No weight loss yet

Options
suerontur3
suerontur3 Posts: 18 Member
I have been counting calories and exercising lightly for two full weeks and I have not lost ONE pound! WHY!!!!!!

Replies

• kansas_km
    kansas_km Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Someone just posted something that said you should give your body 3 weeks to adjust to trying to lose weight.
  • gregsrappel
    gregsrappel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree just keep focusing on what you want to accomplish. Maybe drop your calorie count a little more and move to a heavier cardio
  • suerontur3
    Options
    Thanks, I will try, I am not giving up! :)
  • ilijap
    ilijap Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There are two most likely options. Either you are not counting correctly (e.g. missing oil for fried food), or your calories don't come from a good source.

While a count is a good approximation, a calorie is not a calorie. What kind of food have you been eating? Try avoiding carbohydrates as much as possible (especially various sugary foods), and instead eating more healthy fat and proteins (fish, nuts, legumes, oils, meat, poultry, eggs).
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    suerontur3 wrote: »
    I have been counting calories and exercising lightly for two full weeks and I have not lost ONE pound! WHY!!!!!!

Just give your body some time, it will let loose of the fat when it's ready. Two weeks is nothing. Focus on consistency, keep doing what you know is right, and the weight will come off.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ilijap wrote: »
    There are two most likely options. Either you are not counting correctly (e.g. missing oil for fried food), or your calories don't come from a good source.

While a count is a good approximation, a calorie is not a calorie. What kind of food have you been eating? Try avoiding carbohydrates as much as possible (especially various sugary foods), and instead eating more healthy fat and proteins (fish, nuts, legumes, oils, meat, poultry, eggs).

Ignore all of this except the bold. The only reason to cut things out is for medical issues.
  • openlynoted
    openlynoted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Two weeks is a short amount compared to an entire life time!
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, making sure you are eating the right portions. Sooner or later the weight will start coming off. As for giving up carbs, it might work but it is not necessary for everone (if at all). Just eat the right kind. I eat bread, potatoes, rice, pasta or other carb at every single meal, every single one! And I am losing about three pounds a week. I just make sure all the food I eat is nutritionally dense, measure or weigh all my food and make sure I enter it so I don't lose count of the calories consumed. Also, I make sure I eat plenty protein and fiber so I don't get too hungry between meals. Leafy greens and sprouts are great filler ups.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

^^ Ummm no.

OP All you need to lose weight is a caloric deficit you dont need to cut out any group of foods. Yes eating healthier foods is great but not necessary to lose weight. In reality when you cut or limit carbs is another way of creating that calories deficit but if this is a life long lifestyle change you need to be realistic and learn to eat all food groups but in moderation unless you have health issues that limits any food group. 2 weeks is not enough time to give your body time to adjust. When I started I didnt see any real weight loss for 4 weeks. Take your measurements and in a month check them, you can lose inches and not see any number change in the scale. go into this site http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results and put in your stats and it will tell you how much you need to eat in order to lose weight. Also make sure to weigh weigh weigh everything liquids in cups and everything else on a scale. Also check this out its for new members and has lots of info. Good luck!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

• tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It will take about three weeks to start but be absolutely honest about portion size, contents and exercise. Don't say "skimmed milk" if using semi skimmed, etc.
    Some tips to keep you going.
    1. Set a target of just 2lbs or 1kg in one week.
    2. Be brutally honest about everything you each.
    3. Stick to a list when you go grocery shopping. If I buy sweets, caskes, biscuits etc I will eat them. No sure how many people ever call into you for tea or coffee, but I always had a stash just in cash the Pope arrived. He never did.
    4. Take a short walk each evening. This will motivate you to not have treats late at night.
    5. Remember these pages are full of people who transformed from thinking they couldn't do it, to thinking they could do a little, to doing a little, then doing a little more, them a bit more...take small steps.

You can do it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

No....

Give it another week... if no loss, recheck the logging accuracy... it is easy to not log some things like a small handful of this, or a bite of that, and also not log what you cook your food in such as butter, oil, or just extra added extra stuff you may not be counting... I have little wiggle room and have to log everything...

No weight loss after 3 weeks, double check the logging (use a food scale... I cannot stress enough about this) and make sure you are not eating back too many exercise calories if you eat them back (MFP way over estimates calorie burns) and you may just be eating too much..
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

When it comes to weight loss, it doesn't matter what you eat, it matters how MUCH you eat. Unless for medical reasons, you don't have to give up carbs.

OP, two weeks really isn't enough time to say it isn't working. You could be retaining water from exercise, sodium intake, or TOM/ovulation if you're still going through it. Make sure you log everything accurately (including using a food scale, if need be) and give it another couple weeks before you need to change something.
  • Dday0829
    Dday0829 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I happen to agree with the above quote. You may be like me, I have to get a handle on my carbs to lose weight. It won't hurt to try. I don't deprive myself. I make better food choices when I do include carbs. Also, you will feel much better without a lot of sugary foods and carbs which will in turn give you more energy to work out harder! I have been doing this for 13 days now and I haven't felt this good in a long time. I lost 5# the first week and can't wait to weigh in this Saturday. You can do it!!!!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    it took me a few weeks for things to start moving in a generally downward direction
    weigh your food if you are struggling with portions and it's generally more accurate
    drink water/fluids
    watch your sodium intake as it lead to water retention

if you don't want to eat less, move more. or do both.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

There are 3 reasons weight loss isn't happening

1) You're eating more than you think you are
    2) You're not burning as much as you think you are (and if you're using MFP's calorie burn estimates, those tend to be grossly over estimated)
    3) The most likely reason: a combination of # 1 and # 2

You have to eat less than you burn to lose. It takes time to lose it, and it might come off slowly, in chunks of weight or potentially all of a sudden you'll be like OMG I weigh 5lbs less. It will happen if you stick to it but you have to be super honest with yourself about it. Even if you only log XXX amount of calories, your body knows what you eat always.
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Be patient. Your fitness journey and health is more than a number on the scale. Make sure to cut out processed foods and sugar from your diet. Eat 5 small meals a day based on your daily calories. What type of exercise are you doing, you might need to step it up. To be successful you need to have a solid plan in place and stick to the 3 keys of fitness: Nutrition, Exercise, and Support. Feel free to add me.
  • suerontur3
    Options
    I actually eat very good foods, low carbs. I did Weight Watchers for 3 years. Over the winter I gained 10 pounds. I recently went off of a anxiety medication. I want to try something different than WW. I am counting calories. I am doing 1200 and I don't eat all of those calories. I started a weight loss shake. It's probably the exercise part that I should increase. I go to the gym and the the treadmill 2-3 times a week. But, I lost 50lbs on WW with very little exercise. I will keep plugging along. I love reading all comments, thanks.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP forums.

It was two months before I lost the first pound but did go down an inch on my belt. That was last year when I was 63.

My theory is because I was in such bad health that my body organs had to recover a bit of health before the weight loss could start unlike when I was 33.

Keep up your efforts and use Google a lot to learn more about weight loss research from the past 10 years. That helped me understand what was going on in my 60+ year old body.

Best of luck.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I'll admit I haven't read anyone else's responses yet.

OP are you using a food scale to weigh your food? If not you may be eating more than you think.