Cardio vs strength training

Options
I must say I am a beast with my cardio and that's all I usually do in the gym....is it bad if I don't strength train? What's the advantages besides the toning part? I wanna lose my weight 1st n then tone so can I skip strength training 4 right nw ? Or does it aid n weight loss along with the cardio?

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    All I did as far as exercise goes when I lost weight was run and cycle. As a result, I lost a lot of weight...but I'm now struggling with being "skinny fat," having a higher body fat percentage than desirable and being squishy in places, mainly my tummy. I'm now starting a heavy weight program to remedy this, and I wouldn't say stop cardio completely, but I would definitely incorporate strength training and eat adequate protein if you want to retain muscle.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm omw to the gym now. I do both, cardio burns those calories and speed up your metabosm Now. but I want long term results. Strength training will build muscle and you will burn more calories at rest.... Basically it speeds up your metabolism.
  • MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I must say I am a beast with my cardio and that's all I usually do in the gym....is it bad if I don't strength train? What's the advantages besides the toning part? I wanna lose my weight 1st n then tone so can I skip strength training 4 right nw ? Or does it aid n weight loss along with the cardio?

I'm basically in the same situation myself. I do alot of cardio and yoga. I'm interested in strength training now, but I'm not quite sure where to start. I'm sure it's necessary but I'm clueless about it.
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ok I understand!!!! Thanks guys!
  • simply_bubbz
    Options
    kygirl8282 wrote: »

I'm basically in the same situation myself. I do alot of cardio and yoga. I'm interested in strength training now, but I'm not quite sure where to start. I'm sure it's necessary but I'm clueless about it.
    Me 2!! I don't knw how many reps 2 do what machines 2 use or nthn!!!!!

• MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    It's a bit intimidating to me anyway lol I'm sure there are some discussions in these forums somewhere that would lead us in the right direction, I just haven't gotten around to searching them out yet. If you come across a link or something helpful please share it with me.
  • simply_bubbz
    Options
    I sure will and vice-versa! !!!
  • tashakyle912
    tashakyle912 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What are some good cardio and strength training for arms legs and stomach and buttocks for stay at home mom??
  • MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    I sure will and vice-versa! !!!

WILL DO!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Edit: Missed the stay at home mom part, heavy weights aren't really an option unless you have a home gym, haha. My bad.
  • MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    What are some good cardio and strength training for arms legs and stomach and buttocks for stay at home mom??

One of my regular go to cardio workouts for home is a Jillian Michaels workout. It's on YouTube for free at the moment. It's an hour give or take. Even now that I'm pretty good at it, it makes me sweat like no other!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options
    JM is great! I used to do 30 Day Shred, which I loved.
  • Immerito
    Immerito Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves has a bodyweight exercises option for those who lack a gym membership. If you are a member, do Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Strong lifts 5x5.
  • simply_bubbz
    Options
    I just downloaded strong lift bt im totally confused on it..i need a simple app to telll me how many reps for a specific part of the body 4 a type of weight something like that
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I used to just do cardio. I ended up "skinny fat" just like someone else said. I started lifting. I look better AND can eat MORE now. Stronglifts is good. If you have a trainer at your gym, see if you can get an intro session to strength training, so you can be shown correct form, etc. My husband bought 3 sessions from a trainer at our gym for $100. The trainer showed him how to use some machines and showed him the correct form with a bar. It was totally worth the $.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Mega dittos to the comments about weight training AND cardio being complimentary to each other. You need BOTH to have a truly good body & solid fitness. I also had the "gaunt looking, skinny-fat" problem after losing 100 lbs. Over the last 4-6 months Ive added back about 10-12 lbs and have lean muscle showing now so I look better and feel better too! Im much stronger as well. Loving it!

Weight Training = LOOK GOOD!
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Go to www.bodybuilding.com They have programs that will tell you how many reps and sets of a particular exercise. There are different plans available, so just pick one that seems to be simple and get started. Once you start, you can then branch out to different exercises or plans.