lose 20lbs in a month?

Options
coleenculla
coleenculla Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hi, I'm new here. i successfully completed the GM diet with at least 30mins cardio everyday, last week, and it is very effective. i lost more than 8lbs in a week,. What can you suggest i do after the GM diet to lose at least 20lbs in a month? or is it even possible? thanks in advance

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Losing 20lb in a month is not healthy or sustainable.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Well, it's certainly possible if you remove a limb...

That 8lbs you lost will have been primarily water weight, this happens to most people when they start eating in a calorie deficit. You won't keep up that rate of loss, and if you do it'll be horrifically unhealthy. Healthy recommended rate loss is a maximum of 2lbs/week. You might be able to get away with a bit more than that if your profile is correct and you have 100lbs to lose, but you shouldn't really aim for more than that without medical supervision.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The first week is usually water loss. After that it will be about 1.5 to two pounds a week. Go strong and bold and you can reach your goals. :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    So you "successfully completed" a fad diet that lies about its association with General Motors and now want to find another crash diet plan? (I hope you realilze all you lost on that was water weight ... not really a successful completion of anything)

That is a completely unhealthy plan. Reconsider, set realistic goals, then come back to us.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well, it's certainly possible if you remove a limb...

That 8lbs you lost will have been primarily water weight, this happens to most people when they start eating in a calorie deficit. You won't keep up that rate of loss, and if you do it'll be horrifically unhealthy. Healthy recommended rate loss is a maximum of 2lbs/week. You might be able to get away with a bit more than that if your profile is correct and you have 100lbs to lose, but you shouldn't really aim for more than that without medical supervision.

listen to da Fairy
  • szecsenyi
    szecsenyi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    not possible
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with some of the people here and say it is possible and maybe not even that unhealthy depending on your weight to start with (a 400lb person losing a little over 1% body weight a week would manage 20lbs in a month). I still wouldn't advise it though unless you have a great deal of weight to lose (1% of your body weight per week is a decent rule of thumb, but you still should consult your doctor before trying anything that could be considered extreme.)

Doesn't matter what diet you are on, the only way to do it is to take in a significantly lower amount of calories a day than you expend. Since 1lb = 3500kcal that means you must be at a deficit of 70000kcal in a monthly period. Assuming 30 days in a month that means a deficit of 2333kcal per day which you can see is a large deficit when a lot of us would find that many calories would maintain our day to day weights so we would either have to workout for several hours a day if we wanted to eat and hit that goal (not advisable without replacing at least some of those calories from exercise), or starve ourselves which is also obviously bad. It is best to try to get in to a sustainable healthy routine rather than focusing on short term gains (losses?) that are usually put back on once the person doing them realises they can't maintain that level of loss. As others have said, your first week losses will be partially from losing water stored in your muscles so don't get disheartened when you don't see those numbers again from doing the same level of diet/exercise.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with some of the people here and say it is possible and maybe not even that unhealthy depending on your weight to start with (a 400lb person losing a little over 1% body weight a week would manage 20lbs in a month). I still wouldn't advise it though unless you have a great deal of weight to lose (1% of your body weight per week is a decent rule of thumb, but you still should consult your doctor before trying anything that could be considered extreme.)

Doesn't matter what diet you are on, the only way to do it is to take in a significantly lower amount of calories a day than you expend. Since 1lb = 3500kcal that means you must be at a deficit of 70000kcal in a monthly period. Assuming 30 days in a month that means a deficit of 2333kcal per day which you can see is a large deficit when a lot of us would find that many calories would maintain our day to day weights so we would either have to workout for several hours a day if we wanted to eat and hit that goal (not advisable without replacing at least some of those calories from exercise), or starve ourselves which is also obviously bad. It is best to try to get in to a sustainable healthy routine rather than focusing on short term gains (losses?) that are usually put back on once the person doing them realises they can't maintain that level of loss. As others have said, your first week losses will be partially from losing water stored in your muscles so don't get disheartened when you don't see those numbers again from doing the same level of diet/exercise.

morbidly obese more prone to developing gallstones due to rapid weight loss (eg above 3.3lbs per week)

but medics would weigh that against other risk factors
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    20 lbs in a month is an unrealistic expectation. What's the hurry?
  • sayoqod
    sayoqod Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not a sprint. I'm willing to bet you didn't gain 20 pounds in a month, right? The healthy range for weight loss is usually between 1 and 2 pounds a week. Aim for that - any more is not sustainable, and you'll just gain it all back.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    not gonna happen …

did you gain 20 pounds in a month?

why do you want to lose 20 pounds in a month? Let me guess…summer?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    So you "successfully completed" a fad diet that lies about its association with General Motors and now want to find another crash diet plan? (I hope you realilze all you lost on that was water weight ... not really a successful completion of anything)

That is a completely unhealthy plan. Reconsider, set realistic goals, then come back to us.

what is the GM diet? Eat nothing but chryslers????
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    How about you stop dieting and make a lifestyle change that you can keep up? One that means once you stop with the whole fad-dieting phase you won't just go back to 'regular' eating habits and gain all that weight, plus more, back?

The only 'diet' I will ever use is one called CICO; Calories in vs Calories out. It's free, effective, healthy and totally sustainable!
  • kwbroach
    kwbroach Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what anyone says, it is possible and not that hard to do. Healthy? That just depends on you and your on overall health. I really don't suggest a gimmick diet though. You will grow tired of it and once you go back to a 'normal diet' it will be hard to keep off or maintain. I lost 21lbs my first month and so far a total of 37lbs is 2 months. It's truly a life style change. I've gone up and down and struggled with eating my entire life. Everyone if different, you really just have to find what works for you. If you don't lose 20 in a month, so what, go for 15. Cut the calories and do your cardio... and the weight will come off!! But 1 a year from now, you still need to be watching calories and doing your cardio!! Good Luck!! Keep up the awesome work!!!
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

morbidly obese more prone to developing gallstones due to rapid weight loss (eg above 3.3lbs per week)

I was pretty careful in my wording as I knew it is the type of thing people will jump on if I'm not. I never said it was healthy to lose that much weight, just that it might not be that unhealthy. I also said to check with a doctor before trying anything that could be considered extreme (which I'm assuming the op would consider 20lbs/month extreme based on the replies and their own post and my following paragraph). To make half of one of my sentences bold seems a little disingenuous to me.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Whaaaaaaaat? GM can barely do their core business (building cars) and now they're getting into diet plans?
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I was pretty careful in my wording as I knew it is the type of thing people will jump on if I'm not. I never said it was healthy to lose that much weight, just that it might not be that unhealthy. I also said to check with a doctor before trying anything that could be considered extreme (which I'm assuming the op would consider 20lbs/month extreme based on the replies and their own post and my following paragraph). To make half of one of my sentences bold seems a little disingenuous to me.

not disingenuous (you do know what that word means right?)

I was referencing that part only, which is how it works, not picking up on your entire post and giving further information to that specific point not discounting what you said

I also was pretty careful in my wording

• serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

This made me LOL :D
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of it until now but having just consulted Dr Google all I have to say is that it makes the Military diet look like a solid nutritional plan. *facepalm*