Help.

Hi peeps hope someone can help me I'm new to this dieting. Ok, first few weeks I lost 2lbs a week. Had my period and stayed the same. Two weeks later I haven't lost anything! I am not eating more calories than allowed but I drink about 5 coffees a day and I take two sugars! Now I'm declaring those calories so I wondered if I'm taking too much sugar! Even though I'm counting it. I'm not in denial I track everything I consume so it's the only thing I can think of. Is this possible? Thanks

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    If you're counting it, and it fits in your target, you're fine.

How are you tracking? Do you use a food scale, or are you measuring, or are you eyeballing?

Do you eat out a lot or eat food prepared by others a lot? (This is not "bad" it's just tougher to estimate, so if you do it a lot, it could explain not losing when your numbers say you should.)

Are you very careful which database entries you choose? (This is much trickier than you might initially think.)

Did you recently start working out or ramp up the intensity or frequency of your physical activity?

It's also pretty normal, by the way. Two weeks is not enough time to start worrying. (Think more like 4-5 weeks.) Sometimes we lose in fits and starts; nothing for awhile and then a big drop or a series of drops spaced closely together. Still, it's not a bad idea to do a rundown of your logging and consider any other changes that have happened recently. If you're willing to set your diary to public, there are plenty of helpful and experienced users who might be able to help spot any potential issues in your logs. (But probably you're doing just fine and you just need some patience!)
  • contact_shelby
    contact_shelby Posts: 8 Member
    Ok thanks totally baffled! Most things I scan but I'll try to put it public. My problem is I don't eat at correct times. I'll try put my thing on public and see what happens. It's not like I'm just needing to loose a little so I've stopped I am over weight!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Timing is irrelevant. Start using a food scale, it makes a difference.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Do you weigh everything every time? I see a lot of repeat weights.

Do you weigh and measure the coffee ingredients every time or just guess? (If you've ascertained that it is ballpark 40 cals per cup, you may be fine, but little overages on creamer or milk or sugar could add up.)

You should try weighing packaged foods too (like the sausages) and definitely fruit if you aren't (I see 200g of grapes, wasn't sure if that was lucky, rounded, or a guess.)

Do you remember sauces, oils for cooking, condiments, little candies from a bowl in an office, mints, bites to taste when cooking, that sort of thing?

But I also think you're probably in a deficit, unless you're not logging some things. And I think you're probably undereating. This won't slow your weight loss, but it may cause mood swings, overeating, fatigue, poor performance (so less calories burned from movement and less progress in any fitness goals) and eventually other, more serious issues (with hair, nails, etc).

Is 1200 even a good target for you? Did MFP give it to you, or did you set it yourself? Do you exercise on top of this?

I would say:

a) Make sure your logging is good. (I think it looks pretty good from my limited perspective.)
    b) Eat 1200 or more.
    c) If you exercise, log it, and eat at least half of those calories back.
    d) Have more patience. This is probably normal and you will likely lose again soon. This thread may be helpful:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

And IF you set your own target at 1200, consider running a guided setup on MFP and using the target it gives you. With 64 lbs to lose, 1200 is probably too low of a starting point (and you aren't even meeting that sometimes).

Oh and go in and play with your settings if you like. You can create more meal sections and/or rename them, which might help you track your food better. You could create categories like "Morning Snack" or "1 am to 3 am" or whatever would be more useful for you. There's no correct time to eat, so make category adjustments if need be.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Timing is irrelevant. Start using a food scale, it makes a difference.

Agreed. The times of the day when you eat are irrelevant to weight loss. Losses can definitely come in "fits and spurts". It has to do with the way fat cells empty out. Weight loss is not linear and never will be. Ups and downs are completely normal. Be sure you've also measured yourself with a measuring tape and track it all on MFP. Sometimes when the scale isn't moving you're still shrinking.

All of that said, a lack of accuracy in food logging can definitely affect your ability to lose weight. The little differences can add up and negate part of your calorie deficit.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    If you are taking 2 sugars for each cup, that is approx 160 cal of sugar per day assuming your sugars are prepackaged at 1 teaspoon. If you are taking a teaspoon to the sugar bowl, your cal count could be much higher as we all tend to heap our teaspoons. I can think of better ways to spend the cals that might help you be more successful.
  • contact_shelby
    contact_shelby Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you so much for all your advice! My problem is that coffee is the only drink I enjoy! I force down a bottle of water every day as I feel I should but I don't enjoy it. Tried diet coke and flavoured water it's ok. Think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet lol. My food diary is now available for anyone to look at so any advice given will be appreciated.