Stronglifts 5 x 5

Options
Anyone doing, and advice for a newbie. I have lifted weight in the past but not heavy for a very long time. I have had neck surgery which has definitely affected my upper body strength and also have arthritic knees.

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Follow the program. Start from the bar.
    If the bar is too heavy, start with a lighter bar.
    He has vids on his site on how to do each exercise. Watch them.
    Video yourself each set, watch and correct.
    Focus on form & technique.
    Let the weight come with time.
    Join the Stronglifts group here on MFP.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    vorgas wrote: »

this
  • paulross358
    paulross358 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you start with calisthenics. Build a strong foundation and once you are proficient at it do weights. Depends on what your goal is however. 5 by 5 will definitely build strength. Add me bro
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Honestly, get cleared by the doctor since you've had surgery.

Then follow this advice:
    vorgas wrote: »

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I just started yesterday. I'm on a MWF schedule. Feel free to add me and good luck! :)
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I just started today! I think I'm cheating though...I'm doing the exercise sequence but adding way more weight (I didn't want to start out with just the bar). Couldn't figure out how to change that without having to buy the app.

Feel free to add me though!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options
    I just started today! I think I'm cheating though...I'm doing the exercise sequence but adding way more weight (I didn't want to start out with just the bar). Couldn't figure out how to change that without having to buy the app.

There's a reason they have you start with the bar, but oh well.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Sigh...
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    What is the reason they have you start with the bar?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor ok'd you to lift?

Also, it you have an arthritic knee, squatting 3 x a week may be too much for it. Try to be aware of aches and pains. DOMS (muscle soreness) is fine - but it you get joint pain, I would ease back - possibly try squatting just 2 x a week.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Sigh...

Is that not right? I'm new to lifting. I thought that jumping into it too quickly and aggressively puts you at risk for injury, but your less than informative reply leads me to think otherwise.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What is your 5RM, with good form?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Sigh...

Is that not right? I'm new to lifting. I thought that jumping into it too quickly and aggressively puts you at risk for injury, but your less than informative reply leads me to think otherwise.

You are correct - however, you do not necessarily start with the for your working set. If you are a new lifter you start with the bar and then add weight slowly to see what you can easily do.

Explanation here:

"The weight you use is going to be determined by the amount you can do for 5 repetitions with proper execution and technique.

The way the "first day" is explained in Starting Strength, the trainee warms up with the bar, then adds a bit of weight and does a set of 5. The bar speed will be identical from set to set. Continue to add weight and do sets of 5 until the speed of the barbell begins to slow.. Keep the weight there and perform 2 more sets with this weight. That is your first "3 sets of 5" workout for that exercise.

Yes, this is low. It allows for a certain fudge factor that is present when dealing with a novice's ability to evaluate his own technical performance.

Generally, if a newb says "I benched 135 x 5 for the first time, my technique was great!", what he really means is that "I benched 135 x 5, but I probably should've only used about 120 or 125"

Be on the safe side, start lighter than you think you need to, and go from there. This also helps develop a base of conditioning with slightly less weight than absolute max, which helps reduce initial DOMS.

Let me say that once again.

Start off using weight that is LOWER than you think you can handle, and progress upward. It is better to use weight that is too light than weight that is too heavy."

From here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

• WeAreSageMode
    WeAreSageMode Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I dont remember much of 5x5. But Ive started with the bar for every single exercise when I started. Then I went up in weight every single time I went to the gym. Start light. Get your form down. Progressive overload.
  • josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I am not new to weight training, have done P90X and other stuff. It has been years since my neck surgery. The only reason I stated that was because I just lack upper body strength due to it. Regarding my knees, I only plan on doing this twice a week because that is what my schedule allows as I am also a runner and need to get my runs in. I plan on starting with just the bar first few days, unless it is way to easy. I believe my gym only has Smith machine so may have to adapt some things.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    What is the reason they have you start with the bar?

So you can get your form down before you start adding weight. Without good form your lifts aren't doing much good and you're prone to hurt yourself.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I am not new to weight training, have done P90X and other stuff. It has been years since my neck surgery. The only reason I stated that was because I just lack upper body strength due to it. Regarding my knees, I only plan on doing this twice a week because that is what my schedule allows as I am also a runner and need to get my runs in. I plan on starting with just the bar first few days, unless it is way to easy. I believe my gym only has Smith machine so may have to adapt some things.

Those machines are the devil. Your gym doesn't have squat racks? If that's the case, you need to find a new gym.
  • josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Those machines are the devil. Your gym doesn't have squat racks? If that's the case, you need to find a new gym.

Someone else told me they would help with my form. Cannot afford a different gym so I have to use what I have available.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Someone else told me they would help with my form. Cannot afford a different gym so I have to use what I have available.

Honestly, I would use dumbbells over the smith machine.