Cheap and easy meals for fat cutting whilest strength training?

Options
hi guys! So I've been here lurking for a few months now , I got into the gym about 2 months ago and it's great! I'm doing regular (3-4 days a week) training with a personal trainer lifting and working quite heavy .

I have asked him about foods but he said right now it doesn't matter too much .. However for me it does because I am on a small budget and I am not the main shopper in the house - we all share and the stuff they buy is ridiculous .. Nevermind the fact it's sometimes a case of don't eat all day and then the only choice is eating some of the takeaway they have ! Going without eating is just as bad as eating crap.

My trainer did mention about having a few small meals of rice chicken and broccoli a day in portioned tubs . Is there anything else you guys know of that's cheap ? I also wouldn't mind cooking up a batch of stuff for the week. Anything helps !

Replies

• blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Going out eating cost more. Tuna eggs meat. Why spend £££ out when u can bring the food home and cook it.. U will save.
  • Pigeonitus
    Pigeonitus Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't buy out , my point was that sometimes the only food is unhealthy in the house :( I'm thinking more of , what foods can I make meals with xD
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cheap foods: eggs, tuna, hamburger, frozen or canned fruits and veggies, peanut butter, black beans, chick peas, lentils, peanuts, almonds, pasta, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, rice, rolled oats, tofu, plain yogurt, cottage cheese, pop corn, coffee, tea.
    A can or two of black beans with some rice will be good.
    21y8lyedyrc9.jpg
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Your food choices shouldn't really differ regardless of exercise. You should always aim to get sufficient protein - eggs are cheap, or lean cuts of chicken on special, tins of fish etc.

You might want to eat carbs around training times, for energy and recovery. Rice, potato, beans, lentils, bread, cereal, fruit.

Pick vegies in season, try to prep and plan in bulk to save food wastage and enable you to buy in bulk which is often cheaper
  • KaneNLN
    KaneNLN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Chicken rice and broccoli is not the way forward, trust me i've been through the whole fad at the start of my fitness regime, its boring and dry.

Try mushrooms, onions, peppers, all fried with pasta, chicken, fish, lean beef etc
  • Pigeonitus
    Pigeonitus Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys ! What's the gist on sweet potatoes? I'd love to add these to my diet as I love them more than normal potatoes !
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Pigeonitus wrote: »
    Thanks guys ! What's the gist on sweet potatoes? I'd love to add these to my diet as I love them more than normal potatoes !

They're food. They're yum. Eat them!