to be dairy free and gluten free, but I know it can be quite a challenge to avoid it 100%.

There are some things about Paleo I'm not quite sure about, which had me question the whole lifestyle to begin with. Such things I questioned were legumes. They are delicious, high in fiber and protein, but yet restricted in Paleo. On top of that, vegetarian paleo'ers consume legumes because it is a valuable source of protein, with the exception of eggs.

Let's just say I have done a lot of research and study before I began. I haven't felt this great physically in a very, very long time.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I really doubt you gained 1.5 lb in a week. I recently read an article about bloating and it said a good rule of thumb is if you see a weight gain of 1.5 or more very suddenly, it isn't actual fat gain. It's bloating/water weight/period related/etc. If you're sure about your calorie input and output, and have adjusted for the 20 lb loss, keep at it and weigh again in a few days.
  • greeneyed76
    greeneyed76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing Paleo per say, but a month ago I started a healthy diet of low carbs, no sugar, vegetables, seafood, and healthy fats. No dairy or gluten. I also do 45min of cardio 5x a week and just started using resistance bands for upper body toning. I track my calories daily and never go over and I drink tons of water. The first 3 weeks I lost 10 lbs. I was thrilled. Then TOM came and that entire week I did not lose anything, but I maintained. So I figured it would go back to normal after the water weight was gone. Well it has been 3 days since my TOM has been over, and I have not lost any weight, in fact I gained a pound. I am so discouraged! I'm doing all the same things I was before, eating properly and working out. I have not changed anything. I don't know why my weight loss halted :(