Can I eat too much protein?

Options
So i have kind of a silly question. I seem to be going over on my protein...like every day! I'm good in my calories but i guess i just really like meat!

Is this a bad thing?

Replies

• FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I believe that the standard amount of protein that MFP sets our goal for is low. I like to have at least 40% of my calories from protein as my goal. Other things I have read state if you are exercising and strength training you should be eating 1 gm of protein for ever pound of body weight you have. You may want to play with some of those values and see if they help you meeting your goals.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress as long as you're getting all the nutrition you need.
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    You can NOT eat too much protein. My dietitian says protein at least 60-80 grams a dat,sat 5 grams per serving,sugar 5 per serving, sodium 300mg per serving no more than 2400 a day...
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    if your protein is too high then you will have issues going poo..
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I try (note I say TRY) and eat my body weight in protein.

I weigh 146lbs so I TRY and eat 146g of protein a day. Some days are better than other days, but I really try and never be below 100g.
  • notOpel
    notOpel Posts: 46
    Options
    In a word, no.
    You should actually aim to eat 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight, ie. if you weigh 180 pounds then strive for 180 grams of protein a day. This is especially true if your working out, even more so if your strength training (which everyone should, it really helps with losing fat). When any of the "good" nutrients on you MFP diary go into the red (like protein and fiber) just think of them as bonus points!
  • chanel5_1987
    Options
    Girl, Im a protein LOVER too. I stay with a steak on my plate. lol
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You can NOT eat too much protein. My dietitian says protein at least 60-80 grams a dat,sat 5 grams per serving,sugar 5 per serving, sodium 300mg per serving no more than 2400 a day...

It is very possible to eat too much protein. Too much is a rather high and hard to attain number unless you are downing supplements like crazy. If you eat too much you will have kidney troubles, digestion issues, and urinary problems.

1gram per 1 pound is a maximum you can safely keep to, especially if you are doing heavy weight training often.
    Anything above 25-40 grams a day is probably a great start. MFP puts the daily limit at a very low level.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    MFP protein level is way too low. You should be getting about 1g of protein for each pound of body weight. I take At Large Nutrition's Nitrean protein powder twice a day to help meet this level. Once first thing in the morning and once before bed.
  • Tressa_T
    Tressa_T Posts: 19
    Options
    here i am freaking out about protein and i'm not even eating ENOUGH! Thanks for the great advice!
  • Tressa_T
    Tressa_T Posts: 19
    Options
    btw now i want steak
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    btw now i want steak

LOL. Me too and I don't eat red meat very often.