Push up help

Options
Today I set foot in the weights room at my gym with my sister and had a look at the equipment available. I still feel intimidated but more prepared for my lifting adventure! I am using body builders.com programme for beginners. The first day involves wide and narrow push ups. I have zero upper body strength for a push up! I tried and I can't do even one. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good alternative or how to make it a little (a lot!) easier?
Many thanks for any help!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do them on your knees
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    A program like "Convict Conditioning" has a progression schedule to help you get to where you want to be.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Use a wall or counter. The more of an incline you put yourself at, the easier the push ups will be. Then you can gradually move toward the floor as you improve.
  • Batgirl2292
    Batgirl2292 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do wall pushups. Take several steps from the wall, and put your hands out like you're telling someone STOP. Then without locking your elbows, push yourself down on the wall, keeping your body straight (like a line, abs in and such). Then without bending your back or bending your legs and using your own weight as dead weight, lift your upper half from the wall and then repeat. I've been doing these, increasing the repa, hoping to get to the pushup standpoint eventually. Next step, do 'girly' ones. Pushup on floor stance except on your knees. Be gentle on yourself.
  • lilypond45
    lilypond45 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ooh thank you, I hadn't considered wall push ups!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Start at counter height. Then go to chair height. You'll get to floor in no time. Also you can hold onto Dumbbells when you get to the floor (easier on the wrists).
  • docsandy
    docsandy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey lilipond45, let me recommend the lolo XFit push up app. It's free !! I very much wanted to avoid "little old lady arms" and this was a great help. It's a progressive program starting from where ever you are...good luck.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Do them on your knees

More beneficial to use a wall/counter/table/stairs than your knees.
  • lilypond45
    lilypond45 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have knees that get sore quickly so I am wary about doing push ups on my knees.
  • Ronni_16
    Ronni_16 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Totally agree about the knees part.
    Go to the ground as if you were doing a push up and leave your knees on the ground. It gives you that extra umph to do your push ups.
    I started doing it this way about 5 weeks ago in a class and by the end of the class I was able to do real push ups. Don't worry about how many you can do!! Start by doing 10 knee ones and attempting one real one. You will be surprised how fast you build up your strength!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    do them on a wall...if that's too easy, find an object like stairs or a chair or something...progressively work from a vertical push to a horizontal, true push-up.