I don't find myself hungry! HELP!

Options
TNoire
TNoire Posts: 642 Member
I recently got back on the wagon with losing weight some days I find myself not that hungry, I can go though a day (like today) and after my walk have a yogurt with some melon, lunch i Had a subway veggie 12" with no cheese and very little dressing and tons of veggies on 9 grain honey oat bread, and for snack I had some cheese with pretzel bread, my carbs around 129ish and calories are in the 900s, when I hit complete food diary MFP tosses this msg at me......

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

Even during weight loss, it's important to meet your body's basic nutrient and energy needs. Over time, not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects & other serious health problems.

To safely meet your goals:
Focus on consuming nutrient-rich foods and beverages
Check your progress in MyFitnessPal throughout the day
Add nutritious snacks between meals as needed

some days i find myself able to keep between 1200-1300 cals and 120 carbs or less and do well but some days like today I am just not hungry, does anyone else go though this? what do you do? how do increase your cals or do you force yourself to eat or? Any help is appreciated !! Thank you!

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    How was your eating habits before you got "back on the wagon"? Were you hungry then? What's changed?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    It's important to eat enough to fuel your body's activity and to ensure you're meeting your macro and micro nutrient needs.

Under eating a day or two once in a blue moon? Probably not a problem. But consistently under eating opens you up to a number of health issues.

If the foods you've chosen make it hard to meet your minimums, try incorporating a few calorie dense foods into your day. Peanut butter, avocados, ice cream etc
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You've lost 83 pounds, nice job! Nutrient dense foods like nut butters, nuts, avocado, etc.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I haven't felt 'hungry' since about 2002. At times I will feel sick, light headed or dizzy but never hungry. I eat by the clock.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Perhaps look at your weekly average -- some days will be higher and some days lower than others.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How was your eating habits before you got "back on the wagon"? Were you hungry then? What's changed?

^^^This. How did you become overweight if you have trouble eating 1200 calories now? And I'm not sure why you're so focused on carbs, but it does seem like you certainly need more protein. As for calories, just eat more calorie dense foods like peanut butter. I believe someone has made a pretty comprehensive list on the boards somewhere, so maybe just do a search for it.

Edit: Here, I found the list...http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Hunger will catch up to you eventually. Yes, you should be eating the recommended amount, but a day here and there without doing so won't hurt you.
  • beastmode2718
    beastmode2718 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm having the opposite problem I meet my calorie goal and find myself starving for most of the day but I'm used to eating well over 2000 cals a day anyone have advice for that I know eat more food that's better for you but I'm still hungry
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I'm having the opposite problem I meet my calorie goal and find myself starving for most of the day but I'm used to eating well over 2000 cals a day anyone have advice for that I know eat more food that's better for you but I'm still hungry

What's your average macro breakdown? Are you getting sufficient fat and protein? They tend to keep you feeling fuller longer than an equal amount of carb calories
  • TNoire
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I graduated high school in January 2000 I was around 135lbs and in shape, could bench my weight you name it, but I had a habit of smoking which I quit smoking shortly after graduation, within 2 years I gained almost 200lbs, swapping smoking with food fast food junk food etc and being lazy. March 2009 my doctors told me I needed to do something with being over weight, so off I went on my journey, in 19months I was able to drop off 156lbs, I went from 330lbs to 176lbs in those 19 months eating healthy and eating out once or twice a month to treat myself, then I went back to old habits of eating unhealthy not all the time it was kinda 50/50 being healthy and not being healthy, I was back up around 100lbs, now as of May 2015, ive been back on track still down 83 but have 117 left to my goal, that might help with a bit of background :) Thanks for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming !

ps... Also back in my husbands army days he used to body build he has me watching protein and carbs not so much on calories.
  • TNoire
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You've lost 83 pounds, nice job! Nutrient dense foods like nut butters, nuts, avocado, etc.

Thanks! Actually when I had that veggie sub today I asked the lady to smear some avocado on it :D
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    TNoire wrote: »
    I graduated high school in January 2000 I was around 135lbs and in shape, could bench my weight you name it, but I had a habit of smoking which I quit smoking shortly after graduation, within 2 years I gained almost 200lbs, swapping smoking with food fast food junk food etc and being lazy. March 2009 my doctors told me I needed to do something with being over weight, so off I went on my journey, in 19months I was able to drop off 156lbs, I went from 330lbs to 176lbs in those 19 months eating healthy and eating out once or twice a month to treat myself, then I went back to old habits of eating unhealthy not all the time it was kinda 50/50 being healthy and not being healthy, I was back up around 100lbs, now as of May 2015, ive been back on track still down 83 but have 117 left to my goal, that might help with a bit of background :) Thanks for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming !

ps... Also back in my husbands army days he used to body build he has me watching protein and carbs not so much on calories.

You need to look at CALORIES for weight loss. Protein and carbs are for muscle building and fueling workouts respectively. There are people who eat at every macro breakdown who are both losing weight and gaining weight. The calories are what makes changes in mass happen.
  • TNoire
    Options
    But don't building muscle help with burning fat? I remember something being said about that on my biggest loser workout dvd from Bob Harper