Quit smoking now back to losing weight

Options
Hello, my name is Jessica. I had previously lost 30 pounds but I recently quit smoking, it's been 22 days. I have put on 10 pounds and I'm scared to be back at the weight I started. Suggestions??

Replies

• halslone
    halslone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Start exercising that help me
  • t098327
    t098327 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, Hi my name is Lorie. I quit smoking about two months ago and gained 15lbs. Since I stopped one bad habit I picked up another bad habit which is eating. I'm now trying to begin a new habit so when I have the urge to smoke instead of picking up sweets I am eating fruits, hard sugar free candy, and drinking more water. I have to admit this is hard but it's worth it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I quit last July and it's fantastic!
  • beenz75
    beenz75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Concentrate mainly on stopping smoking first and don't let weight gain bother you at all for now. After 3 months, the cravings will be few and far between and your new healthy set of lungs can exercise off any weight gained within the same time scale. Trying to do both at once is a bad idea as your enthusiasm for stopping smoking will be greatly affected and the first few months are critical. Good luck!
  • MarchKrolik
    MarchKrolik Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello Jessica! Congrats on quitting! Give your body time to adjust to the change in your metabolism. I quit in January and did not start gaining weight until last month. Everyone responds differently to quitting. Get over the smoking addiction first then attack the weight gain. You got this girl! Good luck!
  • jessicaknapp21
    jessicaknapp21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! That was all great advice. I think I know what I have to do. ☺️
  • gemelemom
    gemelemom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi just saw this post. I have been quit only a week but last time I quit I didn't monitor my food intake at all and I put on a lot of weight (part of my excuses to start up again!) I have been scared because of this to quit again but here I am going cold turkey. First three days I was easy on myself due to physical withdrawals but every day since I have walked, had sugar free hard candies (lollipops are good for passing cravings.), drinking water & sparkling water, sucking on oranges, drinking hot lemon and honey. I have lost 1llb this week :) and I really think it's down to the walking and staying active. My advice may not suit you as everyone is different but if you can find a way to log your food even if you are going over your calories this may help just keep you from doing too much damage to your weight loss and walk if you can. Will help you feel good and relieve the stress! It can work either way, some people focus on quitting smoking and forget weight loss to protect their quit but for me I know the only way I will stay quit is to minimise the damage to weight loss so I don't feel too demoralised. Putting on a few is fine but last time I put on two stone in three months! Congratulations with your new healthier lifestyle choice and good luck with the rest of your journey however you decide to tackle it!