Need inexpensive, healthy recipes

Options
mcr0980
mcr0980 Posts: 30 Member
So I'm moving into a house next fall with some girls I go to school with, and I will be needing to make and buy all my own food. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions/ideas for what I could make (any meal!) next year. Things that can fit into tupperware are also good, since I'll be needing to bring my own lunches to class and such. I'd like to try out some of these recipes this summer to find some good ones/favorites so any and all suggestions are appreciated!! (:

I don't have any major food issues; I love veggies though. Not a huge fan of red meat, and I'm also trying to not eat as much bread/cereal. Also I don't drink milk, and I only rarely eat greek yogurt. No other yogurt.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Www.budgetbytes.com
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'll try to send some others but my current favorite is very simply made in the crock pot. It's a recipe someone else on mfp suggested.

chicken - thighs or breasts but I use a combination of the two. 6-8 pieces
    one can of corn
    one can of black beans drained - I like to add a second and I use the reduced sodium ones
    top w a jar of salsa - experiment with different ones, hot medium etc

place in a crock pot and cook on low about 7 hours. you can eat the chicken pieces whole but I like to shred and return to the cp for about 30 more minutes. It helps absorb some of the excess juice. Some people like to top w shredded cheese but I have not tried that yet
  • sharkbuttwithbuttsauce
    Options
    My favorite go-to cheap recipe is this - lentils & eggs! I usually poach my egg instead of cooking it. and I also throw in some spinach to get some greens. It makes a TON of food for very little $$$.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-spiced-lentils-baked-egg-14389
  • SweetAzn
    SweetAzn Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love this website www.skinnytaste.com
    All the recipes I've made have come out really good and she even has calorie counts included.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Canned food is affordable and usually works well in tupperware lunches too. Just a few ideas:
    Tuna salad (add yoghurt, red onion, capers, apple and bell pepper and mix with lettuce) or pasta (tomato sauce, olives, red onion, broccoli)
    Lentil salad (lentils, goat cheese, grilled zucchini/eggplant/bell pepper/pumpkin and lettuce) or stew/curry
    Chickpea tagine (chickpeas, tomato sauce, ras el hanout spices, pumpkin, zucchini, eggplant, dried apricots) or salad
    White bean tomato soup (tomato soup with white beans, kale, mushrooms, onion and carrot)
    Crockpot Mexican chicken (simmer drumsticks, canned tomatoes and spices on low heat for 4+ hours, shred the chicken then add black beans and corn and simmer for another hour or so. Serve over rice/with tacos/tortillas/salad)
    Egg fried rice (rice, stir fry veggies, cheap cut pork, eggs)
    Omelette with black beans, cheese and avocado
    French toast (leftover bread, egg, milk - top with fruit)
    Toast with egg and avocado
    Chili (kidney beans, lean ground beef, canned tomato, onion, spices, bell pepper; serve with salad/jacket (sweet) potato/rice)
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely eat healthy on a budget, what stinks about it that I've found is that you want to make something large and eat it for a majority of the week and that saves a lot. Repetition unfortunately saves money. I recommend making a large batch of veggie chili on Sunday in a crockpot or large pot or even ground turkey chili and then eating that for a few days. Soups and stews with beans, vegetables, and potatoes are healthy and cheap. Casserole dishes that you can make at once and eat through the week, like a southwest rice, bean, and veggie bake.

Planning saves the most money so you don't buy perishable items that you have to throw out. Stick to no dairy and less meat dishes, plan for perishable items, and you should be golden.