Exercise while nannying

Options
Hi all! I'm writing because I work as a nanny all week. I joined a gym and can occassionally get there to use the elliptical/weight machines. However, I often find myself stuck indoors or with the kids all day. I was a runner but had knee surgery in December and am still recovering, so I can't just go for a quick run, and some leg exercises (ie. Squats) are difficult. Does anyone have suggestions for little indoor exercises i can do? Thanks!

Replies

• ToeTapN
    ToeTapN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump. I will get back to you.
  • Chelseahhhhh
    Options
    You could try doing the 100 workout.
    Minus the squats & running of course :]

100 jumping jacks
    90 sit-ups
    80 squats
    70 leg lifts
    60 jumping jacks
    50 sit-ups
    40 squats
    30 leg lifts
    20 jumping jacks
    10 minute run
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    I don't know how old the kids are but its never to early to get them active. Do things with them like obstacle courses. Also my son is 6 and loves to do work out videos with me. Kick boxing is great and it gets the kids moving. Do the kids not like to be out side? You can go to the park and chase them though the play set, I will tell you when I first started this 2 min was enough for me and I was out of breath. With that you can move at your own pace because of your knee. But If you can find something the kids love to do you will be helping them learn healthy habits along with you getting in your exercise.
  • ToeTapN
    ToeTapN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with "mycrazyturtles". Depending on how old the children are and how many there are, you have many different options. I am outside almost all day with my kids taking long walks, bike riding, playing games and just chasing them around. The more active you are with them the more energy you will have and the happier they will be. I also agree that children love exercise indoors as well. You can get some children's yoga tapes from the library. I know from experience that children will jump into just about any video you put on. My kids especially liked zumba and yoga and Pilates.

Pilates is also a great exercise to use while your knee is recovering because there is no impact at all.

I can get more specific if you give me ages. Just keep in mind that the process is gradual. Whatever you choose to do, stick it out for a while and you will see how quickly it grows on all of you.

Best of Luck!