Baking With Xylitol

Options
morrprop
morrprop Posts: 13 Member
anyone ever use this ? Ok to use? Any suggestions for something better ?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Baking with sugar substitutes can sometimes affect recipes. There's nothing wrong with it. But if you're trying to bake with it, it may take some trial and error if it doesn't work like regular table sugar.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Xylitol will stop yeast from working so no recipes which need yeast. It also doesn't caramelize so your cookies/cakes will look pale.

In some people, it can have a laxative effect. If you're already using it as a sweetener regularly you're probably fine, if not, I'd experiment before doing a big batch of baking in case it doesn't agree with you.
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What the above posters said.
    I occasionally use xylitol. It can have a bit of a cooling mouth-feel and it's not quite as sweet as sugar. If you don't want to risk experimenting, I'd suggest only using recipes other people have developed that are tried and true.

Also for some reason, it doesn't taste sweet at all to some people (I'm not one of them, but I've heard others complain...)
    Personally I've used it in carrot muffins and brownies before, and it's worked a treat for me (couldn't tell the difference from sugar, and no stomach upsets either!)