Foods you eat/don't eat the day before a weigh-in?

Options
Apparently one should avoid sodium as it retains water. What other foods stay in your system for longer and should be avoided to stretch for the lowest number on the scale?

Replies

• ramius
    ramius Posts: 91
    Options
    Besides the sodium I'm not sure.. but what I've noticed is that a good nights sleep before the "weigh in" seems to net me a little additional lbs off than if I skimp on my sleeping that day.. just something interesting I've noticed over time..

weird huh??
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I try to get in 7 hours of sleep the night before a weigh in, keep sodium intake to 1500 mg or less, and I don't eat after 730 or 8pm. I generally weigh in around 7am so that gives me a good 11-12 hour fasting before.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't eat Sugar. That is far to easy to store directly as fat.

I do drink lots of water.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Carbs can increase weight, so sugar, bread, etc. can show up just from the bloat with water to carry the glucose around.

I'll share a cheat I used to do (and I'm not saying we should cheat!) When I had been doing Atkins, I would eat a bit of sugar free candy because it really, uhm, cleaned me out. So the next morning I wouldn't weigh as much. TMI, I know...
  • justkelley
    justkelley Posts: 53
    Options
    I don't eat any beef or pork for dinner the night before. I weigh in the am and I notice that after eating even a small amount of beef or pork my weight is usually at least 2 lbs heavier.
  • lgtahoe
    lgtahoe Posts: 96
    Options
    I once read an article about behind the scenes secrets of the Biggest Loser, and there was something about them eating A LOT of asparagus before a weigh-in. I can't remember what the reason was.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    bump..reading this later...
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I once read an article about behind the scenes secrets of the Biggest Loser, and there was something about them eating A LOT of asparagus before a weigh-in. I can't remember what the reason was.

It think it is because it will flush you out. But be warned that eating lots of asparagus will cause urine to stink!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I have never even thought about it hmmmmmm Something to ponder
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    I guess I've never thought about it. I want my weigh-ins to be as accurate as possible, so I don't really bother with any sort of fasting or special eating the night/day before, I just eat like a "regular" day.
  • Amers85
    Amers85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I guess I've never thought about it. I want my weigh-ins to be as accurate as possible, so I don't really bother with any sort of fasting or special eating the night/day before, I just eat like a "regular" day.
    This is how I feel as well. Doing something special the day/night before defeats the purpose of honestly weighing in, in my opinion.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    carbs tend to retain water, so maybe cut back on those too a little bit?
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    A glass (or 2, or....lol) of red wine (well, prob any kind) will eliminate water weight.
  • valeriaehines
    valeriaehines Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat watermelon and grapes the day before I weigh in.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I need to make sure I get enough sleep a few days before a weigh in. When I'm sleep deprived, I want to load up on carbs to stay awake. The cravings are insane when I'm tired. I also take a water pill every other day. I make sure I take one the day before a weigh in. They really work to keep the ankle swell in check.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options

It think it is because it will flush you out. But be warned that eating lots of asparagus will cause urine to stink!

I do understand that asparagus gives urine a stronger smell, but I just thought your comment was funny at first glance. In my head I said "Doesn't urine already stink?!" LOL
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I don't eat or do anything differently before a weigh-in. It seems like trickery lol, it's all going to be the same in the end so I'm not trying to manipulate the numbers on a certain day.
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.... weigh in is tomorrow. =-)
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    This is how I feel as well. Doing something special the day/night before defeats the purpose of honestly weighing in, in my opinion.

Ditto here, surely then every week you need to repeat the same 'trick' in order to be consistent so that 0.5lb the trick lost you makes no difference at all long term as it's the same 0.5lb every week, not an additional loss.
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Ditto here, surely then every week you need to repeat the same 'trick' in order to be consistent so that 0.5lb the trick lost you makes no difference at all long term as it's the same 0.5lb every week, not an additional loss.

I agree with this as well..... finally got to read the thread.... I was hoping maybe it might go into food items that *ahem..cough* bind a person up. But nope. I did find it interesting though in regards to sleep. I will need to do some research on that as I have never really gave it much thought.