Commute Home Snack Ideas

Options
I've discovered that my diet takes a dive between 4pm and 6pm-- the culprit is an hour long commute home. When I leave work I don't feel all that hungry, then 30 minutes into my drive I am unbearably hungry and I end up stopping for something relatively unhealthy. What are some foods I could keep in my car OR snacks I can eat handily while driving so I make it to dinner time without putting a 600 calorie dip in my day?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Turn the music up as loud as you can stand it and drive with both hands on the wheel!!!!!!!!!!
  • wicklessgal
    wicklessgal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    How about 100 calorie packs?
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    clif bars (240 cal most tht i eat)
    fiber one bars
    raw almonds
    craisins (1/2 cup is like 200 i believe)
    have some extra water with you
    fruit

I'm sure i am forgetting a whole lot.

I always carry the aboveand i helps a lot.
  • msderes
    msderes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    quaker makes those really good mini rice cakes seasoned with sweet chili, they are spicy like tostitos but have only 130 calories for 18 mini cakes. but keep a bottle of water handy ;) . they also make tortilla chips that my teenage daughter loves, tasty and few calories.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    nuts! almonds, walnuts, peanuts, cashews.

rice cakes

apples
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry when I'm in my car. I have no idea why - but I can be full when I leave the house and within 10 mins of being in the car -- I need a snack.

Snack bags of almonds, nuts, dried fruit (but watch the sugar!). Also, protein bars are great.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    a few granola bars, a few single serve packs of raisins, craisins, nuts. You can throw a few in the glove box and grab one to take the edge off on the drive home. Protein bars are another idea.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a drive too to get home.
    I like to make myself a travel mug of tea (green tea or black,)
    I love munching on almonds or other variety of nuts.
    Granola bar.
    Apples.
  • marisol1216
    Options
    You can always buy the weight watcher snacks or granola bars and keep them in your car, most are about 80- 100 calories. It usually comes in handy for me or baby carrots.. I hope this helped, good luck..
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I always carry fruit, yogurt 0and mayube a cheesestick with me for my afternoon snack along with water in a cooler. It is a dasily routine.
  • farrahmichelle77
    Options
    I always stash apples in my purse because the high fiber content fills me up quickly and they are portable.

I also make peanut butter protein balls which are about 67 calories a piece. I will carry 3-4 with me for a 150-200 calories snack. The peanut butter really fills me up because of the fat and protein without making me too full to have a meal later. The oats also provide good fiber.

1 cup oats
    3-4 tablespoons PB
    1 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder
    vanilla to taste
    1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon

Mix all together with a bit of water so that it's very very sticky (you won't need much water at all--just a dab. Too much will make it too moist.)

Roll into small balls and freeze for a few hours. Take out and put in a container and store in refridgertor
  • lori8431
    lori8431 Posts: 68
    Options
    Keep a small cooler in car with cheese sticks, carrot sticks, fruit, water.
    I also bag up popcorn and there are some turkey jerky sticks that are low in calories and carbs. Good Luck
  • sittingduck180
    Options
    I always stash apples in my purse because the high fiber content fills me up quickly and they are portable.

I also make peanut butter protein balls which are about 67 calories a piece. I will carry 3-4 with me for a 150-200 calories snack. The peanut butter really fills me up because of the fat and protein without making me too full to have a meal later. The oats also provide good fiber.

1 cup oats
    3-4 tablespoons PB
    1 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder
    vanilla to taste
    1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon

Mix all together with a bit of water so that it's very very sticky (you won't need much water at all--just a dab. Too much will make it too moist.)

Roll into small balls and freeze for a few hours. Take out and put in a container and store in refridgertor

That sounds DELICIOUS! Thanks!